Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never seen a write up on how to install a throttle body spacer so I figured I’d throw one on the forum.

Some may say that this mod is too easy to warrant a How-To but I know Ive been in a situation where people feel that a job is easy and I thought I would like a little more info or better pictures because I just wasn’t quite sure of my mechanical ability.

So for those who do not consider themselves mechanically inclined and are hesitant to take on even small jobs, here is a write up and trust me, you can do it . Its super simple and only requires a few basic tools.

That being said, this is not a thread to discuss whether or not throttle body spacers are worth the money. If you want to argue that they don’t do what they are claimed to do, please do it elsewhere.

Most of what I have written is from the instructions provided with the kit, however I build upon them a bit more and provide better pictures.

What you get:

1. Remove the negative battery terminal. It’s a 10mm bolt.

2. Remove the plastic engine cover that says V6 4.0 on it. The instructions do not say to do this but I found it was easier once I did. There are two 10mm (red circles) bolts in the front that need to be removed and then there are two rubber grommets that hold the cover down. One is on the passenger front side of the cover and the other is on the driver side rear (yellow circles). If you pull straight up firmly, they will come up.

3. Disconnect the air intake tube from the throttle body. I started by opening the top of the air filter box so you had a little more movement to play with. Then, there are two 10mm bolts that can also be removed with a Phillips head screwdriver directly in front of where the engine cover was located (look at picture after step 7). Finally, loosen the two hose clamps (red circle with white arrow) holding the plastic hose to the throttle body (10mm/flathead)

4. Remove the 4 allen screws holding the throttle body on (reference the picture above this. Red circle with red arrow). There are two on top and two on bottom. I had someone hold the intake tube out of the way to make the bottom inside bolt easier to access. They use a 5mm allen wrench. Ensure you clean out any dirt that may fall into the throttle body or intake tube when you disconnected them.

5. Next install the O-ring provided in the kit onto the spacer. There is a recessed ring on the side marked “TB Side” that it fits into. I had to stretch the O-ring a little to get it to stay in there without me holding it in. Just work with it for a minute and it will stay in there.

6. Install the spacer between the throttle body and the plastic intake tube going to the engine using the bolts and washers supplied with the kit using a 10mm wrench or socket. NOT between the throttle body and the intake tube from the air filter. Ensure that the side of the spacer with the O-ring and marked “TB side” is facing the throttle body.

7. Install the two provided extension plates where you removed the 10mm bolts holding on the air intake tube. The allen bolts provided with the kit use a 4mm allen wrench.

8. Reinstall your air intake tube, airbox cover, engine cover, and negative battery terminal.

9. Provided in the kit a C.A.R.B sticker with the info for the throttle body. This is mostly intended for California residents to help with their smog inspections. I don’t intend to register in California but I put it on anyway. There is a nice clean spot on the passenger side of the firewall (ref pic 1) but I wanted to save that in case I had to add some electronic mod in the future. So I ended up putting the sticker on top of the fuse box lid.

10. Close the hood and have a beer! :eek:ccasion5:

Total install took me a little longer because I was doing the write up but should take about 20-30 min.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you had kept reading, you would have seen that I stated this was not intended as a place for you to voice your opinions on the validity of the product.

There are other threads for that. Please do that elsewhere.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
no i read that... just stating why you haven't seen a howto on the subject. and instead of doing a howto, it would have been better to just tell people to not waste their money on such a product. companies shouldn't be able to make money on worthless products like this, it deserves to be noted everywhere that they do nothing for performance or economy or any other claim the company makes. its just a disservice to your fellow xterra brethren. again, im sorry you spent time on this howto.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
All the same, You did an excellent write-up!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
This write-up gives some nice pictures for other things related to the throttle body and engine bay. This would be good for someone who is looking to clean/repair the TB as well. With that being said, it's a useful writeup; but I also agree with knightrider and I'll leave the thread with this...

Fuel Injected = Noise Maker/No Performance Added
Carbureted = Noise Maker/Performance Added

1 - 6 of 6 Posts