Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is how to convert your Hella 500's (or just about any other offroad light) to HID.

Buy lights and cheap HID kit on e-bay:

Remove lens and drill a 1" hole in the back of the housing directly behind the bulb. This is needed because the HID bulb is longer than the standard bulb and it will not fit. If you use a deeper light, this step may or may not be necessary.

Pull HID harness through hole:

Put the HID bulb in, put the lens back on, hook up the wiring, mount the lights and you are DONE!

Yes, it really is that easy.

I don't have mine permanently wired or mounted yet (I am hoping the Randy Ellis light bar thread pulls through).

Here are some comparison pics, stock vs. 4300k HID:

Yes, it really is that easy.

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can never have enough under-hood lighting!

·
on line
750 Posts
Awesome. I was shocked and appalled at the prices for HID lights..yet I, of course, still want them. lol

Can't wait for higher wattage LED systems to start showing up.

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As for cost. Hella 500's can be bought new online for about $75. I got mine new on ebay for $71 after shipping. The HID's are tight in the 500's, the only reason I used them is because they are the least expensive high quality lights you can buy. Hella 4000's would work a little easier I think, as would any light that isn't so slim.

As for the HID kit, I got mine on ebay for 'Buy-It-Now' $18.98 + $50 shipping and it came overnight from China. Any HID kit will do, and as far as I am concerned it doesn't matter what kit you get, none of them are any better than others, the only reason I went with this kit is because it was cheap, and I could get the bulbs in 4300k, which is what I wanted (gives the most light output and least bling factor).
This is the seller:
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmototekc

As for the wiring, there is a + and - coming out of the lights, and you wire that just like any other lights with a relay/switch/ground/battery. The other wires just plug right into the HID ballast, those only go together 1 way, so you can't screw it up. It really is no different that wiring regular lights.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
You guys should check you local Walmarts. I got mine there for $59.99 + tax. They also have the 500FF's with free form technology which is basically a reshaping of the optics and a non corrugated glass lens. I think the 500FF's are like 5bux more though.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
nice steve! where are you mounting them? is there a SW bumper in the near future?

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
matrix12480 said:
nice steve! where are you mounting them? is there a SW bumper in the near future?
Only if you send me a big honk'n check.
For now they are going to be on a Randy Ellis light bar (if he decides there is enough interest and builds them) or I'll just make up a bracket for it to mount them in front of the grill.
I drive on a lot of backroads at night, and the stock lights just aren't cutting it, so I needed something.

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bkohler said:
do the Hella 500 lenses pop right off or are they glued to the housing?
They are glued to the reflector, but the whole lens/reflector assembly is held into the housing with a clip and a screw. To do this mod, all you have to do is remove the screw.

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, here is the best I could do for beam shots. The lights aren't mounted yet, so I was only able to hold 1 light in my hand while taking the picture with the other hand, and it is like 10degrees out, so I was a little shaky.

Also, these are driving beams, so they are made for a little more distance than I was able to show in the pics.

Stock halogen Hella 500 on tree:

Same tree (just a little lower) with the HID Hella 500:

Stock halogen Hella 500 on bush:

Same bush with the HID Hella 500:

And my attempt at some beamshots on a wall.
Stock lowbeams:

Stock lowbeams with fogs:

Stock highbeams:

ONE Hella 500 HID. Remember this is ONE light compared to the stock headlights, which is obviously 2 lights:

Color difference:

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't see why not, you would just want to tap into the high beam wire, and run the relay off that. This way the lights aren't powered by the same wiring that the highbeams are, the highbeams just trigger the relay.
I think the law here is that you can't have more than 4 front facing beams on at a time, and any lights mounted higher than the headlights must be covered at all times (when onroad).

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What he said^.
HIDs are 35watts, the halogen bulbs are 55watts. You can get 55watt HIDs, but they are hard to find and much more expensive.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts