Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
on line
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've gathered up all the goodies for my new '07 OR X....Volant CAI, headers, exhaust, sliders/skids,....etc etc etc. It's all en route and going to be installed shortly.

The original plan was to install a Daystar 2" lift and cam bolts. For some reason, I'm now on the fence about it - I guess because A) I'll certainly be wheeling but not gnarly boulder crawling, B) I kind of hate the idea of taking things out of factory geometry (damn UCA contact issue), C) I don't plan on fitting larger tires, and D) this is an everyday multi-purpose vehicle (I want to make it a bit more wheeling-worthy but not a daily pain in the ass), and E) I was considering the lift for functional reasons, I don't really care about the aesthetics.

So, for those that have just a couple inches of lift, how much has it helped with you X's wheeling prowess? Were you having trouble with the factory ground clearance (too low, getting high-centered or anything)? How did it affect driveability and handling all around? Recommend it?

Thanks fellas, I'm decided on everything else and almost there...your reward will be another sweet X in the fold (with pics, of course).

:geek:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The way I look at it, every faction of an inch counts when wheeling.

That being said, if your idea of off-roading is unimproved dirt access roads, then no, lifting will not do much.

·
on line
704 Posts
I don't think that you will upset the factory geometry by that much. Any 2-3" lift should be okay.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I think the times I've banged my rock sliders could have been prevented with a couple inches of lift. My brother has a stock LR Discovery, and when we were in Moab, he didn't touch his sliders because he has a few more inches of clearance under them, where I hit mine quite a bit. Heck, there is only 12" clearance from the bottom on the rock slider to the ground... that ain't much! Another reason to consider the lift is for sake of the rear bottoming out; that just plain gets old to have the rear axle smash into the bumpstops over any decent sized bump.

The X does do great in moderate offroad settings with the stock set-up, though, so I certainly wouldn't call it a necessity.

·
on line
298 Posts
Rocky mtn said what I would have had I not read his post. So hows that go? "x3"

The on road worthiness has not been hurt at all. And UCA is not really so bad. Mine pretty much stopped.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
x4. The UCA contact that I have is barely noticeable unless I am really pushing it offroad, where the rearend would bottom out on the street quite often and drive me crazy. With my lift, you can barely tell anything was changed, unless its parked up next to a factory X. I went to 265's and could not be happier.

·
on line
628 Posts
Cam Bolts are for the front. They are needed (heavily recommended) to perform the alignment correctly after installing a lift.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
DBAX said:
Jolly, you may be thinking shims.. Cam bolts have nada to do w/ the rear suspension. :)
Yup, I just read and see what cam bolts really are... I went into my garage armed with my flashlight to try and tell if I have them; well my batteries are dead!

It looks like there are 2 washers on it, so I can't tell if I have 'em or not. If I do need them, will an alignment shop have them or do I need to get them from somewhere like purenissan.com?

·
on line
1,045 Posts
DBAX said:
"do I need to get them from somewhere like purenissan.com?"

yup
$#*!
If I post a pic, can someone look and tell for srue if I need 'em, or should I just go ahead and buy them?
I guess if I have 'em and don't need 'em then at least I'll have a set in Colorado for someone else...

·
on line
298 Posts
Post it up. The cam bolts have marker lines on the washer, the standard bolts do not. but if its an 07, I'm nearly certain it doesnt have cams.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
avizpls said:
Post it up. The cam bolts have marker lines on the washer, the standard bolts do not. but if its an 07, I'm nearly certain it doesnt have cams.
I looked at some wheelin' pics form last weekend and I can see the front of the bolt... that being said, it seams the nut is on the front side. Which side does the funky washer go on, the front or back?

Here is a zoom'd in pic:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts