Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to share some pictures and files on how I solved my problem of "where do I put my hand held CB to keep it from getting away from me".

I have a Midland HH unit that already has a decent steel belt clip on it. I also have a nice spot on the dash that is mostly out of the way and easy to access. My solution? 3D printer at the local library and some 3M foam tape.

Using my trusty $9 harbor freight digital caliper, I made some sketches for the size and shape of the belt clip. I also did a kindergarden style paper-and-pencil rubbing to get the size and curve of the dash. (By sticking the sheet of paper into the trim gap, it was easy to trace the curve of the dash trim panel.) Couple dimensions off that and it's time to play with the cad program.

Now, I have terrible luck with phones, web, etc. It seems the older I get the more technology is trying to prove I'm a idiot. Except CAD. I learned my first CAD system back when it was a DOS program and Windows had not yet cast it's evil shadow o'er the land. CAD had always treated me well and within about an hour of messing around I had the STL model file. (which I think I managed to attach, as a zip file) It's better for my sanity if I don't try to explain how to get a 3D model to become a plastic object, librarians live to help and are awesome people in general.

So, I took my file to the library, some magic happened, and about an hour later I was headed home with my doo-hickey. I cut some pieces off the foam tape roll, and started testing locations. I settled on just under the AC vent and as close as possible to the bevel next to the radio.

Yay! I learned a new trick! (Thanks, Beavertonite)
(EDIT: Sorry Beavertonite, PhotoBucket screwed us over, but I don't blame you. Pics below should work now)

Here is the front:

Side:

Back:

Now my handheld CB is visible, within reach, and doesn't bump into my knee or interfere with the wiper controls. (It also doesn't get lost under/behind the seats when I'm not looking.) No need for comment on how the reception isn't very good there, yeah, I already know. How good do you think it was when it fell under the seat? :wink:

Just the mount:

Hanging on the dash:

Mounted side view:

You can have one too if you want. The 3D model is all you need. Well, and a helpful librarian near you. And some tape. And a CB that happens to be the same size and have the same belt clip...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
So, I have a midland HH cb too (75-822) and would be interested in one of these.... Just called the library and they have it set up on Mondays to drop off your file and then pick it up later in the week. :)

To attach more files, use photobucket.com, upload the file and then copy and paste the IMG text info in the thread... Preview and voila!

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, I have a midland HH cb too (75-822) and would be interested in one of these.... Just called the library and they have it set up on Mondays to drop off your file and then pick it up later in the week. :)
Excellent! I'm glad to hear I can help. The 3M foam tape I have is 1.5mm thick, and the the back side has 1.25mm recesses so it hangs tight to the panel. You will have to be careful you have the right size foam tape, or just stick the tape any where else you want.
This link Amazon.com: 3M Heavy Duty Mounting Tape, 1-Inch by 50-Inch is the kind I have. Great stuff for about $3.

I should mention that the CAD program and the 3D printer software had different ideas about what "top" and "front" means. It needs a flat surface to start building on and I think the rotation was off by 90 degrees. It needs to be built from the bottom up because of the curved surface on the back. If that isn't clear just let me know and I'll see if I can get some pictures of what it looks like in the 3D printer software.

To attach more files, use photobucket.com, upload the file and then copy and paste the IMG text info in the thread... Preview and voila!
Hmmm... coffee mugs, calendars, piles of prints... If my wife catches me with an account on that site it could get very expensive very quick! I will check it out and see what I can learn. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Excellent! I'm glad to hear I can help. The 3M foam tape I have is 1.5mm thick, and the the back side has 1.25mm recesses so it hangs tight to the panel. You will have to be careful you have the right size foam tape, or just stick the tape any where else you want.
This link Amazon.com: 3M Heavy Duty Mounting Tape, 1-Inch by 50-Inch is the kind I have. Great stuff for about $3.

I should mention that the CAD program and the 3D printer software had different ideas about what "top" and "front" means. It needs a flat surface to start building on and I think the rotation was off by 90 degrees. It needs to be built from the bottom up because of the curved surface on the back. If that isn't clear just let me know and I'll see if I can get some pictures of what it looks like in the 3D printer software.
I'll be taking it to the library on Monday since they only do drop offs on one day and then pump out the 3D results throughout the week. I'll see what they have to say on Monday. I should have some 3M tape that will work well, I think its the outdoor gray tape and has held other things in the truck very well! This came along at a good time because I just always laid the CB down over the ebrake on trips. Handy but still in the way.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Nice work! I can tell you know what your doing, the rounded edges and tapered lines give it away. I do CAD work as well and like how 3D printing lets you really make nice looking objects, when modelling for metal parts it's always extra expense to really give it a finished look, but on the printer it's no extra hassle.

I'd go for that but my HAM mic is already there. I downloaded it if I get the urge to flip it and try to put it on the passenger side, but that a bit of a reach though.

I'm the operator / caretaker for works 3D printer, and as all good caretakers do when rapid prototypes are just not exercising it sufficiently, I have to come up with my own items to make sure no rust sets up on the guide rails.....but seriously they don't mind, I buy filament for goof off projects.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Great post, man. Extra points for incorporating 3D printing, something most of us aren't doing yet (although once these become commonplace I suspect it'll open the door to millions more interior mod possibilities).

·
Registered
417 Posts
Iam an industrial designer and do cad/3D print daily. I should get in there and put my head to it!

Always hard to bring more work at home though but it would help a lot of people, just like you did.

Well played Sir the file and the part look good!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the kind words, all.

You guys should make up a batch of these and sell them, I'd buy one, I have the Midland CB
Well, I guess somebody could do that. I wouldn't mind. It's about $0.25 for the plastic and $0.10 for the tape. Then usps tells me it would cost $4 to mail it across the country... I expect I am wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time I had trouble finding what I want on a website. (It's too thick to send as a letter.)

That's why I just shared the 3d model file. Anybody pretty much anywhere with access to a library, high school, or university can have one. My design is officially public domain, free for any use. If you want one and don't have the local resources to make one, and somebody is willing to make and ship one for a price you are willing to pay, more power to you all. I don't really want to be involved in mass production, and I certainly won't stop anybody willing to do it.

Next on my list is that cup holder in the back. Kids smashed it long ago. Maybe I can do something useful with that spot.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you do this, I will buy one. I haven't been able to use my rear cup holders since 2008 when I bought the truck used.
My mind was blank on what sort of cool thing to put there. Then my other half suggested "cup-holders". (Let's not talk about why this wasn't suggested or done years ago...) If you just want the cup holders to work I found a replacement on Amazon for about $60. For $60 it's tempting to just do that and be done with it. But it feels like an opportunity lost.

Any great ideas out there for a custom whatever? Should I start a whole new thread someplace else? Sorry, I'm a noob. Don't know how things work. Just the way it is until it isn't. Thanks for your patience.

On the original topic or HH CB mounts, my wife suggested that interested people could organize local production. For example, I'll be going to the local meetup this weekend. If I was a smart fella I would've already made a few and just brought them out with me in case anybody wanted one. I could bring 4 for $1, so what if nobody wants one? So she says, get somebody from each group willing to print them, and give them away at the meetups.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So I finally found and read the <$100 Ham post by Mr. Bills,
(http://www.thenewx.org/forum/1836682-post1.html), thank you by the way. And my new UV-5R showed up a few days ago. Amazing value for the price, don't know how I haven't noticed them before. Why yes, I DO live under a rock... This is great for about the same cost as taking the family out for a mediocre/cheap dinner.

No surprise that the belt clip is different, but I'm happy to say it's different enough.

I had to make it 3mm thicker, well actually my daughter did. She took all the dimensions, figured out the plan to make it work with both, and made the new 3D model. Fits perfect. Now I can swap either the HAM or CB in the same spot. Mine says UV-5RV2+ and it may not be the same belt clip on every version, but if yours is 3/4" it's a good chance it'll work.

There should be 2 copies in the zip file. The curved back for the dash and a flat back for sticking on whatever.

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
Mine says UV-5RV2+ and it may not be the same belt clip on every version, but if yours is 3/4" it's a good chance it'll work.
Very cool :)

Photos of the belt clip here:

Robot Check

Baofeng UV 5RV2+ Two Way Radio (Yellow)

All the Baofeng's with V2+ in the model name are those distributed by Foscam (baofengradio.us). I have a BF-F9 V2+ (the "tri-power" version of the UV-5R V2+). My clip looks the same as the photo and is also 3/4" (more like 13/16" or 0.80" on my calipers) wide.

·
on line
22,508 Posts

Wait, I'm confused as hell. Are you talking about a regular library, where you would borrow books? Are you sayin if I go to the Beaverton Library with a 3D file they have a plastic 3D printer and will print it? For free? Details please.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Wait, I'm confused as hell. Are you talking about a regular library, where you would borrow books? Are you sayin if I go to the Beaverton Library with a 3D file they have a plastic 3D printer and will print it? For free? Details please.
Yeah, lots of public libraries around the country now have 3D printers for use by adults and kiddies.

This article just came out yesterday about the 3D printers in our library:

Downtown's DIY Factory

They're maintained by the local "hackerspace" ... sort of like those auto shop clubs where you get access to a lift, tools, compressed air, etc.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
They do. I went to the main Hillsboro one on Brookwood and dropped the file off and they did it for me. Took about 4 days as there was a queue. Check with Beaverton and I'm sure it can be done too.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
... I think the template was for 08+. :-( Is there a way to bend the plastic after it has been created by the printer?
Correct, mine is an 09. (I didn't know there was any difference, sorry.) You can pretty easily melt mod the plastic, but you have to be careful not to distort the belt clip part. Will it work if you stick the foam tape at the top and bottom, the parts that aren't recessed? That would be about double the curve clearance at the center.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
...Are you sayin if I go to the Beaverton Library with a 3D file they have a plastic 3D printer and will print it? For free? ...
Depends on your library, but probably yes. Like I said, this thing is $0.25 or less in material cost. Since kids are most likely the big users I suggest we grown ups leave a fat donation for getting to use it. 0:)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts