Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Update 9-08 I get PB Blaster Dry Lube for free from a Car Hauler, he gets it free from the company, he hee, That also works real good following same directions here. And Note you can get a "Paint on" type dry Lube also from a car Hauler or from a Tuck Trailer supply store, OR use Implement Paint like found at a Tractor supply if you paint your springs, It has Lube built in.

Ok I finally got it! The dreaded Squeaking Rear Leaf Springs everyone has been asking me about. So I did what I told the I have done in the past but this time I take pictures.

This normally happens after you wheel. All of a sudden you new X sounds like an old farm wagon.

1st, it's a good Idea to get all the dirt out. You have options, you can take a jack and stands to a car wash when they are not busy, jack it up by the frame in front of the wheel to relieve all pressure off the springs and kinda open the cracks between the Leafs so the water blast can force dirt out, Or do it at home. Clean both sides but Work from the inboard side out, blasting one direction to keep dirt moving that way.

On now, bring it home and jack it up again until wheels are off the ground in rear. I used force air and an air gun to blast particles out further. (Springs are dry now)

Once clean,

You need a dry Lube preferably with graphite in it. it must have about the same claims as this can, (This is Slip Plate used by truckers and hard to find) But many lubes make this claim, I have also used Spray Anti seize and torque converter lube from my Rail buggy.

With X jacked up, springs showing gaps, spray the Sh!t out of em trying to get the lube between the leafs, shoot from all directions but when shooting towards the wheel and brakes, use a section of cardboard or something to block this stuff from getting on your brakes, (Or you may need a sign).

In all actuality, THIS(Pictured below) is your culprit! Where the spring rounds at the ends, Use one of the red nozzles and squirt this from all directions and good! If your squeak returns this is where you will go. But mind you, you have to have the pressure OFF the spring to allow lube to get where it needs, Spraying it with the weight on it is just wasting lube.

OK hose it all down 2 - 3 times. If your lube has Graphite, that stuff is killer to get off your hands, but that is why it works on your springs.

Now, let it down and take it for a ride, it worked! But you are not done, when ya get back home Do a kinda Temp Jack up like this, (No jack stands just getting the weight off the springs) OR you can do the whole safe deal ya did the 1st time when you were working under there.

Anyways, get the weight off again, and re hose it down with lube and let it sit overnight. (This allows the lube to creep into places you want it.) Let it down in AM and ride squeak free!

IF you have any more squeak, go back tot the ends, That is normally where the problem is. DON'T use a traditional grease! It MUST BE A DRY LUBE! Otherwise it will be sticky and collect dirt and it will be harder to clean up. By the way, once you get the springs coated real good it prevents dirt from getting in there when you wheel.

IF you have to redo this someday use brake cleaner to clean the old lube out while it is jacked up, and start from the top here. (Up there)

1. Jack up,
2. Clean clean clean
3. Jack and air blast dirt/water out allow to dry
4. Spray with DRY LUBE ONLY no gooey grease!
5. Pay particular attention to the ends where they curl or wrap.
6. Use something to keep lube off brakes.
7. Take for a spin to work it in,
8. Bring it back and re jack and lube, let sit jacked overnight.
9. Enjoy the sneak up on the deer quiet ride!

MC

·
on line
264 Posts
thanks i was actually looking to do this soon and this was helpful

·
on line
6,649 Posts
Old thread revival....I've been having a HORRIBLE creaking ever since about a week after going to the Badlands. I hosed the leafs down several times at the pressure wash w/o ZERO results. So I stumbled across this thread the other day and gave it a try.

I put the rear end up on jack stands and let the suspension droop all the way down to get pressure off the leaf springs. I took an air compressor and sprayed everything down to get as much dirt/grit out of the crevices. Then I took and hosed everything down w/ this stuff:

Purchased it at Advance Auto Parts for about $5/can. The can was pretty small and I got only 1 can. Used every bit of it up and the creaking was gone...for a while. About 2 hours later I noticed it again (much more subtle than before though). Advance Auto was closed at this point so I went to my nearby Mendards and found this:

I hosed down the 2 end mounting points on the leaf springs as mentioned in the OP with UNsuccessful results..the creak was still there! I then actually got under my truck and pulled down on the left rear step with my hands so I could pinpoint exactly where the creaking was coming from. I determined it was this:

Hosed the mother down and voila..it's gone (for now). We'll see tomorrow/in a few days.

·
on line
6,649 Posts
Its your rear sway bar!
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think it is because it was squeaking...then I hosed down that spring clamp (IDK the technical term) and the squeaking was then completely gone. I never sprayed a drop on the sway bar or end links.

But for good measure..where should I spray on the sway bar? The end links and the bushings?

·
on line
767 Posts
When my swaybar started to squeak I just took it off!!:thumbup: But in all seriousness you really dont need your rear swaybar. I took mine off and never noticed it was gone, even on the highway. Now when you take both off...........

·
Registered
893 Posts
I sprayed all areas mentioned with WD40 and I can still hear a squeak when I push down on the rear bumper. I don't have the ability to get under there now and have someone else push down on it. Any ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use a product called "Chain Wax" by Maxima Racing Oils.

I know it sounds weird Chain Wax?

Well I thought about it and while WD-40 may displace water, it doesn't displace dirt. Ever notice if you spray something with WD and it collects dust? I figured this is what it is doing in the left springs.

So you need something that is a lube yet seals. So I thought about my motorcycle. Since my motorcycle is chain driven I need to lube it every once and a while. After I lube my chain I figured...why not try it on the left springs?

Well it works great! And it seems to be sealing in well since I haven't had many noises lately, even after mudding.

The side of their can reads:

Maxima Chain Wax is a superior power spray lubricant for all chain care needs. It special Parafilm appearance similar to Cosmoiline and offers long term coverage for all metal surfaces. This heavy duty water displacing film allows great protection especially in water and high humidity environments. Maxima Chain Wax is formulate with heavy-dity anti-wear an extreme pressure additives that provide superior lubrication for all chain and sprockets. Maxima Chain Wax penetrates deeply, lubricating non-accessible areas, reducing chain stretch and chain wear. Contains no silicone.

Just my two cents. I'm sure there are a million other ways to fix this problem.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
^^^ I 2nd this! I use a similar motorcycle chain lube that I got in Germany called Castrol Chain Spray O-Ring. IDK if it's sold in the US. The stuff is so good I brought a case home with me.

Fully synthetic. Sprays on liquid, then the solvent evaporates and leaves a dry lube coating that does not attract dirt.

Since it's made to soak into motorcycle chains, you can imagine how well it penetrates.

Great for bicycle chains too. No more wet chains!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I use a product called "Chain Wax" by Maxima Racing Oils.
I know this is quite the thread revival, but I was wondering how well this Chain Wax was holding up for anyone who tried it. For the past 6 months I've been chasing a squeak all over my X and I am going to try this as my next possibility, I'm just not sure whether to use dry lube or this motorcycle chain lube.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mclube (sold in US) is something I've used for years. It's a spray on dry lube like the German stuff.

Never tried the Chain Lube

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
This sounds like it might be the way to go. It is designed for marine use so I definitely think it could stand up to a little bit of mud and water. Is there a store you can find it at or should I order it online? And I'm assuming you are using Sailkote?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
That's correct, I use Sailkote. My background (through grade school and college) has been a small boat racer and Marine Rigger. Been using that stuff from anywhere such as traveler car ball-bearings to spraying the boats hull before a race (shhhh don't tell anyone)

I buy it from a local boat retail dealer called West Marine at an associate discount. You can prob buy it at amazon for the same price.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
TNX Administrator
20,254 Posts
All Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this thread!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts