Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the X wheeling for a few days this past week. The transmission overheated pretty early on in the trip, the X went "KA-CHUNK", I stopped immediately.

Service light came on, 4x4 display showed it in 4HI even tho I was still in 2HI.

I used Bullydog to clear the code once it had cooled and all seemed fine.

On the last day, came down the mountain on a trail with a 7% grade and lots of water diversion bars. Like a 10 miles of widely spaced whoop-de-dos. No fun. Especially since I had the X in second gear to slow the descent and, when coming over the top of a whoop, it would "bump" into gear on the way down the other side. I'd gas it a little up the whoop, let off the gas when at the top and when it started down the other side of the whoop, I'd get a pretty good "bump".

I put it into first and did a slower descent with no issues. Figured that the overheat had degraded the fluid causing rough operation.

Got her home, did a poor man's flush on the trans. Got it all set up, took it out for a test spin. I'm lucky to have some dirt hills nearby, so ran it thru the gamut - all gears in 2HI, all gears 4HI, all gears 4LO.

Everything seemed to work okay EXCEPT - When I've stopped in 2HI, when I get started again, it now -bumps- into first gear. Once moving, it shifts smoothly, no troubles.:dontknow:

I've double checked fluid level, it's good.

I'm really hoping I'm not gonna have to buy a new transmission... Any thoughts or opinions on what my next move should be?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you bypassed? I don't think you need to be for a 2011 but worth asking. Are you going into limp mode around 275 degrees? How is the color of your ATF? Have you pulled the tranny fluid pan and checked for debris?
How is your t-case fluid?
What was the ODB code?
I was bypassed, but have now removed it. Service manager at the dealership, a really good dude who has never misled me, said it isn't necessary for the 2011 and might have contributed to the overheat…

Yep, 275 was the magic number and it did go into limp mode - after the initial 'bang' from the driveline at 30mph.

The fluid that came out during the flush looked used, but not necessarily completely cooked. Honestly, I expected worse.

Haven't yet pulled the tranny pan - was hoping the flush would sort things out. Heading back under today to pull the pan. fingers crossed the magnets will not have big chunks of metal attached to them!

I did all the fluids (both diffs, transfer and trans) about 12000 miles ago, so the transfer fluid should be good. I'll have a look at that next.

As far as the code, I don't know. We were headed to our camp at 230am in a rainstorm and I didn't think to make a note of it, just let the X cool long enough to clear the code and go on my merry way. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have logged it :violent1:

I read on a thread here that some have experienced a little slippage after performing the poor man's flush, but that it's disappeared after 100 miles or so of driving. Maybe air from the flush working through the system? :dontknow:

Thanks for any ideas...

·
on line
1,416 Posts
For clarification, you were monitoring the trans temperature with the Bullydog and weren't concerned when the trans temperature was still increasing after reaching 210F?

When you say "it bumps into 1st from a stop", is this the hill start assist? If not, have you tried to manually shift into 1st after a complete stop?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For clarification, you were monitoring the trans temperature with the Bullydog and weren't concerned when the trans temperature was still increasing after reaching 210F?

When you say "it bumps into 1st from a stop", is this the hill start assist? If not, have you tried to manually shift into 1st after a complete stop?

Jeff
I didn't notice the temp until it was too late, was just trying to keep my eyes open and stay on the road in the rain. Normally, I glance at the BD every few minutes but unfortunately, that was not the case that night so it overheated.

I'm getting some slip starting from a stop, on flat pavement. Stop the X, keeping it in D, when I start again there's slip. Meaning it doesn't start smoothly, there's a bump when the driveline engages. The harder I step on the gas, the higher the rev before it engages and the more violent a bump I get…

Does that sense? And it's the same if I shift down to 1st from a stop…

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
It's a 2011 - clean off any mud/dirt and TAKE TO DEALER. Why even bother trying to fix it yourself?

Took the X wheeling for a few days this past week. The transmission overheated pretty early on in the trip, the X went "KA-CHUNK", I stopped immediately.

Service light came on, 4x4 display showed it in 4HI even tho I was still in 2HI.

I used Bullydog to clear the code once it had cooled and all seemed fine.

On the last day, came down the mountain on a trail with a 7% grade and lots of water diversion bars. Like a 10 miles of widely spaced whoop-de-dos. No fun. Especially since I had the X in second gear to slow the descent and, when coming over the top of a whoop, it would "bump" into gear on the way down the other side. I'd gas it a little up the whoop, let off the gas when at the top and when it started down the other side of the whoop, I'd get a pretty good "bump".

I put it into first and did a slower descent with no issues. Figured that the overheat had degraded the fluid causing rough operation.

Got her home, did a poor man's flush on the trans. Got it all set up, took it out for a test spin. I'm lucky to have some dirt hills nearby, so ran it thru the gamut - all gears in 2HI, all gears 4HI, all gears 4LO.

Everything seemed to work okay EXCEPT - When I've stopped in 2HI, when I get started again, it now -bumps- into first gear. Once moving, it shifts smoothly, no troubles.:dontknow:

I've double checked fluid level, it's good.

I'm really hoping I'm not gonna have to buy a new transmission... Any thoughts or opinions on what my next move should be?

Thanks!!

·
on line
1,416 Posts
It's a 2011 - clean off any mud/dirt and TAKE TO DEALER. Why even bother trying to fix it yourself?
Because an unauthorized modification was made to a vehicle and the trans overheated. Why should the dealer or Nissan be responsible - Ethics 101.

To the OP, if the trans is slipping before starting to move then you probably have some significant damage. That sounds like the clutches are slipping at low rpm because of low pressure. There may be damaged seals.

Since it does the same when starting in 1st I suspect your description is slipping rather than downshifting. Sorry.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I had posted before I read that he had done that "bypass". I didnt think people with 2010-up did the bypass as it will mess with the warranty and Nissan supposedly fixed the SMOD . Adding a cooler is one thing- losing a cooler is no good

Because an unauthorized modification was made to a vehicle and the trans overheated. Why should the dealer or Nissan be responsible - Ethics 101.

To the OP, if the trans is slipping before starting to move then you probably have some significant damage. That sounds like the clutches are slipping at low rpm because of low pressure. There may be damaged seals.

Since it does the same when starting in 1st I suspect your description is slipping rather than downshifting. Sorry.

Jeff

·
on line
1,341 Posts
oh wow that's way too young of a truck to be having those issue's. I wish you luck with getting it fixed man, never a comforting feeling when having an problem with your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Resolved! (WHEW!!)

All -

Thanks for the advice. Issue seems to have resolved itself, which makes me a very happy dude.

I did go ahead and pull the tranny pan just to check for shavings. I was relieved to see that there was nothing there aside from what should be expected from a broken in tranny.

Went ahead and replaced the filter while I had the pan off.

Just to clarify on some earlier questions/comments - it's a 2011, but it's no longer under warranty - (have 74000 miles on it). I didn't do any engine or drivetrain mods until the warranty was up.

Agree with the earlier poster that if I had done the bypass while under warranty and the result had been a bad tranny, that would have been on me - I would not feel right holding Nissan responsible for my folly. That said, it's a non-issue with the warranty 14000 miles behind me!

Thanks again all - it's running smoothly (air in the system now worked thru???) and I'm keeping my fingers crossed this will continue for many thousands of miles.

:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I don't believe so, Nissan did a redesign on the rad internals. This was in 08 I believe and since then no smod on newer trucks.

·
on line
2,871 Posts
just to add to the "monitoring temp thing" on the bully dog, you can set it to make a noise when it reaches a certain temp. I have mine set to 215f for trans and 220 for coolant.

I figured that's the hottest its ever been and that was climbing the road up to mt mitchell a year or 3 ago in the summer.

I have not seen anything higher since, even going back to mitchell last fall.

so set your bully dog to sound off when it gets too hot!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just to add to the "monitoring temp thing" on the bully dog, you can set it to make a noise when it reaches a certain temp. I have mine set to 215f for trans and 220 for coolant.

I figured that's the hottest its ever been and that was climbing the road up to mt mitchell a year or 3 ago in the summer.

I have not seen anything higher since, even going back to mitchell last fall.

so set your bully dog to sound off when it gets too hot!
That's excellent advice, mate - thanks! I didn't realize this setting was available on my BD, but I've damned sure got it set up now!
Cheers!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Glad to see you've got it running well and there's no issues. As others mentioned its likely the by-pass (with no secondary cooler) contributed to the overheat condition.

The transmissions in these trucks are fairly robust (despite a previously poor cooling design) I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on it and continue using the X for what its meant for!

·
on line
306 Posts
If its a bump first thing starting out and it shifts fine otherwise, couldn't it be the torque converter instead? Perhaps a cheaper fix.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Glad the trans isn't dead....Holy cow 74K on a 2011.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts