Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All- With Todd's permission from over on http://www.clubfrontier.org I am cross-posting this over here to pass the word.

I did this adjustment last night and I can't even believe how improved the feel of the clutch is now. I mean HUGE improvement!

Apparently it is a common adjustment 370Z/G35 etc drivers make on their cars.

Like he says in his post, perform at own risk! I suggest reading his entire thread before going through with this mod so that you know what you are getting into. It is a fairly simple in procedure, but a PITA in terms of getting behind the clutch pedal to make the adjustment. IMHO it was WELL worth it.

I have researched it pretty extensively as he has, including a chat with my buddy who is a mechanic, and have deemed it to be 'safe' for MY truck...The main thing you want to keep in mind is that you want to retain some 'free travel' at the top of the clutch pedal stroke.

Personally my clutch pedal now sits about an a$$ hair's width higher than my brake pedal when it is out. :D

Props to ToddG for the write up!

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/clutch-throw-adjustment-how-6-speed-50112/

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I definitely need to take a closer look at this, mine's been needing to come out from the firewall for quite some time ... but I've never taken the time to make it a priority project. Thanks for giving me something to read.

·
on line
3 Posts
Hi All- With Todd's permission from over on http://www.clubfrontier.org I am cross-posting this over here to pass the word.

I did this adjustment last night and I can't even believe how improved the feel of the clutch is now. I mean HUGE improvement!

Apparently it is a common adjustment 370Z/G35 etc drivers make on their cars.

Like he says in his post, perform at own risk! I suggest reading his entire thread before going through with this mod so that you know what you are getting into. It is a fairly simple in procedure, but a PITA in terms of getting behind the clutch pedal to make the adjustment. IMHO it was WELL worth it.

I have researched it pretty extensively as he has, including a chat with my buddy who is a mechanic, and have deemed it to be 'safe' for MY truck...The main thing you want to keep in mind is that you want to retain at some 'free travel' at the top of the clutch pedal stroke.

Personally my clutch pedal now sits about an a$$ hair's width higher than my brake pedal when it is out. :D

Props to ToddG for the write up!

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/clutch-throw-adjustment-how-6-speed-50112/
Never thought of sharing it over here, I guess being a mod on CF takes too much of my time. :bs:

As of tomorrow (see original post date) I will have had this adjustment to the truck for one year with no issues.

Anyway, hopefully this can help some folks out over here with the 6 speed. :headbang:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and one more thing...not only is this a massive improvement, but it also everyone's favorite type of mod- FREE! :headbang:

·
on line
719 Posts
After doing this, I was able to do smooth shifts without the jerking motion. It was buttery smooth after that. Did it within a month of buying mine and it's one of the best things I have done to a vehicle. Did a similar mod to my VW Bug, when I had that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you!! As with everyone else here (seems to be what's left of the experienced MT crowd), I've been driving MT's about 32 years now. I had a 2000 xterra 5spd which I thought came adjusted fine from the factory.

I just bought a 2010 Xterra x and the first thing I noticed was the excessive travel and engagement so high at the end on the pedal. I inquired with Nissan and they gave me the same answers.

I'm a large and tall man so the clutch engaging so high up was a nuisance for me!! I came across this thread and tried it and here is what I found:

Definitely tough to do if you have large hands, like me. I could only use one hand for the whole procedure. Like an earlier poster mentioned, place a cloth at the base to cover the openings below so if you drop the cotter pin or clevis pin, you won't have to tear apart your trim finding them.

I loosened the 12mm clevis lock nut first. Then I pulled the cotter pin using small needle nose pliers. It comes right off as it is the self locking type. Then I gently pushed the front of the clevis pin flush with the side of the clevis closest to me so I could grab the clevis pin to remove on the other side of the clevis.

Although the clevis pin should be free floating(when adjusted properly), I found that gently moving on the pedal back and forth helped to remove the clevis pin easily. I pulled the clevis down slightly and then toward me to bring the clevis on my side of the clutch pedal so I could turn it easily.

I turned the clevis 4 half turns clockwise(180 degrees 4 times). Then I reversed the procedure to reinstall and then focused my attention on the ASCD clutch switch. I used a 14mm open end wrench to loosen the locknut and spun the locknut back out of the way easily. Then I turned the switch itself until I could visually see the switch was fully depressed.

After re-tightening the ASCD clutch switch locknut, I visually double checked the clevis pin was free floating and that the clutch travel was not interrupted in any way.

I got inside to take it for a ride and first verified the Clutch interlock switch didn't need any adjustment. It started right up so guess not! Immediately, I could feel the difference where the pedal travel begins, engages and disengages.

FANTASTIC!!!

I will try it like I have it for a while but honestly, if I can get away with bringing the pedal down some more, I probably will (just because I have long legs).

Thank you to the original poster on this thread for bringing it to Xterra land but especially to the original poster from the Frontier forums, and to everyone else who has contributed, because the information allowed me to get the job done in about 20 minutes.

No way I'm going to get my wife to do it!! LOL!!

As far as ill affects down the road. I'm not a mechanic but I've been working on cars since I was about 12. There was some concern from one of the posters in this thread. Although he may be technically correct, it is not likely the mod will affect most people.

From what I have learned about clutches, those tolerances at the pedal are built in to consider a lot of conditions inside the clutch housing. I do know that excessive use of the clutch will cause the plates to expand and thus temporarily changes the point where clutch engagement/disengagement occurs at the pedal.

That said, I'll take my chances as these days, I don't push the clutch like I used to. Gas costs too much!! Anyway, thanks again!!

EDIT: 17 Feb 11 - After driving around in different conditions, I decided to turn the clevis 2 more half turns clockwise for a total of 6 clockwise half turns so far. Feels even better but there might be another adjustment in the future..

·
on line
5,042 Posts
With the JWT clutch kit, I have almost no play. Could maybe tighten it down a bit. Maybe I'll fiddle with it a bit. Interesting

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
This is the best mod I have done yet.
It took me about 15 minutes. Thank god for my long skinny fingers. To bad my arms where long too. The only thing to remember is don't adjust it so much where you would not disengage the clutch for shifting.

·
Veteran - Deceased Member; 03/18/1975 - 08/16/2012
2,082 Posts
just did the adjustment and went for a drive. it feels good. this is how it should be set up from the factory. no more huge dead zone at the bottom of the pedal. left abit of free play at the top. the rpm's don't have a chance to drop between shifts and it really smooths out the shifts.

i marked the rod with a white paint pen and turned it 1-3/4 turns counter-clockwise when you are looking at it from the seat. a little hard to get at it, but not to bad, alot of tiny turns on the rod with needle nose pliers. took all of 15 min. highly recommended, nice find. :salute:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I found this in January and the only issue that I had was that I over adjusted it and I could feel the syncros grabbing a bit. I backed it out two turns and it was golden. 6000 miles later and I haven't noticed any other negatives. I the long run it will probably extend the length of my clutch because the vague dead zone is gone... I love it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts