Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some thoughts... I've recently done a rad swap, PMF, replaced two bad variable timing solenoids, still dealing with a loud clunk that shakes the whole truck around turns, shaking steering wheel, weird grinding noise from the engine compartment when accelerating. Anyways the list goes on and on, and so does the list for my brothers X.

After reading through numerous posts about common quality problems, Radiator, timing chain guides, CATs etc. and Nissan doing nothing to correct these problems that seem so common, it got me wondering....

How reliable is the X/Nissan in general? What do you think?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
So you have an 8 to 9 year old vehicle that you've had to recently perform maintenance on, and you feel its unreliable?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not saying because of maintenance. I'm saying things like a design flaw in a radiator, timing chain guides, numerous people reporting their CATs going out. It seems to me that a company would realize some of these problems and make them right because they messed up. I've even seen a lot of threads about 2012's having problems that it seems like they should be having.

I'm not trying to start something I'm just really wondering, wanting to hear what other people think. There's no question that it's a capable truck and can do a many things but it seems like there is a lot of problems associated with it.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
If you keep up with your truck and follow all of the others' leads who have figured out the diff breather, tranny bypass, what fluids to use where and how often to change them, even lots of good how-to's for all kinds of stuff, then your X could last as long or longer than the guy with 300k on the clock. Sure the X might not be a lifetime maintenance free vehicle, but the community here really helps you prevent most of those problems or at least how to fix them.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
They did change the radiator design, once they knew it was a problem. SMOD takes a few years to develop so it wasn't known to be a bad design and once it was identified they changed it (2010 I believe). You can't fix an issue if you don't know it's broken yet.

I agree with jtzako, some X's will have more issues than others, but in general I would consider them reliable.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
If you keep up with your truck and follow all of the others' leads who have figured out the diff breather, tranny bypass, what fluids to use where and how often to change them, even lots of good how-to's for all kinds of stuff, then your X could last as long or longer than the guy with 300k on the clock. Sure the X might not be a lifetime maintenance free vehicle, but the community here really helps you prevent most of those problems or at least how to fix them.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ i totally agree this community has saved me hundreds of dollars and don't get me wrong, when the X is working i love it. I was thinking maybe this is a rig that you buy and expect to be wrenching on it all the time and i understand the more abuse you put it through the more you're going to fix on it. I guess that's part of the problem buying one uses. Though I keep up all the maintenance now, I don't know what the guy before me did. Just seeing what other people think.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Believe me, it's been a reliable truck for me! I had an 02 Mustang with the same mileage and I had one month that I literally took it to the shop every other week. The drivetrain in that car was indestructible but it achieved it by having lots of little plastic parts that broke all the time. I've had one fuel system recall done on mine. That's it. With the same mileage as that Mustang...

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
^^ i totally agree this community has saved me hundreds of dollars and don't get me wrong, when the X is working i love it. I was thinking maybe this is a rig that you buy and expect to be wrenching on it all the time and i understand the more abuse you put it through the more you're going to fix on it. I guess that's part of the problem buying one uses. Though I keep up all the maintenance now, I don't know what the guy before me did. Just seeing what other people think.
This. You bought an older user vehicle. The X is no worse or no better than most 8 to 9 year old trucks - that had an unknown life prior to you. It, or any older SUV, is not going to be without needs for repair and service.

At least you are taking the necessary steps with it, and coming here for advice / pre-addressing concerns.

I had a 1998 Jeep ZJ that I was 9 years old when I bought it used. The more I worked on it, I realized it did not have an easy life. Did I go on the Jeep board and say that I had to fix it all the time and that it was an unreliable POS? Ok maybe a little - but comeon man, its almost a 10 year old SUV that you bought used. What were you expecting? Oil changes and tires?

Like others have said, every individual vehicle has its issues - its especially dependent on how well it was taken care of.

Also take the posts on any board with a grain of salt when forming an 'overall' opinion on any vehicle. You have a small vocal sample size.

Almost 65,000 Xterras were sold in 2006. http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/nissan-xterra-sales-figures.html

8 MY2006 Xterras on here have reported SMOD issues...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Think of all the Xterra owners out there that are not on this forum. Then remind yourself that a lot of people join this forum because they are looking to fix a problem. So problems/complaints will seem to be larger here.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have an 05 that I replaced the rad to be safe. Nothing else other than oil changes and new tires. 94k on the clock and still ticking...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
my truck has been very reliable and i expect it to continue to be reliable. I perform regular maintenance on it and I stay on top of everything. Thats really all you need to do.

A little off topic, my other car is a 2002 nissan sentra se-r spec-v. There were a few known issues with that car as well, just like the xterras. One of them was that if driven hard, the pre-cat would break up, and bits of it would get sucked into the cylinders, score the cylinder walls, and the engine would consume oil, smoke and end up destroying itself. Knowing about this issue, I replaced the stock exhaust manifold with a header that did not have a cat in it, and I have driven the car HARD for 100k miles (it now has 143k miles on it) and it still drives great and has damn near perfect compression. This is just an example of knowing about an issue and being proactive about it and maintaing said vehicle.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
My 08 has 110,000. I changed the rad pre-emptively but didn't have an issue. I am on the third fan belt tensioner pulley, and they fixed a small rust problem behind the rear window gasket during warranty. Beyond that - no problems.

Every vehicle has problems on a new design. The rad was an issue and fixed somewhere recently. I think Nissan really wimped out on that one. The issue with the timing chains was dealt with via a design change at some point, not sure when but have had no issues with my 08. There were a couple other issues early - thinking a relay of some sort.

I would say the Xterra is about average for a truck. Its also one of the cheapest full frame, real 4wd's on the market.

·
on line
610 Posts
My 2006 has 135k on it, I fiddled with the suspension, body lift, larger tires, etc. I've had several problems with the vehicle, evap canister, timing chain, fuel sending unit, ujoints, wheel bearings, etc. Overall I would rank the trucks reliability as average to maybe a little above average, I think there are better out there, and I think there's worse. I don't think I would buy a Nissan truck/suv next time around. I do like the look of the new Sentras.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I would go so far as to say that the Xterra has been very reliable after the first few model years. I'm only at 60k miles, but I've had zero issues with my 2010. The only things that I have replaced are wear items (a battery, a set of tires, oil and filters, and an in cabin air filter). I was a little bit disappointed in the battery life...

·
on line
460 Posts
Reliability

we have a 2006 S model that was put into operation in 2/07.... we now have 160K on it and the only problems we have had have been a blown front diff at about 14K, the standard FST failure at 40K and a camshaft position sensor(?) at 125K... we blew the diff at the Hungry Valley Off-Road Park in Southern California while trying to cross a gulley in their practice area... managed to limp the 150 miles home with it making a God-awful noise... Nissan fixed it under warranty... we drove for 4 years with the Check Engine light on and a wacky fuel gauge until Nissan finally agreed to fix it at 125K... the sensor failure happened on our way to goneMOAB 11... our X started running rough on the highway and when we stopped it was difficult to restart... limped into Nissan of Bakersfield on a busy Friday afternoon and they immediately diagnosed it and got us back on the road to Utah in less than 4 hours.. we have taken it off-road all over California and been to Utah for goneMOAB twice... it is my daily driver and still gets 15 MPG day in and day out even with a 2" lift and full skids

1 - 20 of 32 Posts