Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get a lift on the X. That means realign the front end. Cool. I look under her and see non-adjustable cambolts. Lame. I order new bolts and get them installed today with an adjustment. X looks great. I look at the invoice. $117. WTF? That's $28 for each. It requiered 4 bolts. Am I retarded? I was thinking $30 for the set. Guy tells me that they are $56 a piece, " but for you I give great price".

So, did I just get screwed? No pun intended. That seems like a lot for some bolts. Please fill me in on what I am missing here.

Aside from price, the X rides so much better without the taco shape going on in the front. \ /

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I just asked my Dealer today, he said free. But I know him personally, but, I hate to put him on the spot, he felt all dealers should warranty them. I wonder if dealers are double dipping on that? Nissan gives em to them and they sell em to you? MC

·
on line
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had gone for the alignment so naturally ordered the bolts from the alignment guys. They didnt charge labor since I paid it once. These are guys that I have gone to a bunch and thought I trusted. I was thinking of getting my tires from them....

My dealer is in CO so no dice there. Lesson learned. Ask the question here first.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
AORX,
That's the same amount my dealership tried to charge me.

Long story-short, you can buy the set at Your Nissan Parts.com for $53.99, plus we get a discount from them for being part of these forums. Use "TheNewX" upon checkout and watch your price drop.

Sounds like you already got shafted though... :(

·
on line
131 Posts
A certain dealer back in Baton Rouge wanted to charge me for the bolts, too. Even after showing the parts dept. the TSB, they said that they were "recommended, not required" to be on the vehicle and that they would not replace for free. I ended up buying them from yournissanparts.com after I moved and put my lift on. I felt as though they were trying to pull one over on me, too. :ky:

·
on line
641 Posts
What I've been told is that the dealership only supplies them "for free" as part of an alignment, but, the cost of the alignment is about the same cost(or even less) than buying the bolts from the parts counter.

However, I've also been told that there are ways for a dealership to do an alignment under warranty, and that if that is done, you won't pay for either the alignment or the bolts. I'm not sure of the specifics for how you might get this done, and there was some indication that it is only possible when the mileage is fairly low(12,000km might have been mentioned).

·
on line
564 Posts
dpatton said:
... I've also been told that there are ways for a dealership to do an alignment under warranty, and that if that is done, you won't pay for either the alignment or the bolts. I'm not sure of the specifics for how you might get this done...
I've had alignments done on several new vehicles before. All I did was take the car back and complain about it pulling to one side. I guess once they get the vehicle on the rack and check the specs it's usually out a hair, so they align it. It worked on two other vehicles, I might try it with the X.

Rob

·
on line
3,484 Posts
dpatton said:
What I've been told is that the dealership only supplies them "for free" as part of an alignment, but, the cost of the alignment is about the same cost(or even less) than buying the bolts from the parts counter.
However, I've also been told that there are ways for a dealership to do an alignment under warranty, and that if that is done, you won't pay for either the alignment or the bolts. I'm not sure of the specifics for how you might get this done, and there was some indication that it is only possible when the mileage is fairly low(12,000km might have been mentioned).
Well they tell me same thing under 12k it's under adjustments. But still you think they can get it done under TSB. I think dealers are ripping people off and maybe NISSAN is not aware of it. If no one says anything they never will.

·
on line
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Set of 2 or set of 4? Looking at the truck it takes 4. If $50 for 4 then I just bent over for these guys.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Can someone post a link for the TSB that deals w/ the camber bolts and alignment? I had my oil changed the other day at the dealer and happened to mention the TSB and asked about having the adjustable bolts installed. The guy wanted to know why I wanted it done. I told him that the truck felt out alignment, pulling, shaky steering wheel, etc. and he told me that wouldn't have anything to do with the camber and as such, no point in replacing w/ adjustable bolts. I then showed him my tires which were muddy from off roading a few days earlier. I pointed to the outside edges which had worn off the mud and told him that they were wearing too quickly with that much positive camber. He agreed, but refused to do anything about it w/o first having me bring it in again and have them try this and that first (ie: jack me around enough til I give up). I figured asking for the bolts to be installed should have been all that was needed. Anybody had any luck w/ their dealer and how did you get them to do the replacement? MC's solution (loosen the bolts, drive around, tighten and cover w/ dirt to look untampered with) might fly, but will probably require me to take the truck to the stealership a couple of times before they give in.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
As much as all this sucks I can see Nissan's side. It all boils down to the fact that the bolts are NOT needed to get proper alignment with STOCK suspension.
I took the TSB to my dealer and they said NO.
Even if I screwed around with the alignment myself and tell them it's messed up; they can throw it on the rack and will get it back in spec since I have stock suspension therefore proving I still don't need them.
I'll say it again, this sucks, but is an extra $50 too much to pay if you're already dishing out the cash for a lift that's gonna require an alignment anyway.
:drunken:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts