Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my X now has about 2500 miles on it (MT OR). I've got most of my Shrock skids/sliders on, but am waiting to put on the engine/trans/t-case skids because I want to switch to Royal Purple synthetics before I do. But I'm weary about switching just yet.

Reason being, technically the engine and driveline gears are 'broken in' at 1200 miles, at least according to the manual. But most new engines don't fully break-in and hit their sweet spot until about 5000 miles. I imagine full work-hardening of the diff, t-case, and MT gears fully happens around the same time. I don't want to switch to all synthetics prematurely because in theory this could actually prevent a complete break-in of the bearings/rings/gears, in fact most sites don't recommend switching to full synthetics until sometime after 5000 miles.

What's your take on this?

·
on line
2,125 Posts
thats what i did. as soon as i bought mine that was first on the list of mods. bought mine used tho with 29,000 on the odo.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
I was going to switch at 3k on my first oil change, Dealer screwed up and put in regular, ended up switching to synthetic at 6.

·
on line
623 Posts
any performance or mpg improvements switching to synthetic? is it true that if you go synthetic, you can't switch back to conventional? i'm due for a change (~20,500 now) and am thinking about switching.
________
AdorableTeen

·
on line
471 Posts
We have another car (infiniti) with the same engine as the X. The engine really opened up around 5k, every mile after that was better gas mileage, seemingly better response/power etc. The X did the exact same thing even though I switched over to synthetic @ 3200 miles (mobil1).

·
on line
443 Posts
Why wait, it Might save a gallon or 2 a TANK, you can switch back and forth any time you want.

·
on line
432 Posts
I put in Mobile1 oil/filter and my K&N air filter at 506 miles. Would have done it sooner but I was way to busy driving around in my new toy that week. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts