Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the nisstec adjustable shackles and have them set at the lowest setting right now. And want to raise it up a little more. How do I adjust the shackles?

Is it as simple as jacking the rig up undoing the shackle and placing them in the setting i want then insert the shackle back in?

Or do I need to raise the rig, drop the axel undo ubolts to relieve the pressure on the springs then undo the shackles adjust then put everything back together?

Am I way off on this or what? haha all info is welcome.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's almost as simple as jacking and moving. When unbolted the spring will want to bend up, so use the stock scissor jack between the spring and frame to push it down to where you want. You'll want to have the wheel off when you do this to give you the room you need.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'll be doin the same here in a little bit once I get time to install my new coilovers.

So to clarify, I dont need to undo the u bolts? just jack it up undo the shackles put a scissor jack between the body and leaf spring then put it in the setting I want?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Jack up truck, take off rear tires and put it on jack stands on the rear.

let rear end hang free from springs (ie no tires)

unbolt shackle, let the spring and axle move down re bolt shackle, repeat for other side

jack truck back up to put tires on and remove jack stands

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I don't remember removing the shocks (maybe i did)... but I definitely didn't use a jack between body/spring. Maybe my truck was just jacked up higher? Maybe its cause I did both sides at once?

EDIT: Just for reference. OEM springs, OEM shocks.
Jack stands on the frame, jack under pumpkin to offer support (NOT lift, just unbinding the shackles), take out the adjustment bolts on the shackles, lower/lift from pumpkin to get shackles to new height, reinstall the bolt. You MIGHT need to remove the shocks at one end.... doubt it though. If shocks limit your droop, then probably do need to remove one end.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I suppose it really depends on exactly how it is done. I did one side at a time, so the scissor jack was necessary to push the spring down. If both sides are in the air it may be a different story. Also, I have the stock leafs and shocks, so that might make a difference as well. The only bolt that has to be removed is the one connecting the shackle to the frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts