Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a little trip to a local OHV spot in Gorman. This place does not have anything really technical but i tried to go up this one hill that has some loose dirt to one side and hardpack on the other. As i tried to climb the hill, the drivers side tire which was on the loose dirt just sat there spinning and all other three tires were on the ground. I thought our 4 wheel limited slip was supposed to correct this. I tried different techniques and even feathered the throttle to no avail. This is not the first time i noticed this. On a trip to Big Bear i got stuck with one wheel one a rock and the drivers side wheel in loose dirt. Same outcome! One wheel would spin and the other just sat there. My understanding of our 4 wheel limited slip was when one wheel starts to spin faster than the other the computer reads the data from some sort of speed sensor and applies brake pressure to the spinning wheel and directs power to the other wheel. If this is correct, this is not happening with my vehicle. Ive seen a video of one of the board members here taking a loose hill climb and both front wheels are working in sync. Is my truck messed up or something. If i bring it in, how are they supposed to test this kind of thing on dry pavement.

One another note, one of my buddies brought his 05 sport edition v8 4runner 4WD along and his A-TRAC performed flawlessly. I wish mine worked like his did. What the hell is wrong with my truck? Please help.
Here are the links to the X climbing. I believe its SEXterra's:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...806377585154248

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...758251515549384

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...595381672911241

By the way, I have a 06 4x4 S and i believe that the X in the video is the same model, just way more modified.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know. I tried to click on the links but it says page not found. Im trying. Try thishttp://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/31693-xterra-why-compare-fj-2.html

I know I know its an FJ website. My buddy has one so i check out both forums

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
on line
2,248 Posts
I would guess that your ABLS is ok. If one of your ABS sensors was malfunctioning it would likely trip a SLIP or ABS light on your dash.

The ABLS can be a little tricky at first. Usually when you feel a wheel(s) start to slip on one side, your natural reaction is give it more throttle, or let off the throttle and and back up a bit.

In my experience the ABLS takes a good 3-5 seconds to kick in. When you feel a wheel slipping you want to continue and give it light, steady throttle until you hear the ABS system pulsating the brakes. You'll hear it... it's loud. The ABLS system will make gradual adjustments based on the new wheel speed information once the system kicks in. So, make sure you continue to stay on the throttle, don't rev it or let off.

I've been in spots where I've come to a complete stop, for example, trying to do a muddy hill climb. But, staying on the throttle for a good 10-15 seconds allows the ABLS time to get me moving again. Usually the truck will lurch forward a few inches, then more and more as the system compensates for the new info from the wheel speed sensors. Don't be afraid to turn the front wheels while this is happening.

I've been in a few jams where my spotter sees the wheel spin (knowing it's an open diff) and tells me to let off the throttle and back up. There's been a couple of times I've told them to give me a few more seconds, and sure enough, the ABLS kicks in pulls me out of it (not all the time...).

I've seen A-Trac kick in on an FJ once when I was spotting for him. I told him to stay on the throttle and give it a chance to work (he didn't own it that long and that point and had not wheeled it much). It seemed to engage at about the same time that Nissan's system would.

Hope this helps you figure out what's going on.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
so is A-Trac toyota's ABLS?

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what would you consider a steady rpm to be at in these situations? I will admit that when the wheel started to spin, i just let off the throttle. Im hoping your technique is right as ill be heading up to the Pismo dunes sometime soon and that is just straight loose sand and nothing else to grab onto.

If my truck was messed up in any way, your saying that the slip lights and vdc lights would be going crazy on the dash right?

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe A-TRAC is their version of ABLS. Someone correct me if im wrong. Would there be anyway to make our ABLS come on sooner? Also, does brake pad thickness have anything to do with this? Last visit to the stealership they told be my fronts were at 50-60%.

·
on line
735 Posts
from what I have read, the toyota trac is a bit more agressive. That said, front ABLS with a rear locker is a pretty nice set-up.

·
on line
628 Posts
OregonX said:
I would guess that your ABLS is ok. If one of your ABS sensors was malfunctioning it would likely trip a SLIP or ABS light on your dash.

The ABLS can be a little tricky at first. Usually when you feel a wheel(s) start to slip on one side, your natural reaction is give it more throttle, or let off the throttle and and back up a bit.

In my experience the ABLS takes a good 3-5 seconds to kick in. When you feel a wheel slipping you want to continue and give it light, steady throttle until you hear the ABS system pulsating the brakes. You'll hear it... it's loud. The ABLS system will make gradual adjustments based on the new wheel speed information once the system kicks in. So, make sure you continue to stay on the throttle, don't rev it or let off.

I've been in spots where I've come to a complete stop, for example, trying to do a muddy hill climb. But, staying on the throttle for a good 10-15 seconds allows the ABLS time to get me moving again. Usually the truck will lurch forward a few inches, then more and more as the system compensates for the new info from the wheel speed sensors. Don't be afraid to turn the front wheels while this is happening.

I've been in a few jams where my spotter sees the wheel spin (knowing it's an open diff) and tells me to let off the throttle and back up. There's been a couple of times I've told them to give me a few more seconds, and sure enough, the ABLS kicks in pulls me out of it (not all the time...).

I've seen A-Trac kick in on an FJ once when I was spotting for him. I told him to stay on the throttle and give it a chance to work (he didn't own it that long and that point and had not wheeled it much). It seemed to engage at about the same time that Nissan's system would.

Hope this helps you figure out what's going on.
Sometimes I'll get myself in a situation and I'll hear a grinding sort of sound up front, is that the ABLS kicking in?

·
on line
1,667 Posts
xterra3100 said:
I believe A-TRAC is their version of ABLS. Someone correct me if im wrong. Would there be anyway to make our ABLS come on sooner? Also, does brake pad thickness have anything to do with this? Last visit to the stealership they told be my fronts were at 50-60%.
i wouldn't think your brake pads have anything to do with it because the pads are always touching the rotors, but good thought. Wouldnt hurt to ask a dealership but they would want to know why you are in 4wheel.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey SEXterra when you were climbing those hills and both wheels were spinning like that, were you hearing the ABLS at work? That is you right? If not, you have an identical twin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts