Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
You and me both haha. After reading the FSM for a long time today I think I have a plan, I'm going to put a relay on the stop lamp on wire going into the control unit.
I take it your 2006 does not have VDC or the yaw sensor.

Please explain in what you are planning on doing.

I once saw a power wire going to the ABS control modual that i thought I could cut (switch) to disable the ABS. Never pursued it any further. I can't figure it out but I still think activating the factory ABS when the rear locker is engaged is probably the cleanest way to do it.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Warning, long reply coming haha.

I have VDC and the Yaw Sensor. The electronic brain of everything, the VDC/TCS/ABS/EBD is under the hood next to the brake booster. That's where all of the information from the wheels, steering, yaw sensor, etc is sent. Basically this mod above triggers a fail-safe mode, there are a few different types of fail-safe that can be activated depending on what triggered it. What I'm reading in the FSM is this:

• In case of an electrical malfunction with the ABS, the ABS warning lamp, VDC OFF indicator lamp and SLIP indicator lamp will turn on.

• In case of an electrical malfunction with the EBD system, the brake warning lamp, ABS warning lamp, VDC OFF indicator lamp and SLIP indicator lamp will turn on.

The system will revert to one of the following conditions of the Fail-Safe function:

• For ABS malfunction, only the EBD is operative and the condition of the vehicle is the same condition of vehicles without ABS/TCS/VDC system.

• For EBD malfunction, the EBD and ABS become inoperative, and the condition of the vehicle is the same as the condition of vehicles without ABS/TCS/VDC or EBD system.

• In case of TCS/VDC system malfunction, the VDC OFF indicator lamp and SLIP indicator lamp are turned on and the condition of the vehicle is the same as the condition of vehicles without TCS/VDC system.

•In case of an electrical malfunction with the TCS/VDC system, the ABS control continues to operate normally without TCS/VDC control.

● In case of HDC system malfunction, the HDC indicator lamp will remain off even though the HDC switch is operated and the condition of the vehicle is the same as the condition of vehicles without HDC system.

● In case of HSA system malfunction, the VDC OFF and SLIP indicator lamps are turned on and the condition of the vehicle is the same as the condition of vehicles without HSA system.

So according to the FSM at least, my switch is functioning correctly by only disabling traction control(TCS)/VDC while leaving the ABS functioning normally. Obviously that's not the case for everyone because a lot of people here have been able to disable ABS at the same time so Nissan must have some undocumented wiring weirdness going on IMO. But what I noticed in the documentation is that if the Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) is triggered into fail-safe mode you can disable everything at once, no more ABS/VDC/TCS/EBD. With that in mind my plan is to do a relay like I installed on the Yaw sensor on the brain of the system to try and trigger the EBD into fail-safe mode so I can disable all electronic driving aids in one switch.

·
Registered
2012 Pro-4X
271 Posts
... With that in mind my plan is to do a relay like I installed on the Yaw sensor on the brain of the system to try and trigger the EBD into fail-safe mode so I can disable all electronic driving aids in one switch.

I'm really interested in what you find/do. Keep us posted.

I got a brief chance to test this mod yesterday, and it does NOT do what I was hoping it would. I still can't left-foot break in 4L. I only drove for 15 min, so I don't have a good feeling for what the mod does, but the nanny throttle is still there...

·
NewX’er 4life
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
• For ABS malfunction, only the EBD is operative and the condition of the vehicle is the same condition of vehicles without ABS/TCS/VDC system.

[/I]
I'm really interested in what you find/do. Keep us posted.

I got a brief chance to test this mod yesterday, and it does NOT do what I was hoping it would. I still can't left-foot break in 4L. I only drove for 15 min, so I don't have a good feeling for what the mod does, but the nanny throttle is still there...
While that may be something you would want to do, the point of the mod is to disable ABS, for instances when the ABS slows braking times on loose terrain like gravel and snow. Some people also like it disables traction control for twist and turns but that’s not the intended point, just a bonus for said people. The EBD or whatever Nissan calls it now is supposed to automatically do the left foot braking for you much more efficiently to stop (or attempt to stop) a spinning wheel so torque can be put to the wheel with traction. I know a lot of older rigs without traction control and archaic limited slips where this technique is useful, but it shouldn’t be necessary on your Xterra, unless you really want to take things back to basics.

Being a manual, the EBD system is helpful for the front wheel traction on inclines where there is no way to depress the clutch, hit the gas and the brake all at the same time. It also means I don’t have to use the rear locker as often, again nice in the tight turns.

·
NewX’er 4life
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
^ True, especially on models that have hill start and descent control.

I'm going to jump off your thread @PhullD and start a new one so I don't threadjack and clutter this one up a completely different mod (any further!). :grin:
Was helpful info though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does this mod work for all years?

How does the TC differ between years on the X?

Edit: finally took it offroad. I don’t have TC on my 2010 Gcc spec X. Even checked on dirt in 2wd and it holds long skids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
on line
29 Posts
I have read through the whole thread and I am still not clear on what this mod changes. I have a 14 pro4x. I want to stop it from cutting throttle on me when I am in 4lo crossing something like a snow drift at 12k feet on our local trails. The x currently will cut power and cause me to slide with the camber which is typically toward a very large cliff face. Will this mod allow me to retain full throttle control with no nanny cutting my power application in 4lo?

·
NewX’er 4life
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
The mod cuts ABS so it doesn’t take a mile to stop on snow/gravel (must pump your brakes like old cars), but not the ABLS. The mod also turns off VDC and will allow the wheels to spin freely. However, in 4L, traction control is already disabled, so it is the ABLS cutting power on the spinning wheel to grab traction under low throttle. This will not be the reason you are sliding sideways, the reason for the rear sliding is you are giving it too much throttle and the wheels are spinning causing the rear end to slide out. Even with the locker on this will happen and it will happen with all 4x4’s. I suggest snow chains or studded tires (even better winter tires with chains or studs) if this is the terrain you are taking it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Great mod! cant believe it took this long. Turns my truck into beast mode(atleast in the snow) only tested a couple times but works great
heres my picture. I didnt need to unplug the harness I just spit it and tapped into the brown wire using this normally closed mommetarty switch.
Mounted it right next to the parking brake pointing towards the driver
Edit: The plug is very difficult to remove. You can actually see the broken top tab in the pic. Just split the harness and be done

121 - 140 of 172 Posts