Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a musty smell when first turning on the A/C. I tried spraying Lysol, and other mold and mildew aerosols in the the air intake. I used a A/C deodorizer spray as well. The smell always returned the next day. I had a feeling it was due to all the Oak pollen that falls during the beginning of summer here in Texas. If you don't own a yellow vehicle, you will during that time of year. I keep on top of HVAC cabin filters regularly.

I went and bought a 2 piece kit from Toyota. It contains a foaming cleanser that you inject into the evaporator box and an aerosol cleaner for the ducts.

I didn't take pictures of the process since it is so simple to do.

Here is the cleaners.

It comes with a hose.

1. Pop the hood. On the passenger side firewall below and to the right of the "T-Fitting" that is used to bleed the coolant is the A/C condensation drain. It is a rubber piece that comes out of the fire wall and points down. Pop it off.
It is just kinda pressed in.

2. Take the foaming cleaner and attach the hose to the can. Push the other end of the hose into the drain line.

3. Inject half of the can. It will take a few minutes to discharge half of it. Make sure you hold the hose into the A/C drain.

4. Remove the hose from A/C drain so the cleaner can come out.

5. Put a drain pan underneath. The A/C drains, runs down a metal channel and hit the ground slightly behind the Passenger front tire.

6. Let the foam do it's thing. It will condense into a liquid and drain out.

7. Once it has drained out ( just dripping instead of streaming out) hit it again with the remaining half of the can.

8. Let it condense and drain out again. Let it sit for about 15 minutes this time.

9. Turn on the FAN for the HVAC with the A/C OFF. You want to dry the evaporator.

10. Leave the FAN on high, set to outside air, A/C off. All door and windows should be closed.

11. Take smaller can and spray it into the air intake at the base of the windshield. Try to mist it in so that the system pulls it in as a mist. Empty the entire can. Let the FAN run for about 5-6 minutes.

12. Turn on the A/C, fan on HIGH, set to FRESH AIR. This will condensate the evaporator and rinse the condenser and box.

Enjoy fresh A/C. You are left with a fresh neutral scent. Kinda like new car smell.

Here is what came out of my evap box. Yellow oak pollen!

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, don't forget to pop the rubber drain spout back on the firewall!

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That allows the aerosol to help deodorize the interior and stay in the ventilation system a bit longer.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Great news!

I learned how to deodorize the AC ...

and

I found my missing Blender Bottle.
Give it back. :angry5:

:D

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From my research it seems that Toyota, Subaru, and Kia, sell kits. Probably made by the same company but branded under their own names. The reviews on aftermarket cleaners aren't so good. I felt safer with a factory brand since if it were caustic and caused a hole in the evaporator, that would be $$$$ repairs. I figured an OEM would be a better choice.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
My Subie had a bit of AC funk . I poured a bleach solution into the air intake vents. Smelled like bleach in the car for a little bit but the funk was gone

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would be cautious when doing that. Not sure how caustic bleach is. You don't want it to corrode the evap.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
inside the vents there will be a coat of dust/dirt through out the vent system.... i removed the top console and used some rags with armor and a metal hanger to shove the rags as far down as i could to remove all the dust/dirt... i also removed the motor housing below the dash and cleaned that out also including the round fan housing.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
It was a weak solution so it wouldnt damage anything. A/C continued to work well for another 6 years until I sold it so it didnt hurt anything:) The kit the OP posted is probably the best but I didnt know about it at the time

I would be cautious when doing that. Not sure how caustic bleach is. You don't want it to corrode the evap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts