Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
probably a stupid question but i’m a noob. google results say some people cover certain areas then spray it down and others say you don’t need to cover anything. so is it bad if certain parts get wet?

·
Registered
100 Posts
My practice is as follows:

1) Make sure engine compartment is cool.
2) Spray everything down with a foaming engine degreaser
3) Wait 5-10 minutes
4) Hose everything down with low water pressure
5) Dry off the flat plastic parts of the engine bay with a towel
6) Optional step. If an air compressor is handy and you are feeling like an over achiever, blow out some of the crevices in the plastic

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Once a year, I will use an engine cleaner followed by a pump up sprayer filled with water.

Basically, the sprayer allows me to rinse what's needed without worry of getting water anywhere unneeded.

Whenever I'm in a cleaning mood I will spray the plastic under the hood with "Mothers VLR". This product works well to clean and enhance all the black plastic under your hood.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My practice is as follows:

1) Make sure engine compartment is cool.
2) Spray everything down with a foaming engine degreaser
3) Wait 5-10 minutes
4) Hose everything down with low water pressure
5) Dry off the flat plastic parts of the engine bay with a towel
6) Optional step. If an air compressor is handy and you are feeling like an over achiever, blow out some of the crevices in the plastic
can everything in there get wet?

·
Registered
208 Posts
What if its hot? other than some steam whats the drawback? seems like it might even help remove some of the caked on oil/etc.
I could see some cracked manifolds but then again those can get submerged without cracking. I have submerged mine several times. I know the common consensus is cool when using degreasers but I will spray the bay down with lower pressure hot... say after a day of wheeling in mud, stopping at a self serve car wash to get some mud off.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
so everything here can be sprayed?

https://imgur.com/gallery/Cg43gEx
I'd cover that cheesy air filter, but you already have a thread on that.

I'd also cover up the fuse boxes and battery terminals. You don't have to seal them but just something to avoid dousing them. Best thing might be to unhook the battery even.

I need to do this as well in the worst way. I'm going to wait until warmer weather though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so everything here can be sprayed?

https://imgur.com/gallery/Cg43gEx
I'd cover that cheesy air filter, but you already have a thread on that.

I'd also cover up the fuse boxes and battery terminals. You don't have to seal them but just something to avoid dousing them. Best thing might be to unhook the battery even.

I need to do this as well in the worst way. I'm going to wait until warmer weather though.
are the fuse boxes on the top left? what’s the metal thing in the top right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
Brunnie
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing