Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
After following the a few threads about how the X is lacking Side viewable Signal Lights, I started searching for a fix. Here are a few threads;

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/12-electrical/41636-adding-turn-signals-mirrors-updated-info-where-tap-turn-signals.html
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/9-general-xterra/21513-no-turn-signal-sides.html
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-tos/48491-how-install-dedicated-side-turn-signal-lights.html

I came across this thread. It's miata related but gave me something to go off of.
Also, howvood gave the basic info in that 2nd thread, post #16.

Basically, this mod will let the side running lights continue to act as such, but also give them the ability to blink when needed. Therefore, we get side viewing ability from our stock parts. During the day, they blink in unison with the front Signal Lights, and with the Headlights in Parking Mode, or on, they Blink alternately.

So after grabbing a few supplies, I got down to it. I had previously tested this all out with a Voltmeter prior to slicing everything up, so I knew which Wires did what. Note that my pics are all from the Driver-side due to the extra working room. The Battery is tight to work around on the other side, but the Wires are in the same locations, (and colors - at least on my 2006). Also you should probably disconnect the Battery and all that safety stuff, I didn't, but it's your vehicle.

SUPPLIES: I used 2 Butt Connectors, 2 Vampire Connectors, 2 - 1' pieces of 18G Wire, and then Electrical Tape to pretty it up.

Here is the Sidelight Bulb. We will be cutting the Black Ground Wire and running a new Wire from the Bulb side to the Signal Live Wire.

Here are the Signal Leads. This is on the Driver-side, but the colors matched the same on the Passengers-side, (at least for me on my 2006).

After cutting and Butt Connecting the Sidelight, I Heat Shrinked the remaining Ground closed since we don't need it anymore.

And then ran that new Wire down to the Green Signal Wire. Just a quick Vampire Connection.

You may need to trim some loom here and there. Tape it all up real nice, plug your connections back together and make sure your Bulbs are not broken. My one was burnt out and I redid with wiring before replacing the Bulb :banghead:. If everything went well, you now have visible Side Markers signaling for you, day or night.

Hope this helps someone out. It cost me under $2 and gave me something to do on a rainy Sunday. Let me know how you like it.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Just did this. Very simple to do and adds a lot to the safety of driving. Course most peeps don't use turn signals anymore.
I'll be adding signals to the mirror when I tear into them to do the heated mirrors.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
I want to do this too. Thanks for resurrecting this thread. The links in the OP are also useful. I didn't realize the X turn signals aren't visible to vehicles beside you… note to self.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
People get mad at me all the time when I make a left toward them at a 4 way stop. I get the "nice turn signal jerk" stare. Meanwhile I always have the darn thing on, but people to the sides cant see it. Might have to try this.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Thinking of adding amber LED turn signals or running lights that blink to the plastic bumpers on the sides near the front and rear lights... would be an easy mod to tap into local harnessing and don’t have to drill into the body. I just don't want to see a turn signal in my line of sight or rear view.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
all they need is a 3/4" hole.
You could mount them on the bottom of the mirror, frontside or maybe the outer side depending if there's enough room for the mirror to move.
In the plastic front or rear bumper it'd be an easy thing to do.
I've seen the with 2 led's so one acts as a running light and one will come on and work as a flasher.
You could tap into the corner marker wiring after doing the mod and it would mimic it's on/ off function

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Damn you Xterra FORUM!!! Now I have ANOTHER thing to add to the list. :)

And I just put heated mirrors in...

Oh well, I think those LED lights Bucksnort listed would be great to have on the side of the sideview mirrors.

Guess I'll be taking them apart again and adding another wire. At least I already have the gromets in place and ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How is this mod working long-term?

Has anybody done this mod on a 2009+ and if so how is it working? Any strange electrical issues cropping up?

Thanks,

Steve

2010 Frontier LE CC 4WD

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I had all led for a while but for them to work right you will need to install some resistor so I went back to stock bulbs

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
I just ordered 4 of those amber LED's from the link bucksnort provided. $26.79 shipped. This is next on the mod list. Looking to put them in front/rear plastic side bumpers near the fenders.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Bucksnort, please make sure that you do a how to for turn Signal Mirrors. I would be interested in that
Someone did a 'How-to' on adding some extra Side Turn Signals.... Don't have a link to it though.
I posted pictures of where to tap for the Turn Signals in the Driver and Front Passenger Foot Wells for putting Signals on the Mirrors back in May. No Wires through Firewall install.

Adding Turn Signals to Mirrors. Updated with info on where to Tap Turn Signals

1 - 20 of 25 Posts