Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

How-to: ABS Off Version 3

72K views 174 replies 42 participants last post by  PhullD 
#1 · (Edited)
I discovered another way to shut off ABS.

****DISCLAIMER****

As with all mods on here, I take no responsibility for what happens to you or your vehicle when modifying it. Do so at your own risk.

There is some mod on here about messing with the fuses which won't let you shift out of 4x4 or something and another one that requires you modify the ABS motor by either pulling that fuse, or bypassing it and connecting the fuse to a switch.

For this method, just pop the drink holder molding off. At the back, towards the center console there is a plug right there (the plug on the top of the image with 4 wires) , that is your ABS plug.

Unplug that and you are done! You can shift to 4 hi, 4 low and lock it with the e-locker no problem. To turn it back on, plug it back in and turn off your engine and restart. The ABS will be back to normal.

If you want to use a switch:

The brown wire is the ground for the plug.

Pull that sucker out of the wiring harness, snip it and connect the wires to a switch. With the switch in the "on" position there is a connection and the ABS works normal, in the "off" position the circuit is broken and the ABS shuts off. Even a momentary switch will interrupt the ABS and keep it off until restart. You no longer have to pop off the molding or anything, just hit the switch. You can now turn off your ABS on the fly and turn it back on easily upon restart! :cheers:

To use a rocker push switch:
ABS Off button installed with the use of a 5 pin relay if you want a push button similar to stock like I did. Using a 5 pin relay, 86 is the signal wire from the ABS Off switch, 85 is ground, 30 goes to the part of the brown ground wire from the ABS harness towards the front of the vehicle, 87a goes to the portion towards the rear, and 87 is not used. The 30-87a is normally on, a signal triggers the 5 pin relay and interrupts it switching to 30-87 but 87 is not connected to the ABS ground.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yep should be no problem to pull it with the engine running.

I have not made a switch yet due to the cold weather and lack of a garage. I did however unplug it with the engine on and it was fine. After 20 min of enjoying no ABS in the snow, I drove home, plugged it back in and did the restart with no issues.

#8 ·
So can we confirm that you can still get 4wd by this method. I had a bad abs sensor and ABS, VDC, and most importantly 4wd would not work.

Even if I tried the "turn the truck off, switch to 4wd, start the engine" trick multiple times with no success.

With this being the same system that would be my main concern.

#19 · (Edited)
FYI...the pin-out on the back of it does NOT match up w/ the pin out shown in the pictures. this is what they look like (red lines = pins)

I didn't wire up the ring light on it (I didn't want it lit up constantly as the switch would always be "on"). To wire it up so it cuts the brown wire connection, there's two ways depending on how you want the switch to operate:
Button "up" (flush) - ABS functioning. Push button down to disable
- the left & right pins of the middle row are what ya wanna use.

Button "down" - ABS functioning. Push to release it to disable ABS (button flush)
- the middle pin & either the left or right pin. You'll have to do a continuity test to determine which one it is.

#20 ·
So does this mod eliminate the ridiculously over-sensitive ABS pulsing I get with 34" tires when I turn corners too fast?

You're basically unplugging the vehicle stability control IMU that's under there. Our trucks still use wheel speed and steering angle sensors. I'm wondering how that plays into it.

#28 ·
Nope....other way around. When cover is up and switch thrown, the circuit is closed.... thereby completing the ground wire and allowing abs to function.

That kind of switch is designed as a protective-type of switch in 2 ways:
- to protect from accidentally turning it on (having to flip up the cover to throw the switch)
- quick kill switch. If somethings going wrong, just slap the cover, and it'll close, thereby throwing the switch to the off position

#30 ·
sooo...this mod works frickin' well!

At highway speeds, going down to charlotte, there's some exits that have super 'sharp' turns to them. Due to the 285s, the SLIP light would kick on while going around those turns at even at around 45-50mph...so you'd hear ABS kicking in while SLIP flashed on dash.

Pushed the button...and BAM!...NO MORE ABS "clicking" noise...SLIP was disabled & I finished rounding the turn with no more effect of ABS.

and remember....only way to "turn off" the ABS-off is it restart the truck. Pressing the button again doesn't re-enable it. So, once pressed...ABS is disabled til it's restarted.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.