Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 265's are starting to look significantly worn at 1 year and 15k miles.

Are the oem bfg rugged(street) trails soft tires, or does the weight and power of the new X combined with the positive camber short arm suspension lend to faster tire wear? I rotated once already..I'm going to guess these will only be good for 25k miles, maybe 30k if I try to get my money's worth.

anyways...I was already looking at putting away this years bonus money aside for some 265's later in the year or force fitting my 285's I have stacked up that I was going to use for my jeep when I can get another set of wheels.

if I do get 265's..I was thinking a 40k mile 10 ply tire (or at least load range D) in a durable road tread. Like maybe goodyear silent armor 10 plies, but not if they are going to be toast after 20000 miles.

For the higher mileage 2005's...Is anybody getting 40k miles on tires with these trucks?

·
on line
807 Posts
Generally OE tires are made of a softer rubber compound than the equivalent tire that you would buy at the tire store. BFG is notorious for this, they have about 5 different Rugged Trails, all with different tread patterns and rubber compounds.

It does not sound like you are rotating your tires enough. It is recommended that you rotate before every 5k miles.

Also, driving style has a ton to do with how long your tires will last. I drive "spirited" and have 23k miles on my Rugged Trails, currently I am at 2.5/32" at the center of the tires, and 3/32 at the outside of the tires. 2/32" is the legal limit to pass inspection.

Silent Armors will definitely get you more than 30k miles, but they are also extremely heavy, and kill your gas mileage, if that is a concern for you. I do not know if you are looking for an AT or a All-Season, but you cant go wrong with the BFG A/T, people get a ton of life out of them.

·
on line
160 Posts
Same thing here. I'm heading towards 16K miles, with two tire rotations and I'm guessing they're at their half life.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Wish mine would wear out sooner, can't warrant a new set until these are worn down and I'm at 18k miles

·
on line
109 Posts
we have almost 30,000 on the stock BFG Longtrail`s, even tho I don`t like them, they slip way to much in the turns when the road is wet. I rotate every 6,000 miles and keep`em aired up @ 36psi. I can see these tires going another 20,000 easy...PR...

Has anyone looked at the new Hankook tires yet?

·
on line
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I run them at 30-33 psi. I have 4x4 and drive local most of the time..the rotation occured at 8000 miles.

my fronts wear the outside due to the degree of positive camber. everybody elses wears the outside don't they? mine didn't track right set straight up (I tried).

·
on line
163 Posts
10k and mine were more than 50% gone.... but it only took 1 4x4 trip to put a bulge in them... so I nix them and got the BFGs I have now (12ply)

·
on line
187 Posts
i have 39k and still running. the tread is like a hair lash away from the "bald indicator though. i bought wrangler mt so we'll see how long that last. its all about driving style man. the yokohama es100's lasted me about 6k and NO i do not drift

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I have 22K and my rugged trails are shot. Hardly any tread left and I rotate a bunch. 4 times already.

Funny though because when I put maxspeed's sliders on he had the same mileage and his tires looked like they had 50% or more tread left on them.

·
on line
384 Posts
Pale Rider said:
we have almost 30,000 on the stock BFG Longtrail`s, even tho I don`t like them, they slip way to much in the turns when the road is wet. I rotate every 6,000 miles and keep`em aired up @ 36psi. I can see these tires going another 20,000 easy...
That is what I want to hear. The dealership I bought my X from will replace the tires at 40K and 80K for free. The Longtrails would not be my first choice, but if I'm not paying for tires, I will suffer through it.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Mine lasted 5k...then Discount Tire bought them back from me.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
The condition was that I got raped... I think I got $200 for 4 of them.

·
on line
2,540 Posts
Yeah I have 28k on mine and I'll be lucky to pass inspection in 2 months. Honestly I've only rotated them twice as I'm still torn on wheather or not rotating really increases the longivity of tires or not. I'v read some conflicting things on it.

I'm not upset about it because the sooner these wear out, the sooner I can get my BFG AT KO's. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts