Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
UPDATE 09 08 06:

Well this dawg gone MOD is still going strong, and I use it way too much, people at work borrow my truck to air up tires all the time, So it's durable. Very pleased with this MOD and I now have 56K miles on my X. Sweet!

With Ideas I got from people here, I came up with this mod. A CO2 Tanks is faster yes, But will you always have it? This is bolted to the floor, It will be there, it's amazingly strong for it's price. I'm running air for a horn, air bags, and I hope lockers someday.

Remove the seat of 05 X , Bolt Tsunami Air from pep Boys ($60) in location below. (Fuel and brakes lines run on top of frame below so be careful) Extend Air guage with line that will reach pass doors for visability while airing up. Run good heavy power to kick panel and connect.

Re install seat. Coil up extender, connect air hose and she's ready to air up after trail. This sucker really blows and thanks to members of this site for the tip on where to buy!

I also plan a tank Possibly in/behind SHROCKWORKS front bumper. OR I might use the spare tire! Ever seen that done?

I will most likely have a Co2 tank for real off roading but this way I can make my own air any time should I get caught with my air down. (pun)

Update, I've used the crap out of this and no whinning. I also got some air line that hooks up to the spare and That can be used as a low pressure tank, I only go up to 85lbs with a steel rim, and truck tire. Ya take the stem out for more volume. works good. They say you can go like 150 but I am a chicken, and I don't need to anyways since I can pump it up anytime.

MC

·
on line
210 Posts
Very nice installation!

But undoable on a Off-Road version because that space is used by the Subwhoofer...

I'll have to figure out something else.

Regards,

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eXTra fORt said:
Very nice installation!

But undoable on a Off-Road version because that space is used by the Subwhoofer...

I'll have to figure out something else.

Regards,
You have a passenger seat? It will fit the same under that. And shorter run to the battery. And more than Just the Off Road has sub under seat.
There is not one under pass seat right? Not too sure about the folding seat.

G

·
0 Posts
the SE and any other model that was equipped with the Rockford Stereo system will have the AMP under the passenger seat, and the SUB under the driver seat.

:geek:

·
on line
70 Posts
Re: Air up anytime

USMC XTERRA said:
I'm running air for a horn, air bags, and I hope lockers someday.
MC
What style/model air horn did you install? Doe sit make a huge difference?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You could mount it like Dynamix mounted his air tank and then use the 12v plug that is right there...unless it draws too much power. I like the under the seat idea, but with the RF system I don't think it would work.

I have not looked yet, but I want to find a place under the hood for a compressor and then when the rear bumper comes out from Shrock I want to put a pancake tank where the spare currently is. I will then put a quick disconnect for the air hose in the rear bumper. I have it all planned, just need to find space for the compressor.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, I don't want to put the compressor unser there as I'd like to keep it as clean and dry as possible (you look at how dirty your spare is? ;) ).

Hmm, wonder where else I could mount the compressor.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Muzikman said:
Hmm, wonder where else I could mount the compressor.
Just off the top of my head. You can remove the jacket and lug wrench from under the back seat. Not sure of the compressor size or the size of that little compartment. Only issue maybe heat.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
kokopop said:
You can remove the jacket and lug wrench from under the back seat.
Wow I'm bad I first read that and said "that is so cool they give you a jacket so you don't get dirty when changing your tire", then I realized I am a complete moron and you meant jack!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
That's not a bad idea. Heat might be a problem, but since I won't be running it all the time I can just flip the seats up when I want to. Hmmm...now just have to measure. I have some time though as I won't be doing it until I move the spare.

Hell, I don't even need the jack, I got a hi-lift and once I move the spare I won't need the little extender bar. I also plan on taking off my locking nuts, so the only thing I would even need is a lug nut wrench and I'll just carry a socket and breaker bar in my tool kit.

Good idea!

·
on line
2,938 Posts
B Slater said:
kokopop said:
You can remove the jacket and lug wrench from under the back seat.
Wow I'm bad I first read that and said "that is so cool they give you a jacket so you don't get dirty when changing your tire", then I realized I am a complete moron and you meant jack!
Whoops been writting a bunch of Technical Docs today and my mind is fading.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Muzikman said:
Hell, I don't even need the jack, I got a hi-lift and once I move the spare I won't need the little extender bar. I also plan on taking off my locking nuts, so the only thing I would even need is a lug nut wrench and I'll just carry a socket and breaker bar in my tool kit.

Good idea!
my thoughts exactly. Plus there is a plastic insert that holds everything neatly together.

I have already removed the stupid locking nuts after one cracked. So secure I had to take it to the dealer to get it off.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Muzikman said:
I need to find lug nuts, but someone said the dealer was charging like $3 per nut. :cyclopsani:
I think it was more like $5. That dealer really pissed me off. Put up a big fight about it not a warranty item and since I wanted all the security lug nuts removed he was going to charge me labor. To top it off the tech put no paper or plastic on the seat or steering wheel and got grease all over the truck. They spent 20 minutes cleaning it up.

Sorry to vent.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Hey Koko
you paying labor to bust a nut??? :angel12: Careful, Big Brother is watching

·
on line
2,938 Posts
RogueClimber said:
Hey Koko
you paying labor to bust a nut??? :angel12: Careful, Big Brother is watching