Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I should have asked this before I installed my m205.

I did my titan swap yesterday and I think my front gear ratio isnt what I was told.

My m226 is a 3.36 and the front m205 was supposed to be a 3.357 but when I put it into 4x4 the front/rear tires fight one another. I discovered this while I was on pavement. I get a lot of wheel hop and the steering wheel jerks around. Once I go onto snow it settles down a little bit.

This leads me to believe the front/rear wheels are rotating differently.

How do I check the gear ratio?

EDIT
I found it needs to be a cc33 but where would that be stamp on the diff? I have to crawl in the snow on my back to verify so any help with location would be awesome.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Put it in 2wd, lift up one front tire, leaving the other on the ground. Mark the tire and driveshaft with chalk or grease pen. Rotate the tire by hand exactly two rotations, while watching the DS. Note the the number of times that the DS rotates: That's your gear ratio. (ex: 3 1/2 rotations = 3.54 for our diffs)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Put it in 2wd, lift up one front tire, leaving the other on the ground. Mark the tire and driveshaft with chalk or grease pen. Rotate the tire by hand and measure how many rotations the tire makes to spin the DS exactly one rotation. That's your gear ratio.
Posted via Mobile Device
if you're only spinning one tire the spider gears are going to throw off your calculation. better to put the whole front end on stands and count how many rotations of the driveshaft it takes to turn the front wheels one revolution. should be 3 and a 1/3 rotation of the driveshaft, if its almost exactly 3 turns you have the wrong ratio.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
if you're only spinning one tire the spider gears are going to throw off your calculation. better to put the whole front end on stands and count how many rotations of the driveshaft it takes to turn the front wheels one revolution. should be 3 and a 1/3 rotation of the driveshaft, if its almost exactly 3 turns you have the wrong ratio.
Correct. By two. I edited my post. Doing it with both wheels of the ground is more difficult because the tires tend to not rotate together in an open diff. Try it and you will see.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have not done the whole lifting it back up thing, I have to wait until this weekend when I have time. I mean, its pretty obviously it is not the right ratio. The fronts wheels hop because they are rotating differently then the rears.

It really pisses me off though. I wish I thought to do it before hand, I just assumed it would be correct since I bought the correct 3.357.

The part that pisses me off the most is now I will have to uninstall what I just got done installing. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

I called the bone yard. They offer to refund me but I have to send it back, which they also said they would cover. But the thing is, they dont have another one to send me. So I would pretty much be scrwed either way and am better off just keeping it. It only cost $300usd and I know I wont find another deal like that again. The internals were in great shape. No debris in the bell housing.

Im kinda screwed. I am thinking just to keep it and save to send it into rugged rocks for the arb locker and correct gears. But that will be at least 6-8 months before I can do that.......Grrrrrr!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts