Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I added some lights to the rack.

I used 2 Thinline LED Trailer Tail Light - Stop, Tail, Turn - Submersible - 9 Diodes - Clear Lens Item # STL59RCB and a Wesbar 4-Pole Flat Connector w/ Jacketed Cable - Trailer End - 10' Long Item # W787270

The lights were just the right width to fit on the rack. Thankfully they offset the wires so the hole that needed drilled was in a good spot.

Drilled a couple holes through the rack and added a rubber grommet.

The wire fit perfectly between the hatch rubber seal and the plastic for the taillight, it stays there with no other mount. It goes out the bottom and hooks into my existing 4 pole connector for my trailer lights...

...and out the top it just fits between the hatch and the body. I'm going to keep an eye on the jacket for wear. At the moment I think it will work out fine over time.

Quite happy with the added light...

...and it will help drivers behind me see what I'm up to when I'm hauling a bike (the lights weren't on the X when this picture was taken)

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This looks awesome. Professional looking, well finished - NICE! Got me thinking now...
Thanks!

After you made me aware of the clamps I originally bought a set with the intent of using them for quick fists. They were so nice I kept looking for another use for them.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I finally got to put the rack to good use last weekend. Had and EZup, tent and chairs up there for a trip to Lake Marburg. It worked good as expected and I appreciated it being the same height as the roof rails. Didn't think to take a picture.

Mentioned to the wife I felt a bit foolish building it and not using it for all this time and she pointed out it gets used all the time since the lights are mounted to it. Gotta love a good woman.

Decided to wait on a ladder so it can be an Xmas present. I found it's not needed to use the rack but I still really want to be able to get myself on top of the roof.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for posting this!!

I'm going on a bit of a road trip this summer and wanted some form of roof storage for the drive. We're still undecided if we'd eventually like a rooftop tent or if a full replacement rack or dephep is the plan for the future. Just couldn't bring myself to spend $900+ at the minimum when we aren't sure which rooftop option we are going for.

I bought the harbor freight carrier and it look exactly the same. It was $147 with the 20% coupon and got some free crappy batteries too! :grin:

I'm still finishing it up, going to be ordering the stainless hardware from McMaster later today or tomorrow, and my local tractor supply only had two sets of the mounts in stock so I'll have to wait for another set before it is completely finished. All in all though the its only costing me about $280 for everything and it does EXACTLY what I needed it to. Also I weighed the components, because I have a postal scale and am just curious like that. The two stock aero bars weigh in a 11lbs together. The full rack with two sets of Traveller mounts and 8ft 1/8" angle aluminum is 18lbs. With three sets of the mounts and 9ft of aluminum it'll be about 21-22lbs. So a very minimal increase it weight!

No added height so clearance getting into garage is not reduced. Full flat mounting surface over entire roof. Looks almost stock. No added wind resistance when items not attached. More than strong enough to hold any small things I'll be storing up there, definitely not more than 200lbs.

Again thanks for posting this, I'm very happy with mine!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for posting up @Silver9k. These things get written and you never know if anyone will use them. Please post pictures when you get it installed.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks so much for posting this thread and such detailed instructions. I was able to pick up a carrier for under $99 and here are the results.
Glad to see another one out there. Where'd you source the carrier for that great price?

·
Registered
2011 X 4x4
19 Posts
Etrailer.com sells “open box” sometimes. I found one of those and coupled that with the 5% off coupon found during a quick google search.

I over paid for my nuts and bolts at Home Depot but I was in a hurry to do it and they had everything in stock.

The tie downs I used were from amazon, I had already from another project.

8 Pack Tie-down D-rings Jeep Tie Downs Anchors for Jeep Wrangler Trunk Cargo Net Tie Down Strap Stainless Heavy Duty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DQ55SH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_EdtNNFlLQ3m2d

Glad to see another one out there. Where'd you source the carrier for that great price?

·
Registered
2011 X 4x4
19 Posts
Awesome work. Drjames, what did you use for painting it?

I've got a Harbor Freight right down the street from me with one in stock and with 20% off coupon I'm going to go grab it right now for $135.99.
Randy - I used pro grade spray on truck bed liner from Home Depot. I did four coats, which I’m hoping will hold up over time. I’ve used it on most of my plastic trim on the X and I have been pretty pleased so far. Walmart sells the same stuff for about $11 a can. You will want at least 3 cans.

The only thing I would change - and I’m going to fix - there is some rattle where the basket meets the angle iron above the clamps, it needs to be dampened or fastened better prior to installing the clamps.

Good luck! Please post pictures when you’re done.

·
Registered
2009 Nissan Xterra Offroad
59 Posts
Randy - I used pro grade spray on truck bed liner from Home Depot. I did four coats, which I’m hoping will hold up over time. I’ve used it on most of my plastic trim on the X and I have been pretty pleased so far. Walmart sells the same stuff for about $11 a can. You will want at least 3 cans.

The only thing I would change - and I’m going to fix - there is some rattle where the basket meets the angle iron above the clamps, it needs to be dampened or fastened better prior to installing the clamps.

Much appreciated! Good to know. Will do! I literally just bought an '09 Xterra Offroad yesterday and just waiting for the dealer to complete some minor fixes before I get my hands on it, but already planning all mods/upgrades.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Etrailer.com sells “open box” sometimes. I found one of those and coupled that with the 5% off coupon found during a quick google search.

I over paid for my nuts and bolts at Home Depot but I was in a hurry to do it and they had everything in stock.

The tie downs I used were from amazon, I had already from another project.
View attachment 125296
8 Pack Tie-down D-rings Jeep Tie Downs Anchors for Jeep Wrangler Trunk Cargo Net Tie Down Strap Stainless Heavy Duty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DQ55SH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_EdtNNFlLQ3m2d

View attachment 125297
drjames, Just realizing you mounted the D-rings on the sides. Can I asked what bolt/screws you used to secure them? And did you drill all the way through that support bar to do so? Thanks in advance. Spent the day on the angle grinder getting all the edges cleaned up. Looking to mount the angle iron and d-rings tomorrow before painting. (y)

·
Registered
2011 X 4x4
19 Posts
drjames, Just realizing you mounted the D-rings on the sides. Can I asked what bolt/screws you used to secure them? And did you drill all the way through that support bar to do so? Thanks in advance. Spent the day on the angle grinder getting all the edges cleaned up. Looking to mount the angle iron and d-rings tomorrow before painting. (y)
I used the same stainless hardware that was used to attach the angle iron, except I went shorter on the bolts because 2inches was more than necessary. I put washers on both sides to make it stronger. I used the existing factory holes, but wouldn’t hesitate to drill more if needed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You’re the man. Much appreciated! Spent the day using an angle grinder for the first time (Harbor Freight, $9.99) cleaning up the edges and cutting the angle iron with a hack saw. should get the angle iron and D-rings mounted and everything covered in truck bed lining by end of day tomorrow!

·
Registered
59 Posts
You
RandyThe only thing I would change - and I’m going to fix - there is some rattle where the basket meets the angle iron above the clamps, it needs to be dampened or fastened better prior to installing the clamps.

Now that I’m assembling, my best guess is that a rattle could come from the 2 support beams that the angle-iron crosses over that it isn’t bolted in to.You could just add a bolts at each of those points (so each piece of angle iron is secured at 5 points), but I just so happened to find 6 of these small adhesive foam pads in my desk and I’ve placed 1 at each of the 6 points that could rattle to try and dampen and prevent any rattle.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts