Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone reply to this? Basicly what I am asking is there any products out there that people would recomend using and what is the best way to clean your engine. Are there any tricks to the trade when doing this or things that I should not do. Are there any other tips as far as cleaning your X after letting the beast play.

·
on line
259 Posts
ok,

step 1: start engine

step 2: Spray degreaser over entire engine ( 50/50 mix)

step 3: wait 2 or 3 minutes

step 4: hose off thouroughly, let engine run about 5 minutes, then shut off

step 5: use a foaming tire dressing on the plastic and hoses, allow to set

step 6: wipe down hoses and plastic peices

step 7: admire your brand new looking engine bay

·
on line
853 Posts
My local Nissan dealer will steam clean the engine bay for $29.95. They did a nice job even though mine was completely covered in desert dust and fine sand. Must have been quite a mud puddle when they got done. The best part is that if something gets wet that should not have, and there is trouble starting, guess who gets to fix it?

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Ive always thought that you were not supposed to get water on certain things in the engine bay like the alternator for example. So is cleaning your engine the way you guys posted alright? Also, at one of my local car cleaning places where you drive into and basically clean it yourself, they have a pre selected option on one of the dials and it sprays foam degreaser on the engine and then i guess you just rinse it off. whats the deal with getting water on the alternator?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Getting clean water in the alternator is not a problem (it's the dirty water and mud). For the most part you can "spay" the engine with water and you'll be fine. A few things to do though...keep the engine running (this will keep the water out of most places it shouldn't be and avoid the cold air intake (if you have an open element intake, I would not do this).

I take simple green and a hose to my engine about once a month to get rid of the mud. Haven't had a problem.

Watch using the degreaser at the car wash, it might not be good for the paint.

·
on line
1,977 Posts
engine clean

Once you get it clean there`s a product called CD2 Engine Detailer.You just spray it on your clean engine and it leaves a beautiful shiny protective coating.Repeels dirt and dust for months.I picked this up on another forum.Just Google it for the best deal.I think I paid about $9. a can. Well worth it! :cheers:

·
on line
641 Posts
xterra3100 said:
Ive always thought that you were not supposed to get water on certain things in the engine bay
Well, turning the spray from a 3000psi pressure washer on various things might not be good for them, but if you think about it, the engine bay is "open", and you drive in the rain, so everything needs to be at least 'water resistant'.

·
on line
68 Posts
Quick note product review: Don't use Black Magic 2 in 1 Engine shine. Its a POS. It says it degrease s and shines but two contradict each other. After it drys it leaves a slimy residue that collects dust after driving around for awhile. Also be careful using the tire shine in there because it will do the same. Best option: use a degreaser (recommend Simple Green) and just hit everything but the intake.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
I have always done this for my vehicles and have never experienced any problems with it.

run the engine and spray it down with water.

run the car for a bit so that the engine bay dries.

spray everything plastic and black (aside from an open intake area) down with armor-all and let sit for about 10 minutes.

take shop rags or towels and wipe everything down and stand back to admire your engine area...

I did mine almost 4 weeks ago and the pollen has been crazy but you can see the differance...

I didnt get any pics of the engine bay but you can guess how dirty it was.

Then I cleaned it and almost 4 weeks later...

Good shot of the pollen build up.

·
on line
3,436 Posts
Sweet. Can't wait to try this in my engine bay, been a while so I have my work cut out for me.
an't wait to try it on mine. Its been a while since I cleaned it, so I have my work cut out for me. Thanks for the tips
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
This is my 2002 SE/SC..done about a month ago..procedure as described below..
I have not done the 2007 yet...

I use Spray 9..this is thing is sick...and safer on paint (but still be careful) than simple green...I then take a brush and with a little water on it..brush everywhere the grease lies...scrubbing well and properly trying to get it all..

Then I hose it down carefully not throwing the water stream anywhere that it shouldn't go directly on..then I take a air hose and blow the water off every electrical connection,
MAF, hoses and basically everywhere I can reach..

Then I ll spray on the DC2 engine detailer..but did you guys know that CD2 used to (here anyway) come in a set of two cans..One was for the clesaning, I believe it was a silver can and the balkk can as we have now still, is the detailer..

Well the CD2 degreaser was THE BEST product I had ever used (and I engine clean all the time)...better than anything mentioned on here...but for some reason..I have not seen it anywhere even when I drive to the US...

Note: I don't do this with the engine running for the following reasons:
First off if you drop a rag or brush or anything near the front end..say good bye to the motor,

Second the heat and hot surfaces would be way to dangerous to reach in and clean..you'll get burnt bad,

Third, you're engine area gets wet in rain fall anyway..especially where teh alti. is..there is no real need to do it with a runnign engine..obviously you can if you wish but I never did and don't find it safe.

And hosing down, you just have to be carefull not to strong stream the MAf , the sesnosr, or alt with the water...I use very little pressure in the hose..and control where it goes...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts