Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stole this from elsewhere on the site. Kokopop posted it.
Anyways i had a time finding it so I am putting it up front.
Seems like when messing with the dash this Air bag light comes on blinking and won't shut off. This is the fix but you have to follow exactly.
Kokopop Posted:

1. Put key in. Turn the key to ON position and watch the airbag light turn on solid (not blinking).
2. As SOON as it starts blinking, turn the key off within one second.
3. Take key out
4. Repeat steps 1 -3 three more times
5. On your fourth time turn the key and the light will go on and turn off , for good within a few seconds

Timing is everything. MC

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the discovery! Saved me from staring at that light until I got to dealer. I found that disconnecting the Passenger Air bag Off Light wire is what sets this off. Normally done when installing a Stereo and removing the center section of the Dash that contains this light. MC

·
on line
86 Posts
Excellent, I just made use of it after doing the heated seats mod. I took the passenger seat out, disconnecting the occupant sensor in the process. Once I got the driver seat back in, I couldn't contain myself and went for a drive.

Oops.

Thanks!

·
on line
1,420 Posts
Thanks so much! i was calling dealerships and they were saying that if its the result of installing a radio and disconnecting a sensor electrical connector on the dash that it would be like 87 bucks!

worked on my second try! timing is crucial!

- j

·
on line
564 Posts
Thanks MC and Kokopop...you just saved me a trip to the stealer. I had the center dash apart to install the nav unit and sure enough I got the dreaded airbag flashing light. This procedure did the trick!

Rob

·
on line
628 Posts
Had to use this one myself after forgetting that I had the battery negative still connected and unplugging the passenger seat.

To me it is another way of the stealerships screwing people out of money. When I first bought my first brand new vehicle, a 2004 Frontier, I replaced the stereo the very next day, and unknowingly unplugged the the dash with the battery still connected. I went back to the dealer to get it reset and of course they wanted to charge me for it. Never before had I ever made a scene in a place of business, but I did that time. The words they used were "you are not allowed to replace the radio" My reply in a fairly loud voice was "For $20,000, I'd better be allowed to do whatever the [email protected] I feel like doing". It was my first new vehicle, I didn't really know how warrantys work. Now I do and I just don't care. My girlfriends dad vowed to never sell me another vehicle, of course 3 years later, money talks and well you know.

·
on line
18 Posts
thanx shit happened to me b for and i had to go to the dealer but now its allllll gravy! thanx!

·
on line
323 Posts
Really works

I stole this from elsewhere on the site. Kokopop posted it.
Anyways i had a time finding it so I am putting it up front.
Seems like when messing with the dash this Air bag light comes on blinking and won't shut off. This is the fix but you have to follow exactly.
Kokopop Posted:

1. Put key in. Turn the key to ON position and watch the airbag light turn on solid (not blinking).
2. As SOON as it starts blinking, turn the key off within one second.
3. Take key out
4. Repeat steps 1 -3 three more times
5. On your fourth time turn the key and the light will go on and turn off , for good within a few seconds

Timing is everything. MC
Sho nuff! This works if you have driven around with your dash taken apart, and then the airbag light keeps on blinking.
Make sure to take the key out each time.
Thanks for kokopop.

·
on line
1,368 Posts
Whomever came with this - GOD BLESS HIM ! .... I did change the radio last night and I didn't disconnect the negative (needed some light inside :)) and the stupid light came on ... enough to say that I didn't sleep well thinking that I have to pay the stealership for one hour labor to turn it off .... and a regular OBDII scanner WILL NOT work on airbags ... but the trick did it. Thank you.

·
on line
16,147 Posts
This works...just had to use it.....another small reason this forum rules...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
47 Posts
alright im glad that people here aren't out to make money because i'd of paid for that little trick. worked great. thanks

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
thanx.......this procedure saved my day after installing docking station and Garmin Nuvi 780....had to search for it before

·
Registered
134 Posts
Awesome. Just put a new stereo in. When done, went for a drive to try out the navigation. Realized the damn airbag light was blinking. Scared the crap out of me. Got back home tore everything apart and made sure I plugged all the harnesses back in and sure enough. Spent 45 minutes tinkering before I thought to myself, go check thenewx. Sure enough. Ran a search, read it, tried it an voila.....light is off. Thanks guys. Now I just gotta figure out how to set up my F700bt to allow me to edit my navigation stuff while driving. Probably have to by the software.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you!!!! Installed stereo with no problems.... put couple sets of driving lights in and it started flashing! Glad I found your post....:cheers:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts