Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's my issue: i have got the rockford fosgate package on my '07 so it comes with an 8" sub. All the sub seems to do is rattle everything in the car and not put out near enough bass (atleast for me :bom: ) Well I have been talking to the crutchfield people online and i have chosen all that i want and need, to order at a later date, today i go and take apart the dash to get to the back of the radio and dont see any plug ins, also i looked around at the firewall and do not see any holes that amp wire could fit through. So my question is how do I fish a wire through the firewall (without drilling) and how do i connect it to the back of the stock RF head unit... btw the sub I want is a RF if that makes any difference

·
on line
1,638 Posts
There is a rubber boot on the driver's side of the firewall that most people punch a hole and run a wire through. Don't know if you're getting a self enclosed sub with amp built in or separate pieces. But if you intend on keeping the stock RF headunit. You'll need something that takes speaker level/high level inputs. Or buy a line level converter.

But I do believe that the RF headunit uses external amps which are located under the passenger's seat. So maybe the RF already puts out line level outputs.

I'd assume that one of the above two would apply to you.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
if you look under the dash at the top left corner you can see the grommet into the engine bay...it can be seen very easily from under the hood also, every easy to get to.....

there is also one on the passenger side, which is nice since the battery is on the passenger side....but....it's a pain in the a$$ to get to and even more of a pain to fish the wire through..(i would know, i spent 2 hours getting my sub wire through there.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
The amp shows having both speaker level and line level inputs. Not knowing much about the RF set-up, you can get the amp inputs by tapping into the speaker outs at the back of the headunit or maybe under the passenger seat if indeed the stock amps are located there.

·
on line
264 Posts
you get a special wiring harness that adds sub outputs to the head unit i am running it in my car and there is a groment about 2 inches in diameter in the fire wall and you can run the wire through there i have other wires in there as well

·
on line
874 Posts
Go thru the cap on the driver side, way eiaser to get to..pop off the door molding(the bottom step plates) and run it in the channel towards the back, you can also run the RCA's at that time too, i didnt i ran down the other side so no electronic interference..... for your ground unbold either the dirver of pass rear seat, you want good bare metal contact, and run yout 3-5 ft ground wire to there... then just connect up to the amp...

·
on line
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thanks for the advice

When tearing apart the dash i noticed how little room there was behind the RF head unit. Is there enough room for the harness needed to plug into the HU?
I'm a newb at this if you couldn't tell hence all the questions

btw are there any threads where it shows you step by step how to wire a sub with an amp?

·
on line
1,361 Posts
FredX said:
Wow thanks for the advice

When tearing apart the dash i noticed how little room there was behind the RF head unit. Is there enough room for the harness needed to plug into the HU?
I'm a newb at this if you couldn't tell hence all the questions

btw are there any threads where it shows you step by step how to wire a sub with an amp?
If you buy the sub and amp from crutchfield they will send you wire diagrams. However, its easy. Plug RCA or speak level inputs to the amp, plug the power cable and ground cable to the amp, hook the speak wires to the amp and then to the speaker. It's really that simple.

Now on to my opinion on what you should do.
This is the amp I use cheap and works well. It's the 2nd one I have owned, the other is in my old jeep that my dad drives and it's still pumping out solid tunes.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Tv07uoOeVFF/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=120&i=489AP400&tp=115
The sub I used
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-m3LIcmAFG8W/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=520&i=1081050W&tp=111

Regardless, I am sure the alpine amp is better amp but it's also way more expensive. Same for the sub, I am sure it will be louder but again more money. I am sure you could buy a rockford sub still and build your own box. I think I have total in mine with my HU $180, amp 80, sub 90, wire kit 30, box free.

If you get a cheaper amp and sub maybe you could get a new HU and make the process easier :geek:

See the stereo write up in the how to MC, myself and someone else all contributed different versions of similar right ups

·
on line
1,361 Posts
also, i noitced the amp you got have listed is 400watts, but the sub power range is 50 - 200, the amp I listed bridged has 200 output, you might look into another amp of some sort with a little less power and cheaper cost.

Also, you could build a custom box like some of us have done to fit in the back of you X with out taking up to much space and then buy a sub to for it. Between a cheaper amp and buying a sub that isn't preboxed, you could save enough to buy a HU. Just a suggestion, let me know and I can give you the measurements to my box if you want.

If you went this route I doubt your box and sub would be quite as loud as the combo you have selected but my set up still rattles all of my mirrors if I want it too.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
one last note, when I got my set up on line from crutchfield, i found some $20 off a $100 purchase coupon codes online. I broke my items up into a few purchases to maximize my savings. Search around and you might find some. I think I got $50 off (had a $10 off a $50 coupon code as well). Google it.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
quick tip, its best to run your RCAs and power cables apart. not together. alhought it is easier that way, you could run into sound quality and crispness issues running them side by side. if possible, run the RCAs on the passenger side, then up to the HU.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
125inA30zone said:
quick tip, its best to run your RCAs and power cables apart. not together. alhought it is easier that way, you could run into sound quality and crispness issues running them side by side. if possible, run the RCAs on the passenger side, then up to the HU.
Good point, I ran my power down the drivers side, under the drivers seat, through the cup holder area to under the passenger seat.

My RCA i ran from the head unit tucked it under the console unit on the passenger side to the seat. No need to remove anything for this just push it underneath.

·
on line
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Xterraclamper said:
Fredx,

I just installed that same amp in my Son's Civic last week...here is a link for pics on photobucket...they show you some wiring direction and connection options...any questions, feel free to ask..

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u206/1Krapola/
holy wiring!

actually i kind of already changed my mind on what stuff im getting for the sub i was thinking the Alpine Type-R (500watts RMS-1500watts peak, $115) and for the amp i was looking at a Kenwood eXcelon (600 watts RMS- 1200watts peak, $175 )
Can anyone recommend a sealed or ported box since I have to get one now?

And also what kind of conversion thing do i need to get for the back of the head unit?

·
on line
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow, i just looked through the other pages of your sons pictures and he has 2 type r's, hows he like them? I would only be getting one

·
on line
143 Posts
The R's are connected to the Alpine amp 1kw mounted on top of the ported box. I like very loud music and some serious base. While tuning or setting the amp output levels, they made me physically ill from the amount base produced. I would say they stand up to expected results...Later when his buddy gets his remaining gear, we will install type X's pushed with the same 1kw amp per sub in a Lexus ls300....I expect a more severe reaction :colors:

Michael

·
on line
1,574 Posts
as far as sealed or ported, it depends on you. if u like rap, hard rock, classic rock, ect, then ported, but make sure you have an amp with output levles because it may be too bassy. (yes thats is now a word). so overall i would suggest ported.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
i used a sealed box, I didn't want the super boomy bass the comes with a ported box. I wanted it to be tight and crisp which is what a sealed provides. Like it says above depends on what you listen too.

I do know my sealed single 10 inch does hit hard when listening to rap and shakes my mirrors. But maybe you want to shake other peoples mirrors as well :headbang:

·
on line
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can anyone give me a product website of what I need to get some RCA outputs for the back of the HU?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts