Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '08 S with stock diameter 31" tires. I'm going to need to replace them within the next few months and I think I know what I want but I'd like to hear some opinions.

The X is my daily driver, at the weekend it will be more of an overlander, finding out of the way camping and hunting spots, than a wheeler, however, there will probably be some wheeling weekends.

I am going to go with a larger tire, but should I stick with a 32" like the Pro-X, or is it worth going to a 33"? Whatever I buy I'll need 5, 33's would cost me about $240 extra but I can swallow that if it is really worth it.

So, how did switching to 33's from stock affect your mileage and would you go for 32's or 33's given my intended usage?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I lost about 2.5'ish mpgs hwy goin up to 33" MTs . But if better trail rated tires is what your looking for with out loosing too much then go with 32's in a AT terrain . AT tires get better mpgs over a MT . Also no need to run a heavy load range if you dont do heavy wheelin or towing .

Get a bully dog tuner and get those Mpgs back up

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with 275/70-16s, which are the same width as the 285/75-16 at 11.2", but are 31.2" tall. Great traction, awesome in sand, on rock, dirt, snow with no loss of power or mileage and they look meaty!
That's a size I hadn't considered, thank you.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Stay with the 31" - load C - more room for chains. Final drive ratio becomes higher with taller tires - I wish they had lower gears stock.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have 265/75r16 duratracs and 255/80r17 KM2s and I only see 1 MPG difference when I swap them. For overlanding + some wheeling, the extra 1/2" (or 3/4" some 32s are small) is worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm married, this may not be a good thing. :iconbiggrin:
Chicks are ALWAYS a good thing... nobody said you had to take 'em home with you. :D

I have always had 33 MTs on my X, and it seems to get about 13 in town, somewhat better on the highway, maybe like 16? Yeah, she's not gonna win any economy contests, but I can drive her up a mountain (and have...)

I'm loving the 285 75R16 Goodyear Kevlars I have right now. Mud tire with friendly street manners and not too much road noise.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Chicks are ALWAYS a good thing... nobody said you had to take 'em home with you. :D

I have always had 33 MTs on my X, and it seems to get about 13 in town, somewhat better on the highway, maybe like 16? Yeah, she's not gonna win any economy contests, but I can drive her up a mountain (and have...)

I'm loving the 285 75R16 Goodyear Kevlars I have right now. Mud tire with friendly street manners and not too much road noise.
This is my next tire.
Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar® (MT/R - Maximum Traction/Reinforced) is Goodyear's Off-Road Maximum Traction tire

In 35's of course...... :)

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I haven't done the actual math yet (keep forgetting when I refuel), but my trip computer is reporting 2mpg less than previously in the city (down to an average 10mpg from 12 with the Long Trails). I've seen it dip as low as 6 in the middle of rush hour.

Granted, my original tires were actually 30.6" and my 285/70/17 Duratracs are pretty much exactly 33" so there's a fair amount of accounting to do.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Don't forget that your speedo and odo are both going to be thrown off by the larger diameter tires and read too low.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Don't forget that your speedo and odo are both going to be thrown off by the larger diameter tires and read too low.
And my original tires are even smaller than what come on stock S/X/OR trims, so my odo and speedo were high before. That's why I haven't done the math yet :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
This is my next tire.
Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar® (MT/R - Maximum Traction/Reinforced) is Goodyear's Off-Road Maximum Traction tire

In 35's of course...... :)
Awesome tire! And 35s... :headbang:

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
just get the 33s. if you don't, you'll regret it a year from now and need to spend more money.

yes, your mpg's will go down. 1-2 is what I saw going from 265/75/r16's to 275/70/r18's. they are heavier and have a larger diameter. But they are SOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts