Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have been asked about this by a number of people so here it is:

Let me first preface this with a disclaimer;
This may be the worst 'How-to' ever. This is in no way up to the standards that usmc xterra and dpatton have set. Had I known about this forum 6 Months ago, I may have taken more time to take photos during installation. This most likely would have resulted in a far more comprehensive explanation.

Parts:

1) Lights:
Hella Optilux 1300, p/n: 88185 (Optilux Model 1300 - Round Driving Lamp Kit)

I cannot with good conscience recommend these Lights. While they fit in the Grill perfectly, they have taken on Water, (i.e. they are not sealed very well). Purchased at Lordco Auto parts for about $90. They will be replaced in the future.

Passenger-side;

Driver-side;

2) Switch:
Hella/Toyota rocker: p/n: 00550-35976, (https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-00550-35976-Fog-Light-Switch/dp/B00KTKFBG4)

3) New In-line Fuse:
The one that came with the Lights was cheap and useless.

Installation:
It was/is necessary to remove the Grill to install these Lights. Removal of the Grill gives access to the inside of the Front Bumper. I believe dpatton has an excellent 'How-to' on how to remove the Grill.

The Lights are attached to the Bumper using sheet metal screws, (I am not sure if I used screws that were included with the lights or if I used other screws, sorry). See photos and diagram for specific details. I drilled pilot holes through both the Plastic Bumper AND the underlying Metal Bumper piece. A spacer was necessary to avoid the screws pulling the Plastic Bumper down onto the Metal Bumper, (see diagram). Ensuring that the attachment screws bite down into the Steel Inner Bumper is necessary to minimize/avoid Lamp shake. This setup is very stable, (well it has been for the 6 Months it has been installed).

Wiring was essentially as per the Hella Instructions. They are Powered directly from the Battery, (with an In-line Fuse as near as possible to the Battery). The Relay is currently in the Engine compartment, but I intend on changing this in the spring when it stops raining. I am currently able to turn the Lights on any time that is, the Relay Power is also directly connected to the Battery. I also intend on changing this so that they are on Ignition Power. Currently 2 wires extend through the Firewall to the Switch. See Schematic for a more clear Wiring picture.

If I have been unclear about a detail, or if you have specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Wiring Schematic:

Mounting diagram:
(sorry - I'm not good with oblique drawings)

Again... Sorry for the half-arse write up.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I am not sure on the size of lights but in the fog version I picked up these when I had my jeep and put them on the front, the worked well and are relatively inexpensive. I plan to go with them again on my X

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97016_10.htm

I believe they have square ones as well and those might fit better in the area described above. Just a thought.

·
on line
255 Posts
VanX,

Thanks for your explanation and pics.

This may embolden me of little mechanical skill to try this on our OR.

·
on line
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahnyoungboi3 said:
so.....vanx.....ur an EE huh?
lol....funny you should ask, cause I was somehow expecting that question. I was going to be, but I wanted to work outside...so I became a geotechE. My grandfather was, and instilled some very limited electrical know-how....

·
TNX Administrator
20,248 Posts
All (5) Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this Thread! :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts