Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
If you've ever been out on the trail after dark and had to backup you've also discovered that the Stock Lights are a bit lacking. After a run up a burro trail to view the Sunset coming down the "Stock Friendly" trail, (it's an SCCX Joke), I found myself about 100 feet down the wrong trail and having to back up. The other X's behind me lit the trail a bit and that helped, but it was then that I desided that I wanted more light backwards.

So I mounted a pair of clear fog lights to the back of my rack.

I ran the wires along side the bottom of the Rack and then into the area that I ran the Front Facing Lights.

I wanted the ability to have the Lights Pop-on Automatically when backing and also to be turned on manually to act as Area Lights. Setting up camp after dark will be nice with these thing 'ON'. So I had to come up with a Circuit which would allow a Switch to control the mode. I also wanted a Relay to By-pass the Stock Wires - the extra 100 something Watts would be too much for the tiny Stock Wires.

The Relay Senses the Stock Backup Lights coming 'ON' and Energizes the Relay pulling the Switch down connecting the +12VDC to the Aux Light Toggle Switch.

Once at the Toggle Switch the paddle picks one of the three modes:

Up = Manual 'ON'
Center = 'OFF'
Down = Automatic

I tapped into the Sky Blue Back-up Wire in the small White Plastic Conduit next to the Driver-seat.

Here's a close up of the Sky Blue Wire.

I put a hole in the Upper Dash out of the way of my Knees, but near my Lighting Panel.

I have the Lights up where I can tilt them downwards to light the trail that is visible through the Mirror. I can also tip them all the way down just like the Front Light Bar to allow me to carry sheets of Plywood on the Roof.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
willgr1 said:
nice write up, but i think i would have wired them to a power source that can be on when you aren't in reverse...never know when you'll need a light out back!
He did.
PaulXyZ said:
I wanted the ability to have the lights pop on automatically when backing and also to be turned on manually to act as area lights. Setting up camp after dark will be nice with these thing on. So I had to come up with a circuit which would allow a switch to control the mode.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
willgr1 said:
nice write up, but i think i would have wired them to a power source that can be on when you aren't in reverse...never know when you'll need a light out back!
My marine fuse box is constant +12VDC so I can pop them on any time I want. I left them on for an hour this afternoon to see the the truck would start afterwards. Sure thing - no problem. It doesn't take an hour to set up camp.

The neighborhood kids were impressed with the lighting.

Reactions: Kjswa

·
on line
890 Posts
I know this is a pretty old how-to thread but I'm just confused after trying to do this myself.

I have got all the wiring down except for the sky blue reverse wire. Thats where I started my frustration and problems. I'm pretty sure now I've figured it out but anyway.

I tapped the first sky blue wire I saw, while crimping the tap my doors locked. I thought, no biggie, I just hit the remote in my pocket. I've done it before so I went about my way. Then today I got my switches in and I had already done most of the wiring so I figured I'd go hook them up. Well when hooking them up and testing everything with the multimeter I was getting 4.7vdc to ground from the sky blue wire. Well I guess I accidentally touched that terminal to ground, because my doors locked again. This time my keys were sitting next to me so I knew it had to be the wire. Measured the voltage with the truck in reverse and still got 4.7v. Obviously the wrong sky blue wire.

SO...round two.
I decided I had obviously messed up and decided to tap the next blue wire I saw. It was a little larger in gauge and a little different color blue, but I decided peoples perception of sky blue could be different, so I tapped it anyway (I didn't have the picture of the wire handy). This time I measured the voltage and it was 0v in reverse and not in reverse. Again I had screwed up, so I wanted to go check what color it was at the tail light. But I don't know how to get the tail light off. So finally I gave up for the night to come here and see what I did wrong.

While out at my car I did notice another sky blue wire similar to the first one I tapped but at the time was too frustrated to tap yet another wire and screw up. I know having three taps in the little conduit was not great.

I am guessing that this sky blue wire is the right sky blue wire. Of course its the last one I found though.

Basicly I am wondering how anyone knows which wire is the right one. Obviously looking at the picture I wouldn't have tapped the darker blue wire because the sky blue one looks nothing like it. But you still have a 50/50 chance of getting it right.

So how did everyone else get the right wire the first time? And should I remove the taps that I have already put on the wrong wires or leave them? Whats the best way to do that?

Sorry for such a long post guys, I just feel really dumb after tapping two wires and not hitting the right one. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

·
on line
1,638 Posts
leave the meter connected to the wire and put into reverse. You'll know whether or not you got the right one from the reading.

·
on line
1,209 Posts
I wanted to do the same at the Passenger-side, but there was at least 3 Brown Wire there, (that side is Brown, the Driver-side is Blue) !
So I looked elsewhere to get a tap and found this way: it is the same wire, but taken where it get in the connector:

And those wires comes from the small loom seen at right here:
(the Purple Wire is the Tail Lamp Signal, First Position of the Light Switch for the Position Lamps.)

·
on line
890 Posts
leave the meter connected to the wire and put into reverse. You'll know whether or not you got the right one from the reading.
Thats what I did, I just didn't find the right one yet. And I gave up to early to try the last blue wire. So its mainly my fault for not finding it, but I was just frustrated at that point.

(the purple wire is the tail lamp signal. (first position of the light switch for the position lamps.)
I already ran one wire to the drivers side down into that channel so thats where I was hoping to do it. Now that I've seen your pictures though I might just go ahead and do it over there. But I can't decide yet, if I can't get that last blue wire to work I'm going to the passengers side for sure!

Its also very helpful to see where to tap into the tail lamp signal! That could be a better place to tap into for extra lights inside, like switch lamps, or other things.

And thank you both for your blazing fast responses! I continue to love this community more and more every day! Thanks for the help and time, especially for such a dumb question.

Rob

·
on line
6,159 Posts
I wanted to do the same at the passenger's side but there was at least 3 brown wire there (that side is brown, the driver's side is blue) !
So I looked elsewhere to get a tap and found this way: it is the same wire but taken where it get in the connector:

(the purple wire is the tail lamp signal. (first position of the light switch for the position lamps.)

So the purple wire comes on when you turn your fogs on?

·
on line
890 Posts
I don't think so Rev. I believe only the front marker lights and the rear running lights come on and/or are powered by this wire.

At least that's the way I took it.

Rob

·
on line
1,209 Posts
I don't think so Rev. I believe only the front marker lights and the rear running lights come on and/or are powered by this wire.

At least that's the way I took it.

Rob
That's it. Doing so, if I forget some roof lights ON, they will shutdown if I turn OFF the trucks' lights.
And if I remove the ignition key but leave them ON, they will automatically shutdown after about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I am looking to be able to turn my reverse lights on will my truck is off or on with a separate switch to use them as scene lights. I have the ridiculously bright LED V-LED stock replacement bulbs and really haven't as of yet found a reason to add additional Aux lights. I would like the lights to work as they do now and also be able to turn them off and on as I please and if possible have one of the switch positions be momentary should I want to signal someone from behind. Is this possible?

·
on line
1,142 Posts
aight i need some help on this im so pist at this its not funny...

everything is wired and the lights work just fine on the MANUAL position on the toggle. but ive got NO lights when i throw it in reverse. i thought aight i just tapped the wrong wire... start looking, i have 3 blue wires ONE sky blue (same as whats run to the back of the tail light) and TWO med blue wires. when i tap the sky blue it locked my doors the first 2 times...no lights, so i tried each of the other blue wires..... NO LIGHTS. its 101.7 degrees according to my 2 digital thermometers here at my house. both in the shade so between the damn heat, biting gnats & this not working im about to freak out lol help PLEASE!

EDIT: aight so after cooling off and headin back out i did find another sky blue wire at the bottom i couldnt see it due to the weather strip... so i tried it...still no lights now im reallly lost. still need help. the switch is deff good i switch the sides to both throws work... but could the relay be bad...i just bought it and put it in last night...

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Help please. I'm in the final stage of finishing the installation, the testing stage.
I followed the guide above and combine with this diagram.

When I switched to one side the lights turn on perfectly, but apparently the blue wire in in the floor under my driver seat is not the reverse, it's the door lock wire. When I switched up, my doors are locked.

Does anyone know which wire I should tap into for reverse on 2011 pro4x?

Thanks

·
on line
890 Posts
Another sky blue wire. I had the same problem, I tapped two wires before I got to the right 3rd sky blue wire. To test them without breaking them or tapping them, stick a pin or needle in the wire, and use a multimeter to test it. It should go high (12v) when the truck is in reverse.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts