Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

How-to: 2005 OEM Foglight Install (UPDATED for ShrockWorks Bumper) - PBR

164K views 210 replies 110 participants last post by  Verdict_Reign 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
UPDATE (11/21/2009): Wow, I didn't know this thread was still alive. I've been off of this forum for a while tending to my family (3 kids!). I re-logged on to photobucket.com and I hope the pictures are showing up.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Make sure you read Post #64 or #65. Some members found a better way to Mount the Fogs to the Bumper. Mines are still solid and holding, but it seems like they found a better method and it makes sense. Thanks guys for helping out the community!

POWERPOINT HOW-TO FORMAT: Look for Post #136 for cleaner pictures and a more concise 'How-to' on the Fog Light install and a downloadable pptx file. Thanks Kolia!

Here is my small contribution to the Xterra community:

Step 1: I ordered my "Kit" from yournissanparts.com, (does not exist anymore... Try Cherry Hill Nissan... Also I believe that the kit is different for the 2009 models), because it's the best price I could find and plus they include mounting hardware. This is what you get:

There is no right or left specific fog-light. The green clips will determine which side will be which.

Step 2: If you have time, take off the whole bumper and access will be a lot easier, but if you are pressed for time and/or lazy like me, take out the following screws and "pull back" the plastic flaps to gain access to the back of the bumper and the fog-light area.

(Note: There is another screw to the right of this one, forgot to capture it in the image.)

(Note: I found it easier to turn the wheel to the far left or right depending on which side you are working on.)

Step 3: Reach in and push on the tabs holding the Fog Light Cover in. This is the back of cover.

Step 4: Next put the Green clips in. For the Passenger Side, put the clip on the left side, (if looking at the light), and put the other clip on the right side for the Driver Side. Slide the bolt holder on the right side, (passenger side), and the left side on the Driver Side.

Step 5: This is a shot of the Passenger Side. The larger tab on top is where the bolt will be going through. A tab on the Fog Light Housing should fit into the lower tab in the picture.

Step 6: This is a shot of where the tab will go into the Green clip. Sorry not the greatest shot.

Step 7: This is the Fog Light installed with the Harness connected. The Harness is taped up above the hole.

Step 8: Next, place bolt in and screw down. The fit is already tight, but the bolt will really secure it. You can try to just hand tighten it, but try to use a socket, (10mm), to secure it. Not a whole lot of room, but a small socket and small hands, (I had a hard time because I have big hands), will work. I had an easier time on the Driver Side than the Passenger Side mainly because I was able to use my dominant hand, (right), on the Driver Side. Removing the Bumper will give you great access to screw the bolt down.

Step 9: Reinstall plastic pieces and do the same for the other side.

Step 10: Next is installation of the new Stalk. You have to remove this screw.

Step 11: Pull down firmly but gently... Just enough so you can pull apart the plastic pieces on the Steering Wheel.

Step 12: Next remove the following three screws from the Steering Wheel Housing.

Step 13: Pull apart the two pieces covering the Steering Wheel. Firm, but gently...

Step 14: There are two Black tabs holding the Stalk to the Steering Wheel Column. One above and one below. Press down and the Stalk pops off.

Step 15: Picture without the old Stalk.

Side Question1: There is a loose connector, (pictured)... Is this for the Steering Wheel Control for the Radio, if I had one?)

Step 16: Picture of the new Stalk installed, (just align and pop it in making sure tabs click)

Step 17: Reassemble the plastic pieces and you are done!

Hope this helps! Email me if you have any questions.

Side Question2: Anyone figure out which wire to tap in order for the Fog Lights to work independently of the Headlights?

UPDATE: Thanks to USMC XTERRA for the extra info below and picture for those of you with a SchrockWorks Bumper.

If you have fog lamps Now is the time. On the right you see a factory Fog Lamp. SHROCKWORKS provides the Ring on the bottom left and the bolts to secure. You need to remove 4 screws and dump that 'thingamagig' at the top #20, a Torx needed. Ok, Use the provided Spacer Ring, put it to the Bumper.... You THEN install Fog Lamp with the adjustment knob to the bottom of Bumper, Glass to front, then put bolts in with nuts to the rear, snug up nuts, use Blue thread-locker. I recommend removing Lamps with a twist, Don't Touch the Glass, but set aside, so if you whack em, your Lamps don't break. You can easily install Lamps after Bumper is mounted. DON'T touch the Glass! If you do, clean it with Alcohol to remove Oil from Skin.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the club. :wave: Thanks for posting up that great write up on how to do the install. I am looking forward to doing this one sometime later on.

#9 ·
are these good fog lights...
are they really bright...

#14 ·
#15 ·
USMC XTERRA said:
I mean how do they look on the road in comparrison to the factory bumper? i guess you will know soon. Anyone point me to a good deal on a factory fog light kit...POINT!

MC
Um, AC???
Just Kidding don't go ballistic!

I like how mine seem to work in the Shrockworks Bumper. Still light up the low area in front and slightly to the sides. Perfect for fog.

#17 ·
Spec X said:
woah, woah, woah... the wiring is already there on the S? Well that makes my day. Check's in the mail.
It is on most, you have to check for the plug about behind where the lights go. It is zip tied to the frame. Then order. Some S's don't have it.

MC

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
The corrected version.
If you are doing this on a SHROCKWORKS, Here are directions. I did this install After I installed bumper, NOT a good idea but possible. You have my permission to add to 1st post if you wish. If so I will delete this post.
MC

If you have fog lamps Now is the time. On the right you see a factory foglamp. SHROCKWORKS provides the ring on the bottom left and the bolts to secure. You need to remove 4 screws and dump that thingamagig at the top #20 Torx needed. Ok, Use the provided Spacer ring , put it to the bumper....You THEN install foglamp with the adjustment knob to the bottom of bumper, glass to front, then put bolts in with nuts to the rear, snug up nuts , use Blue threadlocker. I reccomend removing laps with a twisy, DON't Touch the glass but set aside so if you wack em, your lamps don't break. You can easily install lamps after bumper is mounted. DON'T touch the glass!
If you do, clean it with alcohol to remove oil from skin.

Yes Hard Core fellow X'er's! That IS MC's Creeper! A 100% All Natrual SHEEPSKIN RUG! I'm BUSTED!

G
#19 ·
Nope MC, you missed on this one... if you had to file yours down then it sounds like you put the ring on the outside of the light.

the mounting ring from shrock goes in between the light and the bumper, it is a spacer. no filing or alteration of the fog light is necessary.

#20 ·
dynamix said:
Nope MC, you missed on this one... if you had to file yours down then it sounds like you put the ring on the outside of the light.

the mounting ring from shrock goes in between the light and the bumper, it is a spacer. no filing or alteration of the fog light is necessary.
X2...we did no mods on my rings during install

#22 ·
Oh great Too bad someone did not do a write up on this one! Man you guys let me down! No wonder the bolts were so short! Ya mean I have to do it again? Yea, I get it. Mine sure did fit good. I wonder if I gotta re do it? Yea I guess I do. I did it as a bunch of home stuff was happening and with the bumper on, not a good idea. I hope I did not ruin anything! The directions with the bumper don't say much. Man I am ticked! I gotta do all that again! I used RED threadlocker! Oh well, I updated the directions. Other people will thank you. Thanks for reading and correcting.

Wishing someone did a write up.....in Ohio.....

MC

#24 ·
Muzikman said:
USMC XTERRA said:
I used RED threadlocker!
MC
Did ya assume you would never replace the lights? ;)
No I assumed I installed them right. Kinda hard to see and figure when you do it with the bumper on. I did look at SHROCKWORKS directions, Wasn't all that clear to me. (Did I miss something?)

I was out of Blue, Figured I was not taking them off since the bulbs come out easily. Only reason to remove is if you break one. (I might have)
But. Now that I have to re-do, Being that the ring is a spacer and not a clamp, I'll toast it off, and use silicone between the bumper and the spacer to prevent the contact of two metal surfaces from rusting.

Hope no one else makes this blunder! The top post has correct directions for other people. Something I wish I had at install time?????

I am going right home and going to have to take them off in parking lot at work in dark, gravel. I am afraid they will crack!! I THINK that is what the spacer is for now. Only thing I can think of. But I don't recall any grinding glass noise.

MC

#25 ·
If you are looking at the bumper it makes a lot more sense. I tried doing what you did but when it didn't fit I looked again and matched up the notches in the spacer. The person who was helping me asked why the spacer was not made in one piece and that is when I gave it good look to see how and why it was done the way it was. I am still not sure why jim didn't just tack weld the spacers on to make things easier on people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.