Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
on line
493 Posts
Question on the adjustments..

when turning the screw...

1) do you loosen the screw... tilt the light, then re-tighten?
2) turn the screw (one way or the other) and the light will tilt according to how much you turn the screw?
#2 would be correct! Turn the screw and the light moves.

·
on line
67 Posts
Thanks.. I managed to get it done in about 3 mins worth of effort.. it takes a bit of wiggling to ger the right angle for the passenger side, but it can be done without playing with the battery etc..

·
on line
1,685 Posts
Sinse the pictures on page 1 doesn't work anymore if I turn the adjustment screw clockwise which way does that adjust the headlight, up or down?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
where the hello is this screw?? i cant find it. :scratch:

·
on line
1,685 Posts
its the only silver screw on the back of the headlight. its a 8mm hex.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
ok thanks ima try it tomorrow night. have u ever figured out which way it goes if its up or down?

·
on line
1,685 Posts
Clockwise down, Counter Clockwise up. You can actually turn them with your fingers.

·
on line
15 Posts
I see you have a 2010 X, so it's pretty new. Mine's an 05. There was definitely no finger turning going on when I adjusted mine tonight. Now hopefully people will stop flashing me.

·
on line
1,685 Posts
Yeah, I had to use my kung fu grip to get it to turn but it did move. Once I got the adjustment screws to move the they spun pretty easy. I think I have mine adjusted pretty well now. Each headlight got about 2 1/2 turns to get the light outta my girlfriends rearview mirror. I might turn them up 1/2 turn but thats about it.

·
on line
1,522 Posts
I use a philips screw driver put it straight down from top where you see the teeth and turn easier then doing it from back side.

·
Registered
209 Posts
another way to do this (i believe i read this a while ago on another forum) would be to drive up to a wall as close as possible. put a piece of tape at the top of the cut off line on the wall. move back 25 feet and if the cut off rises above the tape, lower it back down to where the tape is.

haven't done it yet but i've noticed lately that im getting flashed a lot by on comers. i think it might be time lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are the hi-beam and regular beam adjusted in tandem? Or can they be adjusted seperately? My regular lights are perfect, but the hi-beams shoot way too high, almost up to the trees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Both my friend's 2012 Xterra and mine came from factory with headlights adjusted WAY too high. Dealer even confirmed they were too high. Once properly aimed, high beam is OK (useless before), and low beam fine too, just not as far reaching.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This was posted on Clubfrontier... It's the best pic I could find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How to adjust headlights

Do it incrementally. Do it by counting the notches on the adjustment screws and turning equal number of teeth on each side, that is if you don't have a wall and a flat surface to measure from to adjust your beam. Hand-turn the nob clockwise to lower the headlights and counterclockwise to raise them. Drive around at night after each adjustment and correct afterwards accordingly if needed. That is how I did it and it worked well for me.

·
Registered
733 Posts
How many notches of turning should show a result?

I was at a shop today and the guy turned it 3 each direction and we saw no result.
Of course the fact the lights were way to close to the truck (about 3-4 feet away) might have covered it up too.

But My top cutoff line for low beams is maybe 90-100 feet in front of the truck.
Thats too close right?

My trucks rear recently lifted up by 1.0-1.5 inches so I know the beams are low...

My pathfinder seems to go a noticeably further on low beams (both trucks have the exact same fresh bulbs)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts