Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is my install of a Cobra Ultra III CB Radio with a 3' Firestick II Antenna. I mounted the antenna in the same location as Mosi did in one of his posts, and I will have the antenna removed when not wheeling as I have to get in the garage at night.

Here it goes.

First I marked the location of the 2 holes I was going to drill with a felt. The mount will be centered.

I drilled the holes, even though I had self tapping screws. I just did smaller pilot holes as I wasn't sure how easy the screws would go in.

I was worried about water getting in through the holes so I used some silicone sealant on each screw.

This is the antenna mount I am using.

Screwed the mount in using 2 screws and the holes I drilled. I used a drill and socket with a long adapter so I didn't rub the paint on the hatch with the side of the drill chuck.

Side view after bolted on.

In order to get the other 2 screws in (they face forward) you need to unbolt one side of the rear hatch. This was a pain in the A#@ with one person. Learned after that if I suspend the end of the hatch to the ceiling, I don't have to balance on my head.

Now I have access to the other 2 holes. I didn't predrill these, thought I would try the self tapping screws.

All 4 screws now in.

I pulled the antenna coax up through the rubber gromet that was already there. There are 2 plastic tabs that hold the roof material up. They remove easily with a flat head screw driver. Just be careful not to pull the roof material down to much as it can deform and break.

You can see the Coax running into the truck

I ran the coax over to the driver side above the headliner. Tucked it behind the hard plastic in the corner

I then ran the coax down the back of the window behind the hard plastic. It tucks in easily. I then ran along the base of the rear window.

I ran back up the front of the rear window and then came down in behind the rubber molding at the front of the rear door.

At the bottom of the door I ran the coax under neath my car mat to the center console where I am putting the CB Radio

I removed the lid of the center console - only 3 screws. Then remove the back of the center console. It just pops off easily with a little force. You can see the black coax running into the console.

I then drilled a 1" hole in the bottom of the center console and pulled the cable through it. You can then replace the back of the console.

I mounted a plug adapter so I would still have an outlet for my phone cord. I am not hardwiring my CB - lighter plug install.
I also put 2 strips of heavy duty velcro on the side where I want the CB Radio. It tucks nicely into the side and the speaker will be facing the driver seat.

CB Radio fits in perfectly. The velcro really holds it tight. I keep the microphone in the console unless using the radio.

Couple of pics of the antenna. I used a heavy duty spring as well.I am in a parking lot doing the SWR testing.

I did the SWR meter test. I get between 1.2 and 1. on all channels.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

·
on line
631 Posts
I like the way you ran the wire man! I ran mine through the headliner... what a pain that was to remove 3 times cuz I had to replace the cable!! Especially with the LOBO shelf... maybe I was just to lazy... but I do like the way you ran the cable, never thought of that..

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Hey Creek that is exactly where i have mine mounted. Is yours mounted on the tailgate or the body. Mine is on the body.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
body...it's mounted just above the brake light. drilled 4 holes, silicone, and mounted...voila!!! I've noticed though that i probably should've mounted it on the passenger side. Going through the BK drive-thru the other day, i hit the overhang where if it was on the other side, it wouldn't have hit

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Miles!! I just moved the antenna mount to the rear hatch driver side last weekend. Ordered the mount from Dunham radio. Will tae pics and update soon. I also got a 2' antenna. Now I can get into my garage. I carry the 3' antenna with me and can change it up if need be.

·
on line
209 Posts
I like the setup that k1w1t1m has. What kind of harware other than the mirror antenna mount did you use to attach to the roof bars?

·
on line
10,133 Posts
Creek said:

on the left side of the hatch...you could do the right as well...also, you can put it up front mounted between the fender and the hood
I should note that I came across a pretty big problem with this setup. Even with the HD spring at the base of the antenna, the Firestik is too rigid for offroad use with this mounting location. From hitting trees and bouncing back and forth while offroad, 2 of the mounting screws stripped out. I've since gotten a wilson trucker 2000 antenna and am now utilizing the mount on the Shrockworks tire carrier. I have to figure out what to fill the old mounting holes with.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
sorry to get a little off topic,, but would running the coax cable near or next to RCA cables effect the quality of the sound? and visa versa running next to amp power cable effecting the quality of the CB radio sound?
sorry if that dosnt make since

·
on line
628 Posts
I had mine mounted in this manner also, and also noticed that it was becoming loose in a sense. I remedied this by two ways; One, I put some JB weld into the screw holes and put them back on. Two, I became more interested in radio as a result of my first installation and decided to go with a different antenna/mount for everyday use, using this one only when overhead clearance would be an issue on the trail. My new antenna is, dare I say it, drilled directly in the center of my roof. Excellent ground plane, perfect SWR, with no ill effects. I do however plan on getting the rear Shrockworks bumper (now that I have seen one in person) and I will get rid of this mount all together, fill in the holes and repaint it.

·
on line
209 Posts
Nacho said:
I like the setup that k1w1t1m has. What kind of harware other than the mirror antenna mount did you use to attach to the roof bars?
I think I figured it out, since I never got an answer to my initial question... I measured the outside diameter of our bars with a caliper and they measure out to 2-3/16" The closest type of "u-bolt" hardware that would fit that would be a 2-1/4" exhaust clamp. Just in case anyone else wanted to know how to mount to our bars.

·
on line
316 Posts
My new TIGER 4' whip. I used the old mirror mount I had from my radioshack 2' that was on my brushguard and put the backing plate on the other side to make sure the mount was stury enough. The whip is one of those semi flex 180* bendable ones so it won't snap like the firestik's tend to do.

·
on line
145 Posts
Nacho said:
Nacho said:
I think I figured it out, since I never got an answer to my initial question... I measured the outside diameter of our bars with a caliper and they measure out to 2-3/16" The closest type of "u-bolt" hardware that would fit that would be a 2-1/4" exhaust clamp. Just in case anyone else wanted to know how to mount to our bars.
I apologise, I haven't been here much due to a house purchase and a busy schedule. It sounds like you have it covered. I just went to the local Autozone and tried until I found a couple of exhaust clamps that fit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts