Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Long time reader but first time posting to this forum.

I currently own a 2007 Xterra. I am considering purchasing a 2014 Xterra Pro (56K miles). I live in the South and the X is in Wisconsin. The dealer sent me pics of the undercarriage and I'm needing some advice on the amount of rust. We don't get much snow where I live so salt is usually not an issue in the winter. I know coming from a Northern state there will be some rust on the undercarriage, but I have no idea how much is too much.

I'm flying up next week to test drive. What is your opinion of the pics below regarding the amount of rust? Yea or nay?

Thanks for your help.

Allen.

image0000 (1).jpg image0000 (2).jpg image0000 (3).jpg image0000 (4).jpg image0000 (5).jpg image0000 (6).jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,111 Posts
If you are searching that far and wide I’d recommend passing on this one. (Unless the price is amazing.) You will have some work to do on that much rust.

Be patient and keep looking. Focus on Western States. If you are willing to fly up to CheeseLand then it’s not much of a stretch to go out to the Sand.

Reactions: Allen1972

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I mean, it looks like surface rust to me. I wouldn't think twice about it. But the exhaust does look a little rough.

·
Registered
2010 Red Brick Off-road AT
22 Posts
I bought one that’s much worse. The dealer hid it well but it was my fault for not asking for undercarriage photos. That being said it’s still surface rust and my buddy has a lift. I figure I can knock it out with POR15 and some paint over a weekend. Your X looks very manageable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd say it has the expected amount of rust on a 2014 Nissan living in a midwestern, salty environment. Too much rust to be structurally unsound? Certainly not since it is mostly surface rust. Enough rust to make removing some nuts and bolts annoying? Yes.

In my experience, the spare tire wheel rusts the fastest on the Xterra. The control arms, steering knuckle and cross members rust slower than the spare wheel. The frame rusts even slower than the control arms, steering knuckle and cross members. The sway bars? Those don't seem to rust much at all. The Nissan sway bar supplier is on the ball...(y)

Xterra Rust-O-Meter Rust Rates:
Spare Wheel >> Control Arms/Cross Members >> Frame

If you get tired of looking at the rust like I did, then you can coat the outside of the frame with POR-15 as mentioned above, and the inside of the frame with Eastwood Internal Chassis rust encapsulator. The rust-prone replaceable parts (control arms, spare, etc..), can be replaced if desired.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I agree with most everyone else, that isnt that bad at all. most of the parts that appear to be rusty are ones that will eventually be replaced or can be replaced easily like the control arms. also yeah i would try to remove as much rust as possible and then coat it with a rust preventing paint or chemical.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's not bad at all. I live in Maryland. That's mostly surface rust. You could wire brush it if you wanted to and/or just spray rust reformer on the frame members or parts you won't be replacing anytime soon. I have a 1996 F250 that makes this thing look brand new.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That looks no worse than my X or Frontier (a 15 & 14). Pressurewash it off real good, and hit it all with Chassis Saver or similar rust converter paint (just no rattlecans).
Also be sure to flush out and pressurewash out the insides of the framerails, hit them with a few cans of Eastwood inner frame coating, then FluidFilm/Krown/NHOilUndercoating/ or whatever you like, to prevent any further rust Inside the frame.
Folk that say its alot of rust live in fortunately salt free regions.
That said, how long have you been looking and why haven't you found any nearby to you?
But, yes, the current used car market is insane and I wouldn't turn my nose up at something in decent condition... You can always fix it up a bit, and if you find better closer to you afterwards, flip this one...

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your comments, suggestions, and expertise. It's greatly appreciated.

I decided to go with my gut feeling and pass on the X from Wisconsin. I found a 2015 X Pro-4 locally and ended up purchasing it. It's a year newer and no rust!! Going to pick it up in about an hour.

Appreciate all your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts