Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I pulled the plug from the G sensor last weekend and very happy with getting rid of the nanny-throttle in sand dunes. On my 2014 model, it was easiest to remove the 2 screws at the rear on either side of the center console, then lift it up and unbolt the G sensor from the floor. This allowed easier access to the clip on the plug. Now that the cable is free I can do the rest of the wiring work by removing the cup holder.

To install a switch and avoid requiring a relay and a hot wire to power it I plan on using an NC (normally closed) momentary switch like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJXBELC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A1ZFJY6YSKB3ZG
or this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I9KDV2Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=AFILHMJZCK2VV

I like that the second button is black, but can't seem to find a black one without the LED.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread especially PhullD and JOSX2.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does the plug to the G sensor stay unplugged after the switch is installed?

I pulled the plug from the G sensor last weekend and very happy with getting rid of the nanny-throttle in sand dunes. On my 2014 model, it was easiest to remove the 2 screws at the rear on either side of the center console, then lift it up and unbolt the G sensor from the floor. This allowed easier access to the clip on the plug. Now that the cable is free I can do the rest of the wiring work by removing the cup holder.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread especially PhullD and JOSX2.

·
NewX’er 4life
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Ok, just because I like double verification...

1. Cut brown wire.
  2. Install switch inline.
  3. ABS mod done.
Yes that's right. The only "tricky" part is that a switch is normally closed and when you engage it it completes a connection as discussed on here. So to have ABS functioning with a normal switch it has to be depressed so the ground makes a connection.

I used a normally open relay so that when I hit the switch it stops the ground connection at the relay. Same principle, just different preference to wire it up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Easy enough. Switch in position >ON = ABS ON

Yes that's right. The only "tricky" part is that a switch is normally closed and when you engage it it completes a connection as discussed on here. So to have ABS functioning with a normal switch it has to be depressed so the ground makes a connection.

I used a normally open relay so that when I hit the switch it stops the ground connection at the relay. Same principle, just different preference to wire it up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just did this mod last night in my 2014 Pro4x. When I activate the switch I only get the ABS light and SLIP to COME on. VDC OFF light does come on. If I press the OEM switch after using this mod VDC OFF lights up on the dash.

Haven't had a chance to test it yet but this seems like different behaviour from what has been reported here. Should I not be seeing all lights come on with this mod? ABS, SLIP and VDC OFF?

Thanks!

First photo shows dash with the button from this mod pressed. Second photo shows the dash with this mod + oem vdc button pressed.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
very happy with getting rid of the nanny-throttle in sand dunes.
Isn't that what the VDC OFF button is for? I just hit that button when I wanted to rip some donuts in a snowy parking lot a few weeks ago and it allowed all sorts of fun wheelspin and throttle! Perhaps mine works differently because it's older though.

Anyway, I will be doing this mod at some point, since ABS in snow, (and mud/loose surfaces off road I imagine) is a bit scary.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I mean. Kinda. ABS in snow takes longer to stop but still gives you more control. It makes it possible to brake on corners and bends in snow.
Yes there is that. For me it's probably more of a learning curve thing as this is the first vehicle I've ever owned which has had any of these new-fangled gizmos like traction control/VDC and ABS.

One thing I really like about the VDC so far is that it does a pretty decent job of keeping the vehicle pointing in the direction you want to go in slippery conditions, especially in 2wd. My wife appreciates this too, since she doesn't handle "unexpected vehicle direction changes" nearly as well as I do. :)

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
1,081 Posts
Me too. Pulling the ABS fuse would just bring me back to any other car I had.. LOL
Yeah ABS/VDC is great when your're on the highway and suddenly the back end swings out on you.. (had that happen during freezing rain on the highway... not fun) It helps getting the nose pointed back in the right direction.
Thing that sucks about ABS in the snow (for me anyway) is when you're stuck in it, or close to being. For example, I was trying to get through a snowbank in 4WD, VDC button switched off and Iv'e got roostertails front and back trying to claw through, and the ABS is grinding away

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Me too. Pulling the ABS fuse would just bring me back to any other car I had.. LOL
Yeah ABS/VDC is great when your're on the highway and suddenly the back end swings out on you.. (had that happen during freezing rain on the highway... not fun) It helps getting the nose pointed back in the right direction.
Thing that sucks about ABS in the snow (for me anyway) is when you're stuck in it, or close to being. For example, I was trying to get through a snowbank in 4WD, VDC button switched off and Iv'e got roostertails front and back trying to claw through, and the ABS is grinding away
Do you mean ABLS? Like the ABLS was applying the brake to the wheel that was spinning in an effort to get the open diff to give power to the wheel that isn't spinning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi guys, I’ve been doing LOTS of research and am stumped. There’s a long story and a short story. Let’s start with the short version:
I opened the cup holder, found the right connector near the center console, unplugged it, and do NOT have 4lo, 4hi, or rear locker ability. All the 4x4 lights just blink and it does NOT go into 4x4. I drove around a field from 0-10mph weaving around hoping they would engage but nothing. Rear tire spins easy when I throttle.
Long version: I already had my ABS, VDC, and SLIP lights on because my 4x4 has not worked since I got the truck. There was a broken rear abs wire (looks like it rubbed on the frame) on the harness side (not the plug side) and I soldered that up after unplugging the abs wire. Plugged it back in and didn’t fix the problem. That’s the backstory. I was hoping this would be an easy 4x4 fix until I can get time and/or money to fix the root problem. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
couldn't really tell ya....but ya should start a new thread for this, rather than gunk up a how-to on troubleshooting your issue.
I was hoping the powers at be regarding this mod could tell me why bypassing won’t let me engage 4wd, since they claim this mod should work. I did the mod, it doesn’t work for me, and I’m here seeking an answer why.

My guess is any issue with abs isn’t allowing the mod to work. I’m assuming this mod is for people with functioning abs systems?

Also, I’m not really gunking up the thread, the mod is clear as day in the first post. The rest of the thread is people who are adding info, personal experiences, and having small issues or differences and how some of them have worked around them. I’m having problem with this mod, and that’s why I’m here, for help and info

·
NewX’er 4life
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Hi guys, I’ve been doing LOTS of research and am stumped. There’s a long story and a short story. Let’s start with the short version:
I opened the cup holder, found the right connector near the center console, unplugged it, and do NOT have 4lo, 4hi, or rear locker ability. All the 4x4 lights just blink and it does NOT go into 4x4. I drove around a field from 0-10mph weaving around hoping they would engage but nothing. Rear tire spins easy when I throttle.
Long version: I already had my ABS, VDC, and SLIP lights on because my 4x4 has not worked since I got the truck. There was a broken rear abs wire (looks like it rubbed on the frame) on the harness side (not the plug side) and I soldered that up after unplugging the abs wire. Plugged it back in and didn’t fix the problem.
I think you answered your own question. Fix your truck properly, then attempt testing out the mod. The mod only affects the yaw sensor, the rest of the ABS system is untouched.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think you answered your own question. Fix your truck properly, then attempt testing out the mod. The mod only affects the yaw sensor, the rest of the ABS system is untouched.
I was worried about this. I hoped this was a sort of bypass bandaid mod for now but not the case. The truck is currently at Nissan and I’ll hopefully at least have a diagnosis soon. Thanks for the insight

141 - 160 of 172 Posts