Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
West South Central Regional Moderator
909 Posts
You might be able to sandwich a pair of washers inside and outside there with an eyelet style bolt sticking out into the cabin....but I'm not sure...

·
Registered
2,212 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts

Lets see how that link works.. Just did this myself, rattle can bed liner, clips from Home Depot, bolts. 5 minute install in church clothes. And looking forward to many uses.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well I combined all the excellent ideas I got from this thread with some hardware I found here:

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratchet-Straps-Tie-Downs/Airline-Straps-Hardware

Ended up looking like this:

Here are the brackets mounted. Note the tape where I marked the spot where the panel mounts to the body. (red X) Also the line to the left is a rib on the back side of the plastic panel. The lower tape marks the line where there is a hole in the metal of the body and nothing for a screw to bite into. Do not go below this.

Here is a shot with a tape measure so you can get an idea of where things are:

One fairly important thing I did find when positioning the lower tie point was that there is a 1/4" space between the plastic and the metal body behind it. That was too much for me so I made 1/4" aluminum spacers with holes drilled to clear the screws and put them behind the plastic to allow the tie down to cinch down tight without pulling the plastic in. You can get into that gap by pulling the rubber weather strip back in that area.

Hope this helps the next person doing this excellent mod.

·
909 Posts
thank you sir, this has given me a great idea....I'm thinking a set of 4 rails on the back of the back seats, and after I get my cargo box built, a pair or more on top to give me tie downs up there....

·
Registered
249 Posts
thank you sir, this has given me a great idea....I'm thinking a set of 4 rails on the back of the back seats, and after I get my cargo box built, a pair or more on top to give me tie downs up there....
I was just looking and thinking about rails on the back of the seats, but went out last night and I am not sure they are sturdy enough. Seemed a little flimsy to me.

Let us know what you find and how it turns out. It would be a good location for when then seats are down.

·
909 Posts
well, I'm not using them for when the seat is down, but rather to hold a foot locker full of tools tight up against the back of the vehicle. I suppose I'll have to see how hard it is to pull the back off, and maybe weld a support bracket in on either end to anchor them solidly...

·
West North Central Regional Moderator
9,791 Posts
dhyde79, Please take photos of the rear seats with backs removed. I've been wanting to see what's in there to mount more attach points as well.
x2! this has been an issue for a LONG time.

·
909 Posts
I'll get to it when I can, not sure when yet, but, I'll have to tear into it and see how you get em off...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'll get to it when I can, not sure when yet, but, I'll have to tear into it and see how you get em off...
I didn't take mine off, but I did remove the trim around the latch on the outside edge. Then I could look under the back panel. Under it is a stainless steel plate. I got a caliper on it and measured it at .087" thick which isn't very beefy.

Don't know if I would trust it to hold anything heavy.

·
909 Posts
hmm....that'd be just a hair over 2.2mm....yeah, I don't think I'd go that way...I think it'd depend on how the sheet's mounted, reinforced, etc.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well I combined all the excellent ideas I got from this thread with some hardware I found here:

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratchet-Straps-Tie-Downs/Airline-Straps-Hardware
I very much liked the US Cargo control approach. So I ordered some of the rings and mounts he showed in his pictures as well as:

AT24BL, Airline Track 24" Black

I don't know if anybody else tried this. But the rail fits inside the factory rail, and the actual tie down thingie just fit inside as well (< 1mm clearance :)

The spacing of the holes in the Airline track doesn't match the screw holes in the standard track. So I drilled two extra holes in it. I re-cycled the existing screws, there is enough thread to still hold things securely with the extra depth of the airline track. For one hole it lines up so that you can put the screw in, the other hole is in a narrow bit of the track, so I ended up creating a wide hole to the screw can be moved around:

I'm pretty happy with how it all fits, my (2nd hand) X didn't come with the fatcory hooks that go in there. But it think this is far superior!

I might try to find longer screws and use a stack of large washers to bring the track up so it's almost flush with the top of the standard rail.

Didn't make a pic of the final result, can do tomorrow if there is interest

Bas

81 - 100 of 134 Posts