Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The two torx bolts that hold the lift gate striker/plate rattled entirely loose from their nuts after 10 miles of washboard roads. I have taken various plastic covers off, pulled the spare tire, but cannot figure out how to access the nuts to reset those bolts. Any help is much appreciated. 2009 XTerra Off Road.

IMG-0151.jpg

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Just to make sure I understand....
The striker plate loosened up?

AFAIK, the nuts are spot welded to the body. You would probably end up taking the rear bumper off and seeing if you could get to anything that way.
IF the striker isn't loose, then you need to adjust the strike mechanism on the hatch to tighten things up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brunnie, you understand correctly. I looked in there with a light and I can see that the welded nuts have broken loose and are rattling around in there.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Brunnie, you understand correctly. I looked in there with a light and I can see that the welded nuts have broken loose and are rattling around in there.
At this point I'm outta ideas. Maybe a body shop can give you a hint.

·
Professional Amateur Wanderer
559 Posts
You may have luck trying to pry up on the bolts and using a torx driver to spin the nuts free getting the catch free. Once that is done, install nutserts from the top side to allow you to fasten the catch back into place.

Not an endorsement, just an illustration of what can be used.

You can also skip the special tool and make your own

In case you can't get the busted old nuts out of the rear, see if you can fish them to a location where you can encapsulate them in RTV and kind of "glue" them somewhere that they won't rattle as you drive making a bunch of noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
LNXPenguin, Many thanks for this idea. I had not heard of nutserts before, I like not having to remove the bumper and start welding. I don't notice the rattle back there so no worries about that.

Just watched that video -- brilliant idea!

·
Professional Amateur Wanderer
559 Posts
I hope it works out for you. I have used nutserts to get me out of a jam a few times. Sure beats trying to get into a sealed part to weld in a nut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts