Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah, I've seen them but the pre-manufactured Jerry Can Mounts didn't please me. Either they were designed to be mounted upright - which would be too high on the Roof IMHO or the ones for sideways mounting were rather expensive at $65 each. I sat down designed a Roof Basket mounted Frame to store three Jerry Cans in any flavor you want.

Normally I'd pick Ten Gallons of Gasoline and Five of Water, but they can be mixed and matched as needed.

The total bill for the Aluminum Frame was about $95 and the hardware was extra. If I throw the hours of design time and the time in the shop the cost of this thing is like $1200! :cheers:

I spent the last two evenings playing around in the Workshop and the Frame has been cut to size and is ready for painting. I've test fitted the Cans and they're sweet. I've got a Safari Basket and will just run Carriage bolts down through the bottom of part (2) to match with a hole in part (11) trapping a good portion of my Rack's Wires in between.

There's just nothing to the assembly of this thing to take pictures of - you cut the "L" Channel to length, (measure twice, cut once), Clamp the pieces together, drill holes, counter sink the holes and screw it together. I'll put the Foam Rubber Strips of Padding on after painting but even without the Pads this thing is tight. Since I live in California I have to treat my Pre-CARB Jerry Cans with care.

I don't live in a neighborhood where I have to worry about someone stealing my Gas but you could always run a Bike Lock though the Handles and into the Frame if you did.

In the stored position this thing barely sticks up above my Roof Rack meaning that it fits in the Garage. All the parts collapse and store inside the Basket so there's nothing to keep track of other than the Fuel/Water Cans.

I'm going to modify my plans to make part #11 to be 36" long - that's long enough to touch each horizontal Roof Rack Pipe - transfering the load to those directly. Part 6 should be 3/8" thick to prevent bending as you tighten down.

So I've built the system, but haven't Field Tested the thing yet ... follow my footsteps at your own peril.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
It looks like there is a new standard for how to write ups! :cheers:

Wow what a great job.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Looks solid man. Nice write-up as well. One question though, where did you manage to buy non-carb compliant cans in CA? I'd love to get my hands on those.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
syndicate said:
Looks solid man. Nice write-up as well. One question though, where did you manage to buy non-carb compliant cans in CA? I'd love to get my hands on those.
Some of the military surplus Army/Navy stores don't know for CARB :bounce: - in the past I had bought from Sportsmens Guide, Cheaper Than Dirt, and Major Surplus (in LA). They're getting smarter and you've got to look harder. I've got like 7-10 now which I keep for my generator. I put Stabi additivel in to keep the gas stable and rotate my stocks when gas gets expensive.

Las Vegas isn't too far away either and I'm sure you can avoid the gas can check points that they set up from time-to-time. (just kidding for those out-of-state who might really think the check points are looking for gas cans ).

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Vibration while driving offroad will cause that bar to wear away/into those cans. Looks nice though.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
amazing detail put into the construction there... looks great too.
Some of that rubber or felt strip would take care of that top bar rubbing.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lifeinthesouth said:
amazing detail put into the construction there... looks great too.
Some of that rubber or felt strip would take care of that top bar rubbing.
There's a two inch wide strip of rubber on the underside of the top bar. I've got a 50 foot roll of the stuff to see how badly it wears. The plastic cans are going to be kinder than the metal jerry cans. Might pick up a couple of the plastic gas cans if the wear becomes a problem. when tight there isn't much wiggle room at all for anything which is what I'm counting on ... field tests are scheduled in two weeks.

·
on line
564 Posts
WOW, that looks awesome!

Are you taking orders yet? :thumbleft:

Rob

·
on line
37 Posts
you can get non carb compliant cans all over ebay....

but i saw some on the sites mentioned earlier also.

·
on line
429 Posts
you can get non carb compliant cans all over ebay....

but i saw some on the sites mentioned earlier also.
I have a buddy in L.A. that wants 4 Scepter cans (2 gas, 2 water) so I'm trying to help him out and order them sent to my Arizona (non-CARB) address for him.

Non-CARB compliant cans may be available on Ebay (although I haven't been able to locate Scepter MFC type cans there). Camping/Off Roading sites / businesses online still advertise Scepter gas cans, but when you go to purchase, they cancel the order and send an email that reads " because of EPA restrictions, we no longer sell non-CARB fuel cans".

Personally, I kinda prefer the Wedco/NATO metal cans. Mine will NOT LEAK but I've seen the Scepters expand bigtime in heat and leak... but some guys swear by 'em.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never ever had a problem with non-CARB cans shipped to California - not once and I've got at least 10 of them I think. Of course I've seen un-confirmed claims that the CALIFORNIA air resource boards (CARB) restrictions are going nationwide next year. Of course the source of this was a guy selling non-CARB cans (to California too). Could be fear/uncertainly/doubt to raise sales.

I do see that Delaware, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, Maine, many counties in Virgina, Connecticut, DC, New Jersey, Texas (!), New Hampshire, Ohio, and new year Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Illinois will have restrictions.

The CARB laws do not prohibit the use or possession of the cans - only the sales. Kind of a big loop-hole there don't ya' think? I did buy one CARB compliant can trying to be a concerned citizen but I found that they leaked and spilled WAY more fuel then the non-CARB cans. I do put the tops back onto the cans when I'm done to reduce the amount of hydrocarbon emissions and the evaporation of $3.55 a gallon fuel!

The CARB cans might work well in the smaller sizes or with lawn mowers but my experience with the larger one on the Xterra was a massive failure.

·
TNX Administrator
20,232 Posts
All (11) Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this Thread! :thumbup:

Reactions: GPD605X
1 - 16 of 16 Posts