Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well, you have to determine that. I use Amsoil, and I determined that although it is rated at 25K before a change, I meet the severe service requirement so I have to change it at 15K miles. To me it's well worth it. Thats like once every 6 months or so, And I just took a trip that was so long I'd have to had stopped for an oil change. I notice better MPG and lower temp (Water) I use it and I will keep using it for sure. MC

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Synthetic is worth it. Just make sure its not a 'fake' synthetic.

You cant go wrong with Amsoil, Mobil 1 (full synthetic), or royal purple. I think there is another one.... red line or something... which seems to get pretty good comments.

·
on line
339 Posts
From everything i've read, Walmart's Supertech brand has their synthetic oil made by the Pennzoil/Quaker state group.....

It's a group III oil

ppl have reported paying ~$12 for 5 quarts but I haven't personally checked the prices yet.

·
on line
28 Posts
I drove an '88 hardbody 240k miles on mobil 1 and the only thing done was a valve job at 220k. The truck ran great, used less than 1 qt. of oil between changes and I traded it in when I got my '05.
Sometimes you'll find good deals for oil over at bitog. There is a section for sales and rebates on oil. That is how I found some Penz Platinum for $2.20 at Home Depot.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
amsoil here....i don't drive hard but i'm still planning to change at 15k, it was worth the extra cash if you calculate out three regular oil changes (at 5k miles) or one amsoil change (at 15-25k)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I use Mobile 1 and change every 5K.

I use OEM filters, though the last oil change I used a Nappa Gold (Wix) becuase the parts guy at the dealer gave me the wrong filter.

·
on line
331 Posts
1. Bring engine up to temp.
2. Remove drain Plug on oil pan
3. Remove skid plate cover, two bolts
4. Remove now exposed oil filter.
5. Re-install drain plug, with new washer.
6. Lube gasket with oil and install new filter
7. Pour in new oil.
8. Run engine for appox. 1 minute.
9. Check oil.

I change my oil every 5K with mobil one, so I also rotate my tires every change.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
juntao said:
Yeller_X said:
I use Mobil 1 and change every 5k
how hard is it to change your own oil? I'm thinking of switching to synthetic, but i don't wanna pay the dealer the big bucks for it.
Changing oil is simple.

-Drive vehicle until engine is up to operating temp.
-Park on a level surface.
-Chalk wheels.
-Open hood.
-Check Oil level (I do this just to see how dirty the oil looks and to make sure it's still full).
-Remove Oil Filler Cap.
-Climb under vehicle and find the oil drain bolt.
-Place a large drain pan on the ground under the plug (should hold at least 6 qts).
-Using a 14mm wrench, loosen the drain plug.
-Remove the plug by hand and be ready for the oil to come out. Oil might he hot, so be careful. Also it will come out quick, so be ready to reposition the drain pan if needed.
-While the oil is draining, remove the oil filter.
-Remove the front factory skid plate.
-Using an oil filter wrench, loosen the oil filter.
-Remove the filter by hand with the small container ready to catch the oil.
-As soon as the filter is off, tip it so the open end is up. This will keep as much oil in the filter and lessen the mess.
-Using a qulaity paper towel (or rag) wipe the dirt and oil off around the filter mount on the engine.
-Using a new bottle of oil, dip a clean finger in and then use the finger to spead the clean oil on the rubber gasket on the new filter.
-Put new filter on and hand tighten (it should be snug, but not over tight).
-Remove old crush washer from drain plug.
-Install new crush washer on the drain plug.
-Install drain plug and snug up with a wrench. Again, just snug, it doesn't have to be cranked on right. I am sure there is a torque spec for this, but I have bothered.
-Using a clean funnel, start filling the engine with the new oil.
-The engine take some where around 5 3/8 Qts. I usually check oil level at 5qts and then slowly add until full (no not over fill).
-Put oil filler cap back on.
-Start engine and check oil pressure.
-Clean up any mess.
-Done....

·
on line
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so you dont have to change the oil every 3000 mi instead every 10000 or 15000 that is awesome

1 - 20 of 52 Posts