Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: Further in this thread others have tried and it appears that their Xterras were not "pre-wired". It *seems* that 4x2 X trims are not pre-wired for the switch as the 4x4s are. So far all X trim Xterras tested at least have the harnesses in the doors to receive the power mirrors. If you are not pre-wired for the switch (by checking under the steering wheel for the harness) you can still manually run wires - as shown later in this thread.

Getting this how to together in phases. Will be returning to update pics, links, and add anything.

Special thanks to black85vette. I believe he was the first to do this and was pretty helpful over email and PMs.

Why Nissan cheaped out on this is beyond me, maybe it was to push people into higher trim levels. Literally all they needed to add were the motors and the switch. Well here’s how YOU do it!

There are 3 main things you’ll need:
1. An Xterra pre-wired for power mirrors
2. The mirror switch (part number)
3. Power Mirrors or (possibly) Motors

Also, we will be referencing the Heated Mirror How to for some of this.
Located here: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6527

Checking if your Xterra is pre-wired
As far as I know this has been done on a 2010 and a 2011. So it’s a safe bet this will work on at least 2010+ Xterras. Chances are it will work on others.
Checking for pre-wiring is easy. Behind the blank mirror switch plate and taped up is the harness that will plug into the mirror switch. I located mine by laying down in the driver’s side foot well, looking up, and between the brake pedal and foot rest, taped up was a harness.

General area where harness is hidden for mirror controls: (I already removed the lower trim piece.)

Close up of same area with harness. Hard to make out, but note the white harness taped up in the upper right corner.

Harness pulled down.

If you Xterra is NOT prewired, you could potentially run wires yourself. The factory FSM (search for it) has the mirror wiring diagrams. Essentially they are power, ground, and a few signal wires. You would run your wiring from the switch, down the footwell, and into the doors. (The Heated mirror How To has some examples of this when they show how to run the wire from the IPDM.)

Mirror Switch

At the time of this write up, they were around $35. I got mine for $20 (using Nissan One to One reward points.) You could easily source a switch from any year 2nd GEN Xterra should you go used.

Sourcing your Power Side Mirrors
Note, there are TWO types of power mirrors available for the Xterra: Heated or Non-Heated. Non-Heated mirrors have a 4pin harness, Heated mirrors have a 6pin harness. US Spec Xterras were never offered with heated mirrors as an option. All US Xterras have 4pin harnesses in the doors.

So, you have a few options for sourcing mirrors.

1. Buy an entire brand new OEM mirror
PROS:
You’re guaranteed OEM Quality. (I.E. no distorted / fun house mirrors, no vibrations, etc.)
CONS:
Price. 1 OEM mirror housing is typically the same price (or more) than a PAIR of aftermarket units.

2. Source a used OEM assembly off ebay. (This is the route I went.)
PROS:
Price: Can be cheaper than both new or aftermarket but depends. For reference, I got the passenger side for $60 and the driver side for $40. Prices (and shipping) ranged wildly on ebay.
CONS
Age, cosmetic defects, etc. My mirror housing came off a 2005 and had a few scratches in the plastics vs. my 2010. So I removed the motor from the 2005 housing and placed in my 2010 housing.

3. Buy just the actuator motors.
PART NUMBER:
96368-EA10A (Actuator Assembly LH)
96367-EA10A (Actuator Assembly RH)
PROS
Price. These were like $40 each new. Cheaper than any other option.
CONS
- I am unsure if the actuator comes with the power mirror harness attached.
- Looking at the FMS these look to be serviceable and that you can replace the motors (but perhaps not the harness) – however I was told by parts guys that their recommendation was to buy the entire power mirror assembly from Nissan.

Buy Aftermarket
PROS
Price. Can get heated glass included for pretty cheap as well.
CONS
- Potentially Quality. One member had luck on here with A1Auto’s mirrors. Insert Link. From what I can tell Depo is also good. Stay away from TYC.
Note about heated aftermarket mirrors
- If you buy heated after market mirrors they will come with the 6pin harness. You will have to cut both your harness in the mirror and in the door to spice the wires together. On the A1Auto’s unit the wires were the same color, so for that member it was easy. You will then need to follow the heated mirror guide to wire up the remaining two wires (power off IPDM and ground). Reference heated mirror how to.
- Alternatively you could buy a non-heated aftermarket mirror and the plugs will line up. However, should you decide to upgrade to heated glass, it is unknown whether or not OEM glass is compatible with an aftermarket unit.

Ok, so now you’ve got your mirror switch and whatever other option. Let’s go to town and install them.

Installing the Mirror Switch
This is pretty simple. The blank switch bank pops out and the new switch pops in. Attach to the taped up harness. I removed the trim piece the switch goes into for easier access (it’s pretty easy to pull out), but you could do it from underneath and not even remove the piece.

Proper Placement: (Disregard arrow, I found this photo via Google)

Installing the Power Side Mirror
I’m not going to go into great detail on removing trim pieces, as the Heated Mirror how to, this door trim removal thread, and the factory FSM will give you most of the info.

I will go into detail in some areas.

Step 1. Remove Manual Mirrors. There’s a trim piece behind the mirror with 3 pop pins in it. Take a small flat head screw driver and remove those pins. Then carefully pull back that trim piece. It may be hard the first time as Nissan put double sided tape on it. Reference the Heated Mirror How to.

Step 2: Removal of the above piece (from step 1) will expose 3 screws with a nut attached. Use a ratchet with an extension to remove those 3 nuts. SUPPORT THE MIRROR WHILE DOING THIS. Since we have manual mirrors and no harness holding it in place, all you need is to remove those 3 nuts and the mirror will slide right off the truck.

Step 3: Reference the door trim removal thread. You really should have a set of trim removal tools. Xterra plastics scratch if you look at them cross eyed, so using a flat head screw driver is a no go here.

Quick Steps for door removal:
- Unclip power window switch
- Pull up on arm rest (the rubber part, not the grab handle)
- Remove 3 small trim pieces behind the door handle. (Be careful, they are weak, once you have the power switch off you can work the handle trim pieces from the back as well.)
- There are 3 screws holding the trim to the door. 1 bolt behind the door handle, 1 screw behind the power window switch, and 1 screw behind the rubber arm rest.
- Door trim will now pop out from the edges

Trim Removal Tools: (Harbor Freight or Online, they are cheap)

Door Taken Apart:

Another View of Door Apart:

Step 4: Slowly peel back the white weather covering on the upper left side to reveal the power mirror harness. It is clipped in and hidden. (Note I've already removed the door card. With the above trim pieces removed it pops out from tabs all around the door. Go slow, and use a trim tool.

Close Up:

Step 5:Now, this depends on what you bought, if you are happy with the appearance of your mirrors, simply attach the new ones the same way you took off the old ones.

BECAREFUL ON HOW YOU ROUTE THE HARNESS. It needs to clear the power window operation. There is a channel you route the wires through to the harness in the door. Check how the window works before you put everything back together.

Step 5a OPTIONAL – Exchange housings and/or replace the motor.
If you want to use your existing housings OR you actually just bought the motor and attempting that route, follow the below. My 2010 housing were nicer than the older units I bought (black was faded w/scratches), so I did this.

THIS REQUIRES CUTTING THE POWER MIRROR HARNESS to slide the wiring out of the donor mirror. The splicing it back together. Really it’s not that hard. I used RED/PINK splice butt plugs.
Remove the power window motor, and pull the two plugs off the back. (They pull straight back from the actuator motor, do not try to slide them out. Insert a small flat head and pry a little.)

Assemble into new housings and re-splice wires back together.

NOTE: If you are running additional wires (i.e. heated mirror wires) AND you are relocating housings – run the other wires before putting the power mirror harness in. The power mirror harness takes up most of the available space and is hard to work around afterwards.

Mirrors with Motors on top, manual mirror below. Getting ready to transfer them. Again this is optional.

Motor taken out of the donor housing to put into my original housings (in place of the manual setup).

Running the wires through:

Step 5b OPTIONAL – Follow the heated mirror how to while you’re at it.

Step 6 – Test that your mirrors are functioning, put everything back together.

That’s it, marvel at your work and enjoy power side mirrors!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Are going to finish with the post i am very interested on those missing pictures as my X is the "X" basic plain no bling and I am trying to add this things that should been standard on vehicle
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Don't forget you can also get Frontier and Pathfinder mirrors.
Frontier had the option (some years and some models) of having a chrome housing as well. I used Pathfinder mirrors to get heaters.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, hey with no replies since I posted this some time ago, I figured there wasn't much interest. I have the pics on my camera and will upload them soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am interested.

I have been checking into doing the same on my 2011 Xterra. It does appear the wiring harness has all the connectors for all the options, fortunately.
Thanks.
Bob
Phoenix, AZ

·
Registered
352 Posts
I been trying to find the harness but no luck I went to the dealer but because I am not dealing just questions they were of not much help
will keep updating if I find them thanks for getting back about the pictures.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been checking into doing the same on my 2011 Xterra. It does appear the wiring harness has all the connectors for all the options, fortunately.
Thanks.
Bob
Phoenix, AZ
Guys - which harnesses are you referring to? And which options? If you mean the option of adding power mirrors, its very likely your Xterra is pre-wired for this. If you mean the option(s) of heated mirrors, that is very unlikely it is pre-wired.

There a couple locations of 'plugs'. One being the mirror control unit (the button that adjusts the mirrors), which goes into a harness taped under the dash - the other two being the location where the mirrors plug into the door harness.

The door harness is located behind the door card / trim. You would need to take the door apart to see it. Again, its quite likely you have those harnesses in there - but its more likely they are the 4 pin variety, being a US spec Xterra. A 6 pin plug in the door would mean you could plug and play a heated power mirror in, but as far as I know, no US Xterra's had this option. Of course you can add heated glass on your own. I did that following the heated mirror how-to.

Anyway, easiest way to check is under the dash. If you have the harness for the control unit plugged up and away, then your X is pre-wired and no need to take apart the door until you do the actual install.

I know I still owe posting up the pics.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I look under the dash for the harness, there is a main harness I guess with a couple of extra connectors but nothing that ressamble fitting for the power mirror switch.
On your initial how to you described between brake and foot rest is it behind the insulation pad I look today but did not dig Far enough
As for the door I have not look for that one yet once I find the mirror connection I will know the other is there
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I look under the dash for the harness, there is a main harness I guess with a couple of extra connectors but nothing that ressamble fitting for the power mirror switch.
On your initial how to you described between brake and foot rest is it behind the insulation pad I look today but did not dig Far enough
As for the door I have not look for that one yet once I find the mirror connection I will know the other is there
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I gotta get the pics up that will help you. You having a 2010 X I'm 99% sure it would be there. It was on mine.

Its taped quite a bit back that and you really have to look for it. Its hard to see if you were laying down looking up and easier if you stick your head under and look around (with a light).

Its in the upper left side of the drivers foot well. Its taped up to a couple other harness / metal brackets and hidden behind a little bit. I think mine had gray tape wrapped around it. Its near the BCM.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks for the description I am going to start cutting tape, I assume it should be there because when I remove the bumper to painted I had the harness for the fog lights
crossing my fingers...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Stupid question what is the (BCM) is that the port for plug in to the vehicle computer? I am not much for mechanic terms and as you can see I have not found the wiring
I can show you how to pack parachuttes and run a military jump but but...
This is making me angry I want to go back to the dealer and show them off.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well it look like I am out of luck I have the connection for the power mirrors on the door. But under the dash I remove the Lower trim piece just so I can compare with
Diagram but nothing, also went to the dealer and look under another X just to verify and I don't have the harness.
Where the harness originates from on the tree of wires what I have is some kind of plug
I am trying to upload some pictures so you can see and let me know any other options.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Updated the 1st post with tons of photos.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks for the great write up and pictures I am upset my self because I feel I should have found it already "It should be there" but nothing

these are some pictures of what I have after removing the lower trim under the steering wheel.
What do you think, does anything look familiar?
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc377/oscarangel1/IMAG0116.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc377/oscarangel1/IMAG0113.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc377/oscarangel1/IMAG0114.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc377/oscarangel1/IMAG0115.jpg

can some one else look at there wiring harness and tell me if I just don't have it?
And can I get the connector to the power mirror switch and splice the wires to the stump of harness that appears to be there?
Reason for that is because I do have the one at the door, uhmmm go figure

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Images 115 and 116 look to be the correct location. I compared those photos to the ones I added in the 1st post.

The brackets on the left and right of the picture look the same, as well as the cylinder like metal structure at the top.

But it appears you are missing a module that should be attached to the left bracket by 2 screws. Did you remove this for easier access? Or are you missing that module entirely? It should be right near that harness location. Mine was a white harness taped up back there. That green one definitely isn't the same pin structure and would not be the mirror harness. My guess is that would go into the module there.

If you are missing that module, then I'm completely confused. I have a 2010 X trim Xterra with no other 'frills' except being a 4x4 and automatic and that module is there. Which leads me to believe that perhaps your X is somehow configured differently.

Sorry, but I'm at a total loss man. That's really where it would be.

Thanks for the great write up and pictures I am upset my self because I feel I should have found it already "It should be there" but nothing

these are some pictures of what I have after removing the lower trim under the steering wheel.
What do you think, does anything look familiar?
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc377/oscarangel1/IMAG0116.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc377/oscarangel1/IMAG0113.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc377/oscarangel1/IMAG0114.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc377/oscarangel1/IMAG0115.jpg

can some one else look at there wiring harness and tell me if I just don't have it?
And can I get the connector to the power mirror switch and splice the wires to the stump of harness that appears to be there?
Reason for that is because I do have the one at the door, uhmmm go figure

·
Registered
352 Posts
I feel like you, lost and confussed, looking at your pictures it appears I am missing something, my X is same as yours execpt NOT 4X4.
Well what can I do? there is plenty of Modds I can work; today I am installing my new HEFTY front bumper that will make up for my dissapointment on the mirrors I was really looking forward thank-you, very thankfull for the help, and as stated here before by many of us Love my truck and trust the forum more than the dealeship.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys - which harnesses are you referring to? And which options? If you mean the option of adding power mirrors, its very likely your Xterra is pre-wired for this. If you mean the option(s) of heated mirrors, that is very unlikely it is pre-wired.

There a couple locations of 'plugs'. One being the mirror control unit (the button that adjusts the mirrors), which goes into a harness taped under the dash - the other two being the location where the mirrors plug into the door harness.

The door harness is located behind the door card / trim. You would need to take the door apart to see it. Again, its quite likely you have those harnesses in there - but its more likely they are the 4 pin variety, being a US spec Xterra. A 6 pin plug in the door would mean you could plug and play a heated power mirror in, but as far as I know, no US Xterra's had this option. Of course you can add heated glass on your own. I did that following the heated mirror how-to.

Anyway, easiest way to check is under the dash. If you have the harness for the control unit plugged up and away, then your X is pre-wired and no need to take apart the door until you do the actual install.

I know I still owe posting up the pics.

What I meant by all options was my X is pre-wired for options like fog lights, off-road lights, and of course electric mirrors (no heated mirror pre-wireing).
Sorry about that confusion. Hopefully I will get the mirrors before too long, I am tired of having manually move my mirrors back after my wife drives.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone,

First time poster here and hopefully I'm not too late to help someone. Soldier92r, not sure if you got things worked out with your power mirrors or not. If not, hopefully this will help.

I just purchased a 2012 Xterra X about a month ago and thanks to this thread, I ordered mirrors from 1A Auto and a switch from ebay within a week of getting the vehicle. Unfortunately, like Soldier92r, my X does not have the required harness to plug the switch into. Fortunately, the harnesses are in the doors, so installation of the mirrors themselves was uneventful.

After getting the mirrors on the doors, I traced the harnesses into the kick panels where they terminated and was able to splice into them and run three wires from each side to the switch location.

Next, I dug into the factory service manual and was able to determine which pin each wire should go to then I soldered wires to the individual pins. Ive attached photos below of the wired switch and the decyphered wiring diagram with my notes on which mirror wire should attach to which pin. BTW, the colors of the wires at the mirrors do not match the colors on the factory harness at the switch if it was there. Hope this helps someone...

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

-Gabe

1 - 20 of 29 Posts