Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Okay guys... This is a perfect fit!!!! And I love it. I am putting a 200w DC to AC Converter in the Upper Glove Box. Take a look:

The Converter Unit!

Where it went! (Upper Glove Box);

How I Did It!

Sticky Velcro Patches;

Drilled a Couple of Holes;

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT FIT !!!!!

I haven't put it back in the Truck yet, but it will be done first thing in the Morning!

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Nice!! That thing fits perfectly. I was really wondering how I was gonna use my hairdryer while driving :compress:
Seriously, though, that could prove really handy.
Think it will stay cool enough? I know mine heats up, and the fan really needs to run.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont plan on running it for extended periods of time but if i do, I rigged it up so i have enough wire to where i can pull it out if I need to. Plus with the glove box door open there would be plenty of ventelation for it.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Good job!

These things are great.

I use mine to run/charge my laptop during long trips or to charge my cell phone using the stock AC charger.

Mine inserts into the cig lighter and it's rated at 150 watts continuous. $39.99

·
on line
641 Posts
norshor said:
I was really wondering how I was gonna use my hairdryer while driving
I know you were joking (I hope!), but it's worth reminding people who might want to install and use a DC-to-AC converter that they need to consider the power requirements of what they might want to plug in.

If you multiply the Amps of your appliance/tool times 115, that will give you Watts (http://science.howstuffworks.com/question501.htm).
Or the appliance/tool may have a rating in Watts on it's label.
If the Watts are higher than the rating of your DC-to-AC converter:
- the appliance/tool may not work properly
- the converter may overheat
- the converter may shut off

For example, using a hairdryer with my 400W converter I can run it on the Low setting (which happens to require 400 Watts), but as soon as I switch it to the High setting (which is 1200 Watts), my converter shuts off.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Nice tip

Most good inverters will have a fuse that will (hopefully) protect the inverter itself and the appliance that's plugged into it.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
dpatton said:
norshor said:
I was really wondering how I was gonna use my hairdryer while driving
I know you were joking (I hope!), but it's worth reminding people who might want to install and use a DC-to-AC converter that they need to consider the power requirements of what they might want to plug in.

If you multiply the Amps of your appliance/tool times 115, that will give you Watts (http://science.howstuffworks.com/question501.htm).
Or the appliance/tool may have a rating in Watts on it's label.
If the Watts are higher than the rating of your DC-to-AC converter:
- the appliance/tool may not work properly
- the converter may overheat
- the converter may shut off

For example, using a hairdryer with my 400W converter I can run it on the Low setting (which happens to require 400 Watts), but as soon as I switch it to the High setting (which is 1200 Watts), my converter shuts off.
Good point. Also, make sure you put a fuse on the inverter if it does not come with one.

·
on line
807 Posts
That looks good. I was thinking about installing my CB in there.
I had to mount my inverter under my seat because of its size (1000w continuous, 2000w peak), but that seems like a really cool location!

·
on line
641 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
I dont think it has a fuse... what size fuse do you think i should put on it??? 10A? 15A? 20A?
If you look at the link I posted above, you'll see that, even with 100% efficiency, producing 200 Watts from 12 Volts requires 200/12 Amps, or 16.67 Amps. Theoretically, a 15A fuse would allow for at the most 180 Watts.

You should also take into account the thickness of the wires you are using:
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Are you wiring directly to the battery? If so you might want to put a switch in there as well. However, I would not run the power to the inverter directly thru the switch. I would use a relay that is pulled down by the switch.

·
TNX Administrator
20,460 Posts
All (9) Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this Thread! :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts