Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend is looking into buying a used 2005 X

He has decided he wants to get the Off Road model, but he brought up a point I hadn't thought of before - an OR model is perhaps more likely to have been driven off-road, and therefore might have more 'wear and tear' than a used X that was only driven to the mall.

Anyone have any ideas on how to tell if a used X has been driven off-road?

My thoughts so far:
1)
any info from the previous owner (e.g. "this thing is great when you want to go off-road!")
2)
any service records related to anything that was fixed/adjusted after going off-road
3)
scrapes/dents on the undercarriage, including on skidplates
4)
broken mudflaps, or if the mudflaps have been removed
5)
any accessories that have been added to the X that are intended for use only when off-road
6)
small stones in the sipes of the tires - this doesn't 'prove' off-road use, but may at least indicate use on gravel roads

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Just look at the underside. If it has scrapes on the; Rear diff, rear shock mounts, u-bolt hangers, or front LCA mounts. These are the first places to get banged up when wheeling and wouldn't get banged up at all on normal street driving.

If these are not banged up, I wouldn't care if it has seen dirt before as if it did it was mild at best and no need to worry about being abused (off-road).

·
on line
807 Posts
dry mud ontop of the gastank. No one ever cleans up there.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
As muzikamn says just look at the frame. My frame has scars. Especially the leaf spring and shock mounts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts