Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
TNX Veteran
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had a LOT of people ask/refer to my post about this. The original is buried way in my build thread. Given that several have benefited from it, I figured I would finally give it it's own space (supplemented with pics from @Allshookup) so it is easier to find.

Goal: Allow for ample clearance in the front 33" tires combined with 1.25", .1.5", or 2" wheel spacers. This also worked for my Titan swap.

Estimated Time to Complete: 1 hour

Tools Required:

• Tin snips / angle grinder with cutoff wheel / Dremel with cutoff wheel
  • Pliers
  • Heat gun
  • Plain ol' scissors
  • Touch-up paint
Jack up the front and take off your front wheels so you have more room to work. I also took off my fender liners.

I cut notches in in two places: right below this fender-liner mount and at the bottom, right in front of the pinch weld. Tin snips worked well enough. But I'm sure a cutoff wheel could do the same thing. Use whatever you have available since the cut is small.

Next, I used a pair of pliers (with a shop towel between the jaws to soften them up) to bend that corner inwards.

I took my cutting wheel and cut off some pieces of metal hanging out that didn't really fit anywhere. At this point, I applied some black touch up paint to paint the edges of where I cut. I did this just so it wouldn't rust. The cut gonna be hidden behind the plastic anyway.

Progression of melting the plastic back

Take your scissors and trim off the obvious excess at the very bottom of the fender liner. Then use your heat gun to mold the plastic (basically re-doing the Melt-Mod) over your folded metal. You can see by the plastic where the fender would normally be.

And well, that's it. Put your fender liner & wheel back on and you are good to go. I told you it was simple...

Here is a before/after comparison pic - I am basically just removing that sharp corner that protrudes out at the bottom (red line follows fender edge):

See how the fender in this pic has a smooth slope downwards at the bottom? Gained ~2 or so inches of clearances from this which was plenty for 1.5" wheel spacers. Best of all, no one (even most X owners) would ever be able to tell that this trim has been completed!

_WIDE_

Should I keep a running tally of those who have done it? lol

List of people with good looking Xterras:
- @AlbatrossCafe
- @IssacHunter
- @Allshookup
- @eighty
- @jblaski
- @TurboChris
- @JFanaselle
- @charpe3
- @Jyoung992
- @caain

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ok to add to the knowledge base here..... here's some pics from when I did mine.

Initially I just did the melt mod. Wasn't enough......so then I notched it as per Albatross's pics and bent up the fender corner with a pair of channel locks and a rubber mallet.....buttoned it back up but was still getting some rubbing under flex.

Here you can see where I folded the corner up (and later trimmed the pinch weld)

Tip: To make the notch I simply made two cuts..then grabbed the middle with medium channel lock pliers and rocked it back and forth till it broke off.

So I went ahead and went whole hog on it. Didn't even pull the tires and didn't need too.

Instead of hammering and bending over the pinch weld like Albatross did I just hit it with the cut off wheel.

Now I could bend/fold the fender liner in and after some light trimming....heat it up and contour it in the new recessed area there.....

images upload

image upload free

Drill a new hole and using the original fender trim screw attach the liner in it's new place

Now.......since I was having so much fun trimming.....and the previous owner had hacked up the fender liner in the front.....(I think in an attempt to access the fog lights? I don't know since it didn't have fogs in it when I bought it..) I figured, why stop now? I could see that I was actually getting really close and getting some contact with the front liner as well......

screenshot tool

So I trimmed a small amount off the bumper cover in the front bottom (about .5") and re-positioned the fender liner in about an inch and gained additional clearance on the front side as well.

Cleaned up the rough edges and nobody will ever know I was even in there.

Here's a pic showing the final product and you can see how recessed the liner is now

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok to add to the knowledge base here..... here's some pics from when I did mine.

Initially I just did the melt mod. Wasn't enough......so then I notched it as per Albatross's pics and bent up the fender corner with a pair of channel locks and a rubber mallet.....buttoned it back up but was still getting some rubbing under flex.

Here you can see where I folded the corner up (and later trimmed the pinch weld)

Tip: To make the notch I simply made two cuts..then grabbed the middle with medium channel lock pliers and rocked it back and forth till it broke off.

So I went ahead and went whole hog on it. Didn't even pull the tires and didn't need too.

Instead of hammering and bending over the pinch weld like Albatross did I just hit it with the cut off wheel.

Now I could bend/fold the fender liner in and after some light trimming....heat it up and contour it in the new recessed area there.....

images upload

image upload free

Drill a new hole and using the original fender trim screw attach the liner in it's new place

Now.......since I was having so much fun trimming.....and the previous owner had hacked up the fender liner in the front.....(I think in an attempt to access the fog lights? I don't know since it didn't have fogs in it when I bought it..) I figured, why stop now? I could see that I was actually getting really close and getting some contact with the front liner as well......

screenshot tool

So I trimmed a small amount off the bumper cover in the front bottom (about .5") and re-positioned the fender liner in about an inch and gained additional clearance on the front side as well.

Cleaned up the rough edges and nobody will ever know I was even in there.

Here's a pic showing the final product and you can see how recessed the liner is now

Any chance you could re-load your images? Thanks

·
TNX Veteran
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any chance you could re-load your images? Thanks
I can see them fine. Might be your browser or something. Also please spare us and don't quote an entire posts worth of pictures... hah

·
Registered
793 Posts
I really want to do this to put my spacers back on with 285s... Just worried the wheel bearings will really hate me now.

Some have mentioned that a 2" SL + 2" BL will clear spacers and 33s, but I don't think I've ever seen close up photos demonstrating this.

BTW I have no trouble seeing all the photos on this page - not sure why others are getting them blocked.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
TNX Veteran
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I really want to do this to put my spacers back on with 285s... Just worried the wheel bearings will really hate me now.

Some have mentioned that a 2" SL + 2" BL will clear spacers and 33s, but I don't think I've ever seen close up photos demonstrating this.

On the wheel bearings - don't worry about it. So many people run spacers on this site. I have run them for 25k miles of hard wheeling. You are good. TBH I think that is a bit of a myth.

On the BL - I would be inclined to believe they will fit. However, definitely NOT WORTH doing a gross 2" BL in order to fit 33's. This trim is quick, easy, and you have no gap between frame and body that comes with BL. TRIM IT!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
On the BL - I would be inclined to believe they will fit. However, definitely NOT WORTH doing a gross 2" BL in order to fit 33's. This trim is quick, easy, and you have no gap between frame and body that comes with BL. TRIM IT!!
Yeah, I've been back and forth on a BL for years. I didn't care for the gap on my Jeep, and I'd imagine I'd like it even less on the X. If I was going to TS/lock/regear and move to 35s, I wouldn't be so on the fence (though I know you were able to make it work with a 1" BL). My real reason for a BL would be cosmetic, which isn't really a good enough reason for me. I think I'll do the trim when I install my coilovers/UCAs and see how it looks at that point. Thanks!

·
TNX Veteran
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I see the cut/notch in the first picture with the arrow. But where is the second cut/notch?
Made the cut line in yellow. It is just to facilitate bending that thing inwards.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Made the cut line in yellow. It is just to facilitate bending that thing inwards.

Thanks AlbatrossCafe!! That makes my life so much easier! Ill be doing the mod this week. Also,roughly how many inches back is that yellow line? My 285/75/16 Falken Wildpeak MTs on Level Tracker Pros are rubbing and its driving me NUTS!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts