Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
on line
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few threads on brakes lately, but out of curiosity, how many miles did you get out of your stock pads before your changed them out?

I'm just put on 285/75/16s, and I now feel like I'm driving my old chevy w/ the drum brakes! My stopping distances stink!

Has anyone added just the stainless brake lines and found a decrease in stopping distance, or do I need to do pads and all?

Thanks.

·
on line
735 Posts
I've tried what you are describing with my old jeep. going from 30 inch tires to high ply thick-walled 33's just plain overworks the stock brake diameter. The xterra brakes are quite decent compared to those, but you can't expect it to feel the same unless you get bigger rotors and calipers. There is no mod short of total brake replacement. a 1" wider and taller tire is still an acceptable trade off, but I wouldn't run 35" tires on the stock brakes. you'll get used to it soon and start stopping sooner or driving slower.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Brake pads will wear faster/slower depending on driving style. I'm at 34K miles with a little over 50% left on the original pads.

I don't overuse my brakes, though. In town, I don't tailgate. Tailgating will inevitably lead to having to slam on the brakes to avoid a rear end collision. Also, I gear down when going down a steep grade instead of coasting and using my brakes.

·
on line
4,919 Posts
I'm at 45,000 mi with plenty of pad left (I do have an MT, though). On the weekends I put my big swampers on, I definately notice the difference in stopping distance. The only thing you can do besides upgrade pads/rotors is give yourself more space between you and whoever you're following. Stainless lines will give you a firmer pedal and a better feel for the brakes, but they won't really stop you that much quicker with the stock brake components.

My advice: if you want to stop quicker, go with the rotor/pad upgrade.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2005 Xterra 32' BFG MT's. I changed my front pads at about 75000 and am about to change my rear brake pads at 99,000.

Had it since new and rears havnt been changed yet

·
on line
975 Posts
Changed both sets out at 60,000

·
on line
845 Posts
Automatic or manual transmission? Big difference in how long your pads will last.

You can try EBC green pads but they will only last about 60 percent as long as normal pads based on my experience.

And if you REALLY want to stop, try the EBC yellow pads but you will be changing pads OFTEN.

Toy Man

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Had all my pads switched out for new ones at 10k miles. Ones i have now will probably last me well over 50k miles. Both sets are OEM.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
44k on originals and plenty o' pad left. I have an automatic....and drive conservatively

·
on line
155 Posts
I'm at 51k miles and I have 80% pad life left.

·
on line
3,171 Posts
I changed pads around 50,000. The rears were toast, but the fronts actually had some good tread left.
Forgot to take the park brake off a few times when you drove away? :laughing6:

Had new brakes since May and they still look at least 90%, but I gear down a lot (6-speed). Which I should stop doing, brakes are cheaper than a clutch :p I'm just used to my little much lighter VW

·
on line
264 Posts
i have 57,000 on my X and i have had to change the pads 3 or 4 times now. The first ones were shot at 5,000 then 15,000 then 30,000 and i just changed them again. this isn't my driving style because i am easy on the brakes just like everyone else. I feel that something is wrong but Nissan doesn't agree. just seems excessive

·
on line
10,980 Posts
irp88, sounds like there's something wrong with your brake system; or you're not being honest with yourself about your driving habits (though I'm inclined to take you at your word ... no reason not to) ... I'm sitting at 28k+ miles and haven't had to touch the pads once. I'd have to go back and look at my records; but as far as I remember, they've got plenty of meat left.

·
on line
186 Posts
46K on originals, but this reminds me I have a shake when braking, need to get the rotors turned. (auto)

·
on line
42 Posts
ha....im at 126,000 MILES on OEM, Factory pads, i have NEVER CHANGED the pads, the front have 3/8" and the lowest rear pad is 1/8"
i drive 100-200mi a day

brakes were shot at 5000? well....braking too slow and riding the brakes will cause the rotors to warp and the pads to glaze over. (makes it brake slower) you just need to either ride out the glazed surface and brake a little harder.
BUT if your pads were cracked, you need to change the pads.

I believe our brakes are inadequite for our larger tires/ rims
the stock tire/wheel weighted about 50lbs (30lbs tire BFG long trail, and 17" enkei rims ~20lbs) My hankook atm weights in at ~55lbs alone
keep in mind these are rotational masses, they f up moments of inertia.

i need some titan brakes~! another reason y i refuse to change my brakes

forgot to mention we're also increasing the DIA of the tires too= more stress on brakes

1 - 20 of 62 Posts