Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Nissan Xterra Offroad
64 Posts
You
Now that I’m assembling, my best guess is that a rattle could come from the 2 support beams that the angle-iron crosses over that it isn’t bolted in to.You could just add a bolts at each of those points (so each piece of angle iron is secured at 5 points), but I just so happened to find 6 of these small adhesive foam pads in my desk and I’ve placed 1 at each of the 6 points that could rattle to try and dampen and prevent any rattle.
And I also just noticed that where I put those foam pieces is exactly where everyone else put their bolts. Whoops. Mine are on the outside borders and I suspect that they will need to be removed to use the mounts, but if I can keep them there by just cutting the excess length off the bolt, then I'll go that route instead.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You
Now that I’m assembling, my best guess is that a rattle could come from the 2 support beams that the angle-iron crosses over that it isn’t bolted in to.You could just add a bolts at each of those points (so each piece of angle iron is secured at 5 points), but I just so happened to find 6 of these small adhesive foam pads in my desk and I’ve placed 1 at each of the 6 points that could rattle to try and dampen and prevent any rattle.
And I also just noticed that where I put those foam pieces is exactly where everyone else put their bolts. Whoops. Mine are on the outside borders and I suspect that they will need to be removed to use the mounts, but if I can keep them there by just cutting the excess length off the bolt, then I'll go that route instead.

·
Registered
2011 X 4x4
24 Posts
You should be fine if you install the mounts on the outside of the angle iron rather than the inside (where your bolts are). You might need to remeasure the fit, but I think it will work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You should be fine if you install the mounts on the outside of the angle iron rather than the inside (where your bolts are). You might need to remeasure the fit, but I think it will work.
I'll certainly find out this weekend after I go buy the mounts. I'm thinking I might just go buy 6 more bolts to put in place of the foam and just make it as secure as it can be. Just painted everything last night and will be picking up the mounts on Friday, so I'll keep you posted. If I can keep the end bolts and still get the mount on, then added bolts there should certainly fix your rattle issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
No such luck. Went to mount and sure enough those bolts were exactly where I needed the mounts to go. So I removed them and put them in the other supports (where everyone else has them) and then added more foam pieces under the angle iron at the ends to try and prevent any rattle. I think it'll work as planned, but time will tell.

And then after hours of contorting my arms trying to tighten all the bolts, I was done!

I did a lot of shoddy eye-balling when drilling the holes in the angle iron for the mounts, so there's one mount that only has one bolt in it instead of two. Also miscalculated the angle iron/mount placements so the one mount covers the Xterra sticker, which I was trying to avoid but don't care as it's peeling off anyway.

If I had to do it again, I would have been more cognizant of placing the angle irons in spots where I could more easily tighten everything after it's in the mounts. From the overhead photo, you can see the middle angle iron is mostly exposed, so that was the easiest to tighten. The other two were a total pain in the ass. because they're underneath/obstructed by supports on the rack. Oh well. It's done.

I saw that drjames used some extra (6) D-rings he had laying around and just used the factory holes. I noticed there were 8 factory holes around the outside and 8 D-rings come in this pack so I utilized all of them.

Super happy with it. I'm probably going to cut plywood into dimensions so that it can (1) be kept in the back as a sleeping platform; and (2) be taken out and thrown over the roof rack when I need a flat surface to sit/stand for extended time (rooftop picnic, fireworks, sunrise/sunset, etc). More often then not, I'll probably just keep one square of exercise mat like this or my Therm-a-Rest Z Seat Cushion in the back to throw up there whenever I just need a quick place to sit, and I actually like the idea of using a tripod up there and placing the legs of it in the gaps so it's actually more supported, if that makes sense.

And I don't think I'm going to get a rear Gobi ladder, just so random people can't just climb up top. I'll likely add to keep a telescoping ladder like this in the truck just so I have more versatility.

Thanks for all the info and support everyone. Rad modification. Just need to mount my ARB 2000 retractable awning and I'll be fully adventure ready.

·
Registered
2011 X 4x4
24 Posts
No such luck. Went to mount and sure enough those bolts were exactly where I needed the mounts to go. So I removed them and put them in the other supports (where everyone else has them) and then added more foam pieces under the angle iron at the ends to try and prevent any rattle. I think it'll work as planned, but time will tell.

And then after hours of contorting my arms trying to tighten all the bolts, I was done!

View attachment 125909 View attachment 125910

I did a lot of shoddy eye-balling when drilling the holes in the angle iron for the mounts, so there's one mount that only has one bolt in it instead of two. Also miscalculated the angle iron/mount placements so the one mount covers the Xterra sticker, which I was trying to avoid but don't care as it's peeling off anyway.

If I had to do it again, I would have been more cognizant of placing the angle irons in spots where I could more easily tighten everything after it's in the mounts. From the overhead photo, you can see the middle angle iron is mostly exposed, so that was the easiest to tighten. The other two were a total pain in the ass. because they're underneath/obstructed by supports on the rack. Oh well. It's done.

I saw that drjames used some extra (6) D-rings he had laying around and just used the factory holes. I noticed there were 8 factory holes around the outside and 8 D-rings come in this pack so I utilized all of them.

Super happy with it. I'm probably going to cut plywood into dimensions so that it can (1) be kept in the back as a sleeping platform; and (2) be taken out and thrown over the roof rack when I need a flat surface to sit/stand for extended time (rooftop picnic, fireworks, sunrise/sunset, etc). More often then not, I'll probably just keep one square of exercise mat like this or my Therm-a-Rest Z Seat Cushion in the back to throw up there whenever I just need a quick place to sit, and I actually like the idea of using a tripod up there and placing the legs of it in the gaps so it's actually more supported, if that makes sense.

Thanks for all the info and support everyone. Rad modification. Just need to mount my ARB 2000 retractable awning and I'll be fully adventure ready.
Looks great man! Without breaking out a welder, it’s a pretty nice rack. All said and done it cost me about $250, which is a lot less than I was prepared to spend. See you out there on the trails.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks great man! Without breaking out a welder, it’s a pretty nice rack. All said and done it cost me about $250, which is a lot less than I was prepared to spend. See you out there on the trails.
For sure. The costs started adding up with and the bolts/nuts/washers and then the angle grinder and discs and truck bed liner, etc. but it was still far less than anything manufactured out there and better serves my specific wants/needs for a roof rack.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts