Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never seen a write up on how to install a throttle body spacer so I figured I’d throw one on the forum.

Some may say that this mod is too easy to warrant a How-To but I know Ive been in a situation where people feel that a job is easy and I thought I would like a little more info or better pictures because I just wasn’t quite sure of my mechanical ability.

So for those who do not consider themselves mechanically inclined and are hesitant to take on even small jobs, here is a write up and trust me, you can do it . Its super simple and only requires a few basic tools.

That being said, this is not a thread to discuss whether or not throttle body spacers are worth the money. If you want to argue that they don’t do what they are claimed to do, please do it elsewhere.

Most of what I have written is from the instructions provided with the kit, however I build upon them a bit more and provide better pictures.

What you get:

1. Remove the negative battery terminal. It’s a 10mm bolt.

2. Remove the plastic engine cover that says V6 4.0 on it. The instructions do not say to do this but I found it was easier once I did. There are two 10mm (red circles) bolts in the front that need to be removed and then there are two rubber grommets that hold the cover down. One is on the passenger front side of the cover and the other is on the driver side rear (yellow circles). If you pull straight up firmly, they will come up.

3. Disconnect the air intake tube from the throttle body. I started by opening the top of the air filter box so you had a little more movement to play with. Then, there are two 10mm bolts that can also be removed with a Phillips head screwdriver directly in front of where the engine cover was located (look at picture after step 7). Finally, loosen the two hose clamps (red circle with white arrow) holding the plastic hose to the throttle body (10mm/flathead)

4. Remove the 4 allen screws holding the throttle body on (reference the picture above this. Red circle with red arrow). There are two on top and two on bottom. I had someone hold the intake tube out of the way to make the bottom inside bolt easier to access. They use a 5mm allen wrench. Ensure you clean out any dirt that may fall into the throttle body or intake tube when you disconnected them.

5. Next install the O-ring provided in the kit onto the spacer. There is a recessed ring on the side marked “TB Side” that it fits into. I had to stretch the O-ring a little to get it to stay in there without me holding it in. Just work with it for a minute and it will stay in there.

6. Install the spacer between the throttle body and the plastic intake tube going to the engine using the bolts and washers supplied with the kit using a 10mm wrench or socket. NOT between the throttle body and the intake tube from the air filter. Ensure that the side of the spacer with the O-ring and marked “TB side” is facing the throttle body.

7. Install the two provided extension plates where you removed the 10mm bolts holding on the air intake tube. The allen bolts provided with the kit use a 4mm allen wrench.

8. Reinstall your air intake tube, airbox cover, engine cover, and negative battery terminal.

9. Provided in the kit a C.A.R.B sticker with the info for the throttle body. This is mostly intended for California residents to help with their smog inspections. I don’t intend to register in California but I put it on anyway. There is a nice clean spot on the passenger side of the firewall (ref pic 1) but I wanted to save that in case I had to add some electronic mod in the future. So I ended up putting the sticker on top of the fuse box lid.

10. Close the hood and have a beer! :eek:ccasion5:

Total install took me a little longer because I was doing the write up but should take about 20-30 min.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you had kept reading, you would have seen that I stated this was not intended as a place for you to voice your opinions on the validity of the product.

There are other threads for that. Please do that elsewhere.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
no i read that... just stating why you haven't seen a howto on the subject. and instead of doing a howto, it would have been better to just tell people to not waste their money on such a product. companies shouldn't be able to make money on worthless products like this, it deserves to be noted everywhere that they do nothing for performance or economy or any other claim the company makes. its just a disservice to your fellow xterra brethren. again, im sorry you spent time on this howto.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
All the same, You did an excellent write-up!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
This write-up gives some nice pictures for other things related to the throttle body and engine bay. This would be good for someone who is looking to clean/repair the TB as well. With that being said, it's a useful writeup; but I also agree with knightrider and I'll leave the thread with this...

Fuel Injected = Noise Maker/No Performance Added
Carbureted = Noise Maker/Performance Added

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Jordan excellent how to and thank for taking the time to put something like this together.

On another note like you said others feeling entitled to state their opinion can shove it since there is actual real proof in this video this mod does work.

People these days need to do their damn research before spouting off bunch rubbish. Numbers are the numbers, right in the dyno, so have a look for those of you whose opinion holds grounds like your own fart.

Typical ego ignorant guys in US who have bigger egos than brains want to slab on a big turbo, boost an engine and puff their chest. Where others prefer milder mods, to improve daily driving and are looking for reliability and longevity of a vehicle.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
i dont think you have seen one because its been pretty beaten to death that a throttle body spacer does nothing. im sorry you put the time in for this very indepth install howto.
Here, take a look before coming up with flatulent opinion without having any proof of your own laziness to do research.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,029 Posts
Do you have the dyno numbers for the improvement on the Nissan 4.0? Our Xterra doesn’t use a Honda engine.
Just because it makes improvements on the Honda doesn’t mean the same applies to the 4.0. Not only that you are never going to notice a 5HP increase.
As always you are free to spend your money however you want but it’s not a noticeable power increase.

The most common intake mod on these is a intake plenum spacer not a throttle body spacer.

In addition does the Honda use a variable intake manifold like the Xterra because that will also have an impact on any spacers as the engine is already changing its intake plenum volume on the fly.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Do you have the dyno numbers for the improvement on the Nissan 4.0? Our Xterra doesn’t use a Honda engine.
Just because it makes improvements on the Honda doesn’t mean the same applies to the 4.0. Not only that you are never going to notice a 5HP increase.
As always you are free to spend your money however you want but it’s not a noticeable power increase.

The most common intake mod on these is a intake plenum spacer not a throttle body spacer.

In addition does the Honda use a variable intake manifold like the Xterra because that will also have an impact on any spacers as the engine is already changing its intake plenum volume on the fly.
Completely missed the message of the post and video provided as I was expecting from someone.
The post of the video was purely to show, that people spew bunch of junk out of their mouth without having ANY evidence at all. Because lets face, it is all about opinions and not spending 1-2 miinutes to do some actual research online these days with a large percentage of the population.

Typical pessimist mentality and not able to use just some critical thinking skills with the data available.
People can do their own dyno, as Jordan said this topic has been exhausted. Yes, am familiar with the plenum spacer which is probably the best NA mod for these engines.

People can procrastinate about making decisions, of course it will differ based on the overall engine design, intake manifold etc
I could say the same about a Smolov squat program, that I want data proving the PR increases for all age ranges, genders and previous training, injury before trying out the program. At the end of the day I will use the data available even though a small particular population percentage this was tried with, but I know it will deliver some results and try the program.

At the end of the day you used your best judgement with the available data and make a decision.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,029 Posts
Completely missed the message of the post and video provided as I was expecting from someone.
The post of the video was purely to show, that people spew bunch of junk out of their mouth without having ANY evidence at all. Because lets face, it is all about opinions and not spending 1-2 miinutes to do some actual research online these days with a large percentage of the population.

Typical pessimist mentality and not able to use just some critical thinking skills with the data available.
People can do their own dyno, as Jordan said this topic has been exhausted. Yes, am familiar with the plenum spacer which is probably the best NA mod for these engines.

People can procrastinate about making decisions, of course it will differ based on the overall engine design, intake manifold etc
I could say the same about a Smolov squat program, that I want data proving the PR increases for all age ranges, genders and previous training, injury before trying out the program. At the end of the day I will use the data available even though a small particular population percentage this was tried with, but I know it will deliver some results and try the program.

At the end of the day you used your best judgement with the available data and make a decision.
I am so confused as to what your point is here.....

You post a video that shows a TB spacer makes a whopping 5 HP and 5 ft/lbs on a 7 year old thread and then start spouting off that people are too lazy to do research and/or too stupid to make decisions and don't believe anything but provide only opinions.

Now you are saying I'm a pessimist and not able to use critical thinking skills because I had some facts and questions to the video that you posted.

Yes, a TB spacer can make more power in certain situations and I don't think anyone would argue that. Typically the numbers that actually come back are about 5 HP with less of an impact on engines with variable intake runners. So the question is does it make a noticable difference on the Xterra to justify the price? And if so, how much power on the Xterra? Chances are less than 5 HP so not really worth the money unless you want to get every last HP out of the 4.0 and don't care about cost.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
With all the extra horsepower developed with a throttle body spacer would I need to install a rear wing spoiler on the Xterra to help with downforce?

It seems like all the cars I've seen with a throttle body spacer also have spoilers such as this.
I figured it couldn't be a coincidence

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,029 Posts
With all the extra horsepower developed with a throttle body spacer would I need to install a rear wing spoiler on the Xterra to help with downforce?

It seems like all the cars I've seen with a throttle body spacer also have spoilers such as this.
I figured it couldn't be a coincidence

Only if the TB spacer is big enough to make your supercharger stick out of the hood.....

·
Registered
2,637 Posts

Jesus H.C. did you bump an 8 year old thread just start talking crap about egotistical Americans? These guys aren't talking out their bum, there's been nothing shown to prove that TB spacers do anything on our 4.0L Nissan engines. I've been around these vehicles for at least 10 years, not as long as some, but longer than most, and this topic comes up a lot. I'd have to dig, but I know for a fact that someone did dyno a TB spacer and found no improvement. So, take your maniacal self and mosey on out of here, take your psychological over-analysis to a PhD board, where it belongs.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Jesus H.C. did you bump an 8 year old thread just start talking crap about egotistical Americans? These guys aren't talking out their bum, there's been nothing shown to prove that TB spacers do anything on our 4.0L Nissan engines. I've been around these vehicles for at least 10 years, not as long as some, but longer than most, and this topic comes up a lot. I'd have to dig, but I know for a fact that someone did dyno a TB spacer and found no improvement. So, take your maniacal self and mosey on out of here, take your psychological over-analysis to a PhD board, where it belongs.
Jordan has made it clear, but one child had to open his mouth about it, without doing any type of research. Exactly what I expected when someone posts anything about doing a great job on a how to, and gets crap for it anyway from at least one. Because we do have entitled people in this country to spout bunch of rubbish out of their mouth. Question one opinion that hasn't produced anything on the topic to validate it, and feelings get hurt, comedians step in with their spoiler jokes and now we have online psychologists giving analysis. He made it clear he gives a rats ass about those feelings/opinions within his post. I can already tell someone is going to be inclined to keep this going, but do one thing and throw directives at those who actually did not abide by the individual's initial post request which was not respected.

Jorda
"That being said, this is not a thread to discuss whether or not throttle body spacers are worth the money. If you want to argue that they don’t do what they are claimed to do, please do it elsewhere."

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Jordan has made it clear, but one child had to open his mouth about it, without doing any type of research. Exactly what I expected when someone posts anything about doing a great job on a how to, and gets crap for it anyway from at least one. Because we do have entitled people in this country to spout bunch of rubbish out of their mouth. Question one opinion that hasn't produced anything on the topic to validate it, and feelings get hurt, comedians step in with their spoiler jokes and now we have online psychologists giving analysis. He made it clear he gives a rats ass about those feelings/opinions within his post. I can already tell someone is going to be inclined to keep this going, but do one thing and throw directives at those who actually did not abide by the individual's initial post request which was not respected.

Jorda
"That being said, this is not a thread to discuss whether or not throttle body spacers are worth the money. If you want to argue that they don’t do what they are claimed to do, please do it elsewhere."
I really wish I was smoking what you are right now.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I really wish I was smoking what you are right now
^^^^^
My first thought was a Cheech & Chong "Up in Smoke" video.

Reactions: RikRong and JM303

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
971 Posts
This thread typifies what NewX has devolved to.

Don’t know if I want to feel disappointed, or just shrug off the typical.
At least I’m padding my post count to inch closer to a glorious 1000. I suppose that’s a shot in the arm.
As I muse upon mundanity....sure would have been nice to see Medvedev win the Aus Open. Almost wonder if he threw it...... Sad that life has to be gauged with cynicism in almost all cases.

The one truth though, presented in this thread, is that we are indeed company to some idiotic windbags as of late. Main reason why I rarely engage....... Just too bored with it all.
Yet here I am. A colorful flower of hypocrisy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts