Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

201 - 220 of 1134 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
hey, H8R, make sure to ask MANY questions in this thread about the viability of the second cooler, the warrantee, the ATF level, and overall ATF temp issues when you do his. I'm pretty sure none of those have been answered yet . . .

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
LOL.... I dont have any warranty coverage, I may not add an additional cooler, I'll only put the amount of ATF back in that comes out, I'll make sure to not give a F about temp change because I don't tow SHAT, so Temps shouldn't be an issue. : P might even add a Tranny Temp gauge...who knows.

·
on line
16,147 Posts
hey, H8R, make sure to ask MANY questions in this thread about the viability of the second cooler, the warrantee, the ATF level, and overall ATF temp issues when you do his. I'm pretty sure none of those have been answered yet . . .
yeah def...I'd love if someone would bring up those questions again...instead of reading through this thread....:violent1: :tard:

·
on line
304 Posts
Bueller44

Regional Moderator
2005 Xterra S Join Date: Apr 2006

Well, my day sucks today. Dropped it off at the stealership this morning and just received a call as to what the problem is. (as per above, I had a vibration/rumble when starting to accelerate and as well, had a purple/grey liquid dripping out on the front passenger side, right up at the bumper).

I have a cracked transmission cooler. This is inside the rad, so I need a new rad. $700 for OEM, and $299 for aftermarket - I'm going with the after market. Then, because the fluid mixed inside the transmission, this caused the vibration - not sure how that works, but they are going to do 2 transmission flushes as well as the coolant flush. All of this will cost $1200 + tax. And then, hopefully after driving around for a couple of days, everything will be ok. But of course, they say my transmission may need replacing - the cost is $3900 for a new trany. Ouch!! If that is what happens, I am totally prepared to trade the X in on a nice car with good gas mileage and take the hit on losing some money from my X.

This totally sucks! How do you crack the transmission cooler?

·
on line
76 Posts
Ok, I'll beat the dead horse because I've had a few too many. For the love of God don't pay the stealership $1200 to flush your tranny. Call them right now and tell them not to do it. Do the poor mans flush twice for about $200-$300. A flush is a flush and them doing it vs. you doing it doesn't make a difference. If your tranny fails it fails, regardless of who flushed it.

·
on line
16,147 Posts
^^ to run it through 2 or 3 times....yes it would cost you a lot of money...if you did the simple poor man's flush that I did and posted up it would cost you just around 100 for all of the fluid...that is the only thing you pay for..it is mad expensive

·
on line
1,685 Posts
Alrighty, I talked to my buddy that works as a mechanic at Nissan and he said that the radiators on the '09-'10 models had a updated design that prevents the leaking and mixing. He has yet to see any '09-'10 come in with this issue.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
'Got 50,000 miles on these bald tires and haven't had a flat yet!'. Just because the mechanic says he's never seen that issue doesn't mean that it couldn't happen. And the reality is that it is sufficient that it could happen. That is all the justification needed to do the bypass mod. It is an unacceptable risk otherwise.

·
on line
16,147 Posts
^^yup, good point GPZ....if both fluids move through the same heat exchanger..there is ALWAYS a risk..however great or small...it is unacceptable....and would absolutely break MY bank...i cannot afford to shell out 5k...

·
on line
1,685 Posts
Just relaying what I was told. The radiator has be updated to prevent it.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
nice. nissan fixes a problem we all know they have, but they refuse to acknowledge it and do a recall or anything else to help the guys with the failure.

at least we have smart guys here who can figure out how to fix nissan's f-ups.

·
on line
1,685 Posts
Could be worse... look at Toyota.

201 - 220 of 1134 Posts