Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I have always been frustrated with the pathetic tie down loops on the sides of the rear cargo area. First of all, they are very weak plastic crap, and they pop out if you put any pulling force on them. Second, they are mounted too high for me. It seems like most of the times I want to use them to keep something from sliding back there, they are just mounted to high to work well.

I finally fixed the problem. I pulled the sides back to verify solid sheet metal was behind the plastic, and I went out and bought some D-Rings and self-taping sheet metal screws. I measured out where I wanted them drilling a few small holes and mounted them up. SOLID. I can put a strap on one and pull as hard as I can and they are solid. 100x better than that cheap plastic crap above it. I should have done this the day I bought this truck. Anyway, some pics included. I considered using regular Eye-bolts, but these were way better because they lay folded flat when not in use, so they are not sticking straight out and getting in the way. I definitely recommend doing this mod.

~Jay

Parts... $8
Time... 10 minutes.
Actually being able to strap sh!t in securely... Priceless. :)

Parts

Before

After

Not in the way at all when not in use, since they lay flat.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
nice mod! i actually might do this soon.. maybe paint the d-rings with some dramatic colors though for effect... hmmm..

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Sweet idea. I believe I will be adding this to my X this week. Giving this being so close to the rear hatch and intern the outdoor elements did you consider using silicone around the holes you drilled in the sheet metal?

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet idea. I believe I will be adding this to my X this week. Giving this being so close to the rear hatch and intern the outdoor elements did you consider using silicone around the holes you drilled in the sheet metal?
There is no need. It is completely internal. As is the little crappy plastic hold down piece above it. Siliconing any of it would be like siliconing your radio trim to keep the rain out.

·
West North Central Regional Moderator
9,791 Posts
so those are screwed thru the plastic and into the sheet metal right? what if you need to remove one of those panels?

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
Now why didn't I think of this?? Well played, sir ... I'll be doing this at some point, but likely won't be getting to it before GONE.

I've often gone to hook a ratched strap or cargo net through the plastic ones and, having done so thought "Crap, that's right, those are flimsy ... well, now what do I use?"

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Was thinking of those things.. but instead of the side.. to be used in the Floor board Gutter rail. Vs the Eye bolt that came with the X. Just add 3 per side.. bolt tight.. done.

Nice added feature Jay... Yea must have been sitting in the back, bored again.. waiting for more snow to fall? :)

Before you mount them??? Can you Tool dip them IN Pretty Pink, Red or something.. would help with anti-rattle

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so those are screwed thru the plastic and into the sheet metal right? what if you need to remove one of those panels?
Then you unscrew the two sheet metal screws and remove the panel. It's two screws, it's not like it takes more than 10 seconds. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice and clean.
One queston: do the D-rings rattle or make noise when diving around without anythings tied to them?
I was concerned with that, but luckily theyare silent when driving. I can hit bumps all day without a sound! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice added feature Jay... Yea must have been sitting in the back, bored again.. waiting for more snow to fall? :)
lol pretty much. This past weekend was the last weekend for Mt. Hood Meadows. My snowboarding season has finally come to an end. :(

Sorry for 3 posts, but I don't see any way to use 3 qoutes in one post on my cell phone.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
West North Central Regional Moderator
9,791 Posts
Then you unscrew the two sheet metal screws and remove the panel. It's two screws, it's not like it takes more than 10 seconds. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device
i figured that. I am just thinking about if you have to unscrew them, screw them back in, unscrew them again, screw them back in, etc if that will make them weaker. I have roof light wiring behind that pillar and am getting ready to do the rev mod. lot's of in and out.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i figured that. I am just thinking about if you have to unscrew them, screw them back in, unscrew them again, screw them back in, etc if that will make them weaker. I have roof light wiring behind that pillar and am getting ready to do the rev mod. lot's of in and out.
Gotcha. For me I never remove that panel, but I always need a strong hold down, so any risk likethat is far outweighed. Anyway, they are pretty solid. I think you'd be okay.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
There is no need. It is completely internal. As is the little crappy plastic hold down piece above it. Siliconing any of it would be like siliconing your radio trim to keep the rain out.
My mistake. I had no idea that was completely sealed when i made the comment. I was thinking he had taken off the plastic and drilled the holes. I was concerned with the bolts being exposed to the elements that corrosion could eventually eat its way down the bolt and into the sheet metal causing it to fail.
I think this is one of the best/easiest/need to do mods and did it the next day after reading about it.
Thanks, James

1 - 20 of 134 Posts