Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm corresponding with Hinrik from Arctic Trucks. I want to get an idea on what some of you guys would be willing to pay for a complete bolt in d44 ifs assembly including locker, gears..etc. Also would there be an interest for the above minus locker and gears. I figure a fair price for a complete bolt in assembly would be 4-5 g's and about 2500-3000 for the housing and axles. Another option is purchasing pre-cut axles and having your own housing fabbed as it sounds like mad4wd has that handled minus the axles, so I'm sure if you got your axles from AT and shipped them there they might be able to take care of you.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
The only way I would buy this, is if they came out with a gear set for the rears as well (C200) to match. If they did that then I would be willing to pay in the $4500 range.

·
on line
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. If all you needed is new gears why would AT waste their time building a diff in the first place.

·
on line
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sexterra, can you find a d44 gear set that matches your c200?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
We would need some specs.

W/ ARB locker, gears, housing and drop-in install. I would pay up to about $3000

If it comes with new half shafts, $3500

If it comes with manual hubs, $4500 (yeah, I know, not part of the diff...but I really want them :) )

·
on line
230 Posts
I would say 3,000 or below. At 3,000 + shipping + install labor we are talking a 4-5K project.
Say the out the door price is oh, 4,500.00. Then the total cost would approach 6K+. At that price I could step up to a much better SAS for a couple of K more.
Thats what this is really ALL about. Choice 1: Replace the entire Nissan junk front end with a properly designed IFS set up with some off-road performance gains. Choice 2: Super reliable and tough SAS and extreme off-road improvement. Cost being the biggest factor for most.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Problem is, a good front axle will run you $2500 without even thinking about it. So your, couple K more for a "Super Reliable and tough SAS" is not a reality. Ask Pony and Steve what they paid in just parts for their SAS.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
I thought that somebody had already contacted Arctic Trucks, and that it was going to be upwards of $6K (plus shipping) for the diffs. And I'm not sure I would say "bolt-in," the sub-frame has to be cut from what we were told.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
OregonX said:
I thought that somebody had already contacted Arctic Trucks, and that it was going to be upwards of $6K (plus shipping) for the diffs. And I'm not sure I would say "bolt-in," the sub-frame has to be cut from what we were told.
Well I hope it would just bolt in for me... No way am I going to start hacking up my drop down brackets.

·
on line
735 Posts
I'd pay for factory parts from a later model year or if possible or titan pieces (not possible keeping the same wheel trac), but I'm not yet willing to go exotic unless somebody cam along with a relatively universal part like an atlas transfer case that could adapt to anything with the right axle spline adapters.

hell..why don't we band together to get Advanced Adapters to make universal rugged ifs front drive. Their stuff is first rate. I had an Atlas II 3.8 in my jeep and that thing never needed anything. It ran like the energizer bunny and never leaked a drop.

·
on line
735 Posts
I'm just the idea guy, not the ball-rolling guy, but if you could make it universal enough to cross-pollenate over to toyota land, then it would be a hit. I think the other makes front diffs are adequate and this could be a tough sell.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I agree that the price is stiff but that is going to be the case with anything that just starts to catch on (one-off pieces are always super expensive). Plus I really want to keep my IFS. Remember this is my daily driver as well as my trail rig.

Hey d1978 keep us posted. Im going back to work for a month so I probably wont be available untill Dec. 20th, but if you need someone who is extremely interested in this.... Im your man! Get the damn ball rolling!

Im going to post this over on Club Frontier.

·
on line
2 Posts
Hey guys some of you know me. I was working with mad4wd to release just this kind of drop in diff. The project originally started because hirik refused to sell me a diff. however mad4wd has dropped the project because they dont think they can do it and sell enough of them. They already have a plan if you guys REALLY want one i can contact them again and see if they will restart the project. Be aware that the d44 from norway is approximatly 6k+ shipping oversease. So if anyone need info on this let me know.

for what its worth im 99.9999% ive given up on this project and decided to go back to my original SAS plan.

·
on line
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There's an Atlas tc in project X2 complete with Tom Wood's shafts.

·
on line
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nj05nismo, see what mad 4wd says. Either way I'm getting one from somewhere, but if Mad is still interested I'm sure I can get the axles from Norway.

·
on line
2 Posts
the problem isnt the driveshafts but the CV's. on the drivers side the CV has to be inserted directly into the diff. so you need a custom 30 spline CV on that side. the easiest thing to do would be to make a new inner part that replaces the splined part.

i suspect i would need more than one person...i had about 6 people who were interested before. Part of the reason they dropped the project was they didnt have deposits (they didnt want any). ill talk to them and see if they are willing to sell the diffs without the CV's. if someone wants to check with hinrik to see if he wants to sell just the cv parts that would work..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts