Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
I was hoping the powers at be regarding this mod could tell me why bypassing won’t let me engage 4wd, since they claim this mod should work. I did the mod, it doesn’t work for me, and I’m here seeking an answer why.

My guess is any issue with abs isn’t allowing the mod to work. I’m assuming this mod is for people with functioning abs systems?

Also, I’m not really gunking up the thread, the mod is clear as day in the first post. The rest of the thread is people who are adding info, personal experiences, and having small issues or differences and how some of them have worked around them. I’m having problem with this mod, and that’s why I’m here, for help and info
sorryz man. Based off the "long version" of the story, ya already had ABS issues before going into this. Attempting the mod was trying to be a bandaid to get around the already existing problem. So....yeah, I posted what I said cause it didn't really deal w/ the mod itself.

but glad to hear ya got it at Nissan to be looked at. Electrical gremlins are a major PITA to troubleshoot :-( hope it's speedy & not overly expensive to fix!

·
Registered
25 Posts
sorryz man. Based off the "long version" of the story, ya already had ABS issues before going into this. Attempting the mod was trying to be a bandaid to get around the already existing problem. So....yeah, I posted what I said cause it didn't really deal w/ the mod itself.

but glad to hear ya got it at Nissan to be looked at. Electrical gremlins are a major PITA to troubleshoot ? hope it's speedy & not overly expensive to fix!
I figured I would give an update here, I got my 4wd fixed. Pulled codes and the one that it threw among all the VDC and related ones was front drivers side abs wire. That one was not on my radar because it wasn’t visibly broken. Definitely broken and was spliced by the previous owner very poorly. I fixed it properly for the low cost of free.99 and have my 4wd back! Will try the mod soon and report back. Thanks for everyone’s patience ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Took a look under my center cup holder again, and I do not have that plug in my 06 Nismo.

Only a plug for the ebrake light and one for the center console cig socket power.

Seems like I would need to have this connection somewhere. My truck does not have the yaw sensor or VDC. Wonder if I can snip this "brown" wire up by the ABS control module. I think Nissan added the VDC and the Yaw sensor to later years? Anyone know when. In doing so I think they retuned the ABS to be less sensitive, if you can imagine that. I often run in 4 low with the rear locker on just so that I can turn off the ABS. It would be awesome if someone could figure out how to replicate the factory ABS off when the rear locker is engaged.

OPs
Took a look under my center cup holder again, and I do not have that plug in my 06 Nismo.

Only a plug for the ebrake light and one for the center console cig socket power.

Seems like I would need to have this connection somewhere. My truck does not have the yaw sensor or VDC. Wonder if I can snip this "brown" wire up by the ABS control module. I think Nissan added the VDC and the Yaw sensor to later years? Anyone know when. In doing so I think they retuned the ABS to be less sensitive, if you can imagine that. I often run in 4 low with the rear locker on just so that I can turn off the ABS. It would be awesome if someone could figure out how to replicate the factory ABS off when the rear locker is engaged.

OPs
Hey! Did you ever find ‘the wire’?? I have the same problem as you!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread to say that I did this yesterday and it works! Thanks to the users who figured this out!

I got a double pole double throw independently illuminated switch from Otrattw (VJD2UXXB) and wired it up so that the disk brake is lit up when ABS is on, and ABS DISABLE is illuminated when the ABS is off (of course some dashboard lights come on at the same time so it's not totally necessary). The dash lights stay on until the car is restarted. I haven't checked if the ABS comes back when the switch is moved back to enable.

It's a pretty quick job if you don't have a bunch of other things to do behind the dash. It took me all day because I was re-wiring a bunch of other stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the mod and it works great.
My 2007 X (with manual transmission) was dangerous, while trying to negotiate a steep icy hill the ABS caused me to slide right through a red light. Luckily there was no traffic. Now I can down shift and brake properly and snow and ice stops are no problem.
Car Fixture Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle door

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did the mod and it works great.
My 2007 X (with manual transmission) was dangerous, while trying to negotiate a steep icy hill the ABS caused me to slide right through a red light. Luckily there was no traffic. Now I can down shift and brake properly and snow and ice stops are no problem.
View attachment 141456
Where was your ecu located? In my 2009 it is not in the same location as in OP’s post. Maybe it it because my truck did not come with traction control only ABS…?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where was your ecu located? In my 2009 it is not in the same location as in OP’s post. Maybe it it because my truck did not come with traction control only ABS…?
I believe the device in question is a yaw sensor. You would not want to disconnect the ground on the ECU.
It is to the rear of the console bolted to the floor. The photo of the original post is upside down, in my opinion.
My car has VDC and ABS. So you may well not have a yaw sensor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe the device in question is a yaw sensor. You would not want to disconnect the ground on the ECU.
It is to the rear of the console bolted to the floor. The photo of the original post is upside down, in my opinion.
My car has VDC and ABS. So you may well not have a yaw sensor.
I think that might be the case. It has less to do with the manufacture year, as I believed and more to do with the fact I don’t have VDC.
Thanks for the reply. Happy new year!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I discovered another way to shut off ABS.

DISCLAIMER

As with all mods on here, I take no responsibility for what happens to you or your vehicle when modifying it. Do so at your own risk.

There is some mod on here about messing with the fuses which won't let you shift out of 4x4 or something and another one that requires you modify the ABS motor by either pulling that fuse, or bypassing it and connecting the fuse to a switch.

For this method, just pop the drink holder molding off. At the back, towards the center console there is a plug right there (the plug on the top of the image with 4 wires) , that is your ABS plug.

Unplug that and you are done! You can shift to 4 hi, 4 low and lock it with the e-locker no problem. To turn it back on, plug it back in and turn off your engine and restart. The ABS will be back to normal.

If you want to use a switch:

The brown wire is the ground for the plug.

Pull that sucker out of the wiring harness, snip it and connect the wires to a switch. With the switch in the "on" position there is a connection and the ABS works normal, in the "off" position the circuit is broken and the ABS shuts off. Even a momentary switch will interrupt the ABS and keep it off until restart. You no longer have to pop off the molding or anything, just hit the switch. You can now turn off your ABS on the fly and turn it back on easily upon restart! :cheers:

To use a rocker push switch:
ABS Off button installed with the use of a 5 pin relay if you want a push button similar to stock like I did. Using a 5 pin relay, 86 is the signal wire from the ABS Off switch, 85 is ground, 30 goes to the part of the brown ground wire from the ABS harness towards the front of the vehicle, 87a goes to the portion towards the rear, and 87 is not used. The 30-87a is normally on, a signal triggers the 5 pin relay and interrupts it switching to 30-87 but 87 is not connected to the ABS ground.
So does this mod eliminate the ridiculously over-sensitive ABS pulsing I get with 34" tires when I turn corners too fast?

You're basically unplugging the vehicle stability control IMU that's under there. Our trucks still use wheel speed and steering angle sensors. I'm wondering how that plays into it.
Just double checking I am looking at the correct sensor.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Car

161 - 172 of 172 Posts