Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Installation of Automotive Customizer, (4x4parts.com), adopted from their instructions with my comments, tips, and pictures.

Before measurements – I used a drywall square which has a 1.5 off set on the bottom so you have to add that to each measurement.

Starting off stock with 35” from the ground to the wheel well. This is a 2006 off-road model.

1) Park vehicle on level ground. Block the tires to prevent rolling. Raise the rear end of the vehicle so that the rear tires are no longer supporting the vehicle. Secure the vehicle with jack stands under the frame rails. I disconnected the ABS brake lines as they get rather taunt after disconnecting the rear shackle brackets.

2) Unbolt rear sway bar at the axle mount on both sides and let it hang down.

3) Unbolt the shocks where they mount to the axle. If you are replacing your shocks, remove them completely.

4) Loosen all nuts from the stock shackles on both sides.

5) Raise the axle with a jack to aleviate pressure from the leaf packs until you can slide the stock shackles from leaf packs and frame. Remove all nuts. Make sure there is no pressure on the leaf packs and the stock shackles will slide out smoothly. I found that by putting the hydraulic jack under the rear axle and pumping it up until the body started to lift slightly … then lowering it very slowly until the body stops lowering and then just another half and inch or so. I used a hammer and tapped on the trapped bolts while lowering until they came loose. At that point I stopped lowering the jack and tapped the bolts out with the hammer. You’ll want to take both rear shackles off.

6) Slide the sleeve provided into the top bushing located in the frame rail. You can reuse your stock bushings, there is no reason to buy new bushings in most cases. Position the new shackle so that the standard sized bolt, provided with the kit can go through the shackle and the sleeve with the head of the bolt towards the outside of the vehicle. Hand tighten the nut onto the standard sized bolt. The nut should twist on easily. If not, you need to make sure you are using the proper nut for the standard sized bolt because there are nuts included in the kit of different thread size. On the driver’s side you’ll find that there’s a black box (part of the fuel system) just behind the top bolt blocking access from that side fairly well. The passenger’s side is fairly easy.

(above note the black plastic box from the fuel system blocking the top bolt)

7) Place the hydraulic jack under the spring pack on one side at a time and pump the jack to align hole in the leaf spring with the shackle. I used a big pry bar to help the spring into the gap of shackle to get it started and then pushed, pumped the jack, and pried until everything aligned and the bolts slide home. Place the metric bolt through the lower shackle bolt hole and the leaf pack with the head of the bolt towards the outside of the vehicle. Hand tighten the nut onto the bolt.

8) Repeat steps 6 & 7 on the opposite side.

9) Securely tighten all the bolts and nuts. It is a good idea to use Lock-Tite on the nuts and bolts. The top bolt have nylon-inserts but the bottom ones are standard bolts using a lock washer.

10) Replace shocks to their original position. If you are replacing them, fully install your new shocks.

11) Securely tighten the rear sway bar to its original position. Put the ABS brake lines back into their keepers if you took them loose earlier.

13) Remove jack stands and jack. Examine the nuts and bolts after the first ten miles to make sure nothing is loose. If it is retighten and secure.

Here’s the results – 2” of lift exactly.

Total time was about three hours including a 20 minute time out to chat with my neighbor. Not too difficult at all – a few metric wrenches, a jack, jack stands, a torque wrench, and a bit of locktite. Torque specifications are available in a post tacked to the top of this forum.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tomorrow the front springs! :bounce:

·
on line
631 Posts
thanks for the write up! i will be referencing this during my install. i cant wait til my shackles get here... spring break is next week, so i have time to MOD! :cheers:

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Never found that thread. :drunken:

I don't have a bottle jack but do have a small hydraulic jack - I needed a small one to get under the Z. If you disconnect both sides stock shackles it's a bunch easier to get the shackle bottom into the spring. I was doing this alone, with another man they could simply press down on the sping pack to help.

This is engineeing at it's finest!

·
on line
108 Posts
Wish I would of thought of that, When I did the shacke install on my old 02 We had it up on a lift. and I used gravity plus the weight of myself (275lbs) plus cursing, to pull the spings down to line up the bolts, But I like your method to! :thumbright: I'll be sure to use your method on my shackles once they arrive.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
paulxyz wrote:
I don't have a bottle jack but do have a small hydraulic jack - I needed a small one to get under the Z. If you disconnect both sides stock shackles it's a bunch easier to get the shackle bottom into the spring. I was doing this alone, with another man they could simply press down on the sping pack to help.
Yeah, pretty much any jack will work... i used my stock xterra scissor jack with no probs.

·
on line
776 Posts
shacks

dirt36 said:
I just want to say thanks for this write up. I used it today and it was very helpful and well-written!!!
Finally got around to putting em on huh? Hope you enjoy em!

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My new recommendation is that you might as well just leave the rear sway bars off as long as you've got four of the six bolts off. :)

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Thanks PaulXyZ, I finally got a chance to install the AC Shackles. When installing the longer shackles, I didn't have to use a jack to push the rear leaf springs down. In fact, I needed to use the jack to keep the rearend from lowering too far. Here are a few "after" pics.

Hopefully, I'll have some time this week to install the AC coils.

·
on line
147 Posts
Bringing back an old thread, I have run into a little problem. I can't seem to get the stock shackles off. All four bolts seem seized. I've soaked them and even tried a hammer on the wrench. Any other tips? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts