Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear driver's side wheel is now squeaking, or I should say screeching, and I suspect it's a seized caliper. In any case, the rear wheels are due for a major brake job as the calipers, rotors, and backing plates (also known as brake dust shields) are completely rusted out.

I started researching replacement of the backing plates and wasn't able to find anything super informative on here or on youtube/google specifically pertaining to the X. From what I've been able to gather online and from the Factory Service Manual (FSM), it looks like the axle shaft needs to be pulled out in order to replace the backing plate. The FSM also states that once the axle shaft is pulled out several components including the axle bearing and seal need to be replaced and cannot be re-used.

I'm starting to get the impression that this is not going to be an easy job and was wondering if anyone has had experience with this and if they have any recommendations. I'm debating just taking it to a shop and having them do it. Then I'll just do any future brake jobs myself that won't involve replacing the backing plates and pulling out the axle shafts.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
1,021 Posts
Yes it's a huge PITA for a dust shield.
FWIW mine have rusted and crumbled away years ago.
Personally I wouldn't go through all that just to change the dust shield unless I was in there already to change the bearing. And at over $100 a pop, I still probably wouldn't.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts