Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By using this approach, you don't have to cut off part of your plastic front bumper, and therefore the intact plastic bumper can be sold, or kept for replacement if you want to sell the X without the Shrock bumper.

Credit goes to USMC for this idea, from his SHROCKWORKS BUMPER INSTALL posting.

(Note - my Shrockworks Front Bumper has not been installed yet, so I don't know for sure that these instructions will work. I'll edit this posting after the bumper install to provide an update.)
Update - the Shrockworks front bumper has been installed, and this bumper saver worked just fine.

PART A - what I was going to do, but didn't
My original plan was to make a tracing from the front bumper, and use it to make the bumper saver.
A-1)
Remove the Grille
A-2)
The top edge of the bumper is held by five of the same plastic pins that hold the top edge of the grille. Remove these five pins.
A-3)
Using pieces of thin cardboard, or paper, cutting to fit if needed, slide them under the whole length of the top part of the front bumper, and tape them together.

A-4)
Trace along the inside edge of the top edge of the bumper. I also marked the locations of the slots for the clips on the bottom edge of the grille.

A-5)
Once I started looking at the tracing, it didn't seem that it was going to be a good approach to making the bumper saver. The top edge of the plastic bumper is curved, and it's a lot easier to deal with straight lines.

PART B - what I did do
B-1)
Buy a piece of 1 inch by 1 inch Aluminum angle, three feet long.
You can buy these at Home Depot:

For marking the aluminum, I'd suggest starting with a sharp pencil. Once you know a marking is correct, go over it with a scratch awl, tip of a compass, point of a nail or screw, etc.
B-2)
Cut the aluminum angle to a length of 34 inches. Don't throw away the 2-inch piece.
B-3)
Remove the Grille
B-4)
Using the 2-inch piece of angle, place it on top of the bumper support, up against the inside edge of the top of the bumper, behind the location of one of the slots for the grille clips. The best location to do this is the slot to the right of center.
B-5)
Trace the slot onto the 2-inch piece. It's easy to do this using a scratch awl.
B-6)
Cut out a slot in the 2-inch piece. It will be 1 inch long by 5/16 inch wide. I clamped the 2-inch piece in a Workmate and used a 1/4 inch drill to make a series of holes, and then used a file to finish it off as a rectangular slot.
B-7)
On the outer face of the 2-inch piece mark the vertical centerline of the slot.
B-8)
Check that the 2-inch piece's slot matches up with the slot in the bumper.

B-9)
If you use the aluminum angle as a straightedge, you will see that the two middle clips on the bottom edge of the grille are in a straight line, even though the top edge of the bumper, where these fit into, is curved:

You will also see that the two outer clips are not on the same plane:

B-10)
On one of the inner faces of the 34-inch aluminum angle mark a centerline. To the left of this centerline use something like a felt pen to put an "R", with an arrow pointing to the edge of the angle. The "R" stands for "Rear", and the arrow points towards the rear of the Xterra once this is installed.
B-11)
With the angle sitting in front of you, with the "R" facing up and the arrow pointing away from you, mark an "F" on the vertical part of the angle that faces you. This part will be facing towards the Front when installed. Looking from the end of the angle, this is where the markings are:

B-12)
Using a square, extend the centerline on the "R" side to the other three faces of the angle.
B-13)
In the middle of the bottom edge of the grille is a 'tab'. Mark a centerline on this tab.

B-14)
Put the aluminum angle on the bottom edge of the grille, with the angle upside down and backwards. This means that while looking at the back(inside) of the grille, with the grille upside down, the "F" is readable, and the "R with arrow" points towards the bottom front edge of the grille.
B-15)
Line up the angle's centerline on the "R" side with the centerline on the tab in the center of the grille. Make sure the corner of the angle is up against the raised part of the 'clips' on the grille, and on the "F" side mark the center of the two middle 'clips'.

B-16)
Using the 2-inch piece, line up it's centerline with the centerline on the "F" face for one of the two middle grille clips, and mark the location for the slot onto the "F" face of the angle. Repeat for the other middle grille clip location.
B-17)
Using the same techniques as in B-6, cut out the two slots in the "F" face of the angle.
B-18)
On the "R" side, put a mark 5 and 1/8 inches either side of the centerline. Using a hacksaw, cut the "R" face along this line. Then, using the hacksaw, or tin snips, widen this cut into a narrow pie shape. The goal is to allow the aluminum angle to bend enough so that the ends will deflect about 1 inch.
B-19)
You should now be able to at least partially install the aluminum angle onto the two middle clips on the bottom edge of the grille, and the cuts should allow the angle to bend enough to be in contact with the two outer clips while partially on the two middle clips.
B-20)
I marked the centerline of the two outside clips onto the angle, removed it, and used the same techniques as in B-6 to cut out the two slots in the "F" face of the angle.
B-21)
Here is what you end up with:

and here it is installed onto the clips on the grille:

PART C - what you could do
C-1)
Follow steps B-1 through B-8.
C-2)
On the "F" face of the angle, mark a line at 4 and 29/32 inches, and at 15 and 3/4 inches, on each side of the centerline of the "F" face.
C-3)
Using the 2-inch piece, line up it's centerline with each of the four lines just marked on the "F" face, and mark the location for the four slots onto the "F" face of the angle.
C-4)
Using the same techniques as in B-6, cut out the four slots in the "F" face of the angle.
C-5)
Follow step B-18.
C-6)
The angle is now ready to be installed onto the grille.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Man you and a few others here and doing bang up fine and OUTSTANDING Jobs refining my install Ideas! I really am Marine Corps type proud of you guys! I really have to update my posts and get your better directions in there for sure or links to them. Man it sure would be nice getting a new Xterra now huh? Look at this detail! WOW!
Great Job! You all keep going!

Oh I like to add that I found that instead of installing the push pin retainers from the bottom on bottom of grille you can install them from the top 1st and then install the rest of the grille. (Fount this out when I painted my grille)

(Marines save the word OUTSTANDING! for special occasions and the word is normally proceeded with an f word ending in 'ing' LOL Marines ya know.)

MC

·
on line
237 Posts
"Note - my Shrockworks Front Bumper has not been installed yet, so I don't know for sure that these instructions will work. I'll edit this posting after the bumper install to provide an update. "

Man I hope that works for you....looks like you put a bit of time into this. Your solution is exactly what I envisioned. Looking forward to seeing it installed on your rig.

Cheers!

·
on line
118 Posts
Great instructions. How ever I think 2007 may have changed because your 5- 1/8" measurement puts the bend in the middle of the front tabs. I moved it outside the tabs (about another 1/2") like shown in your drawing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts