Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
on line
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother in law is coming to CO in a few weeks with wife and 1 year old baby. We want to go on a road trip to UT for a few days. I am trying to figure out a way to fit my wife, my baby and I plus the other 3 in the X. Any suggestions? Car seats take up a lot of space so If I just tie down the 2 infant carriers there would be room for only 1 adult in the back (+ 2 up front = we are 1 short).

Want happened to the good old days of bench seats a minimum restraints? (I miss my old Chevy Caprice).

:geek:

·
on line
962 Posts
hmm, roof rack the kids?!

no, I'm kidding. if possible, you could try removing the single rear bottom seat and folding the back flat and have two child seats facing eachother still attached to the seatbelt and then ratchet strap them so that they are secure...just a though.

·
on line
245 Posts
I smell a "Fit as many people as possible in your X" How-To!!! :toothy5:

·
on line
1,123 Posts
That's a tough one. I've got my 2 year old daughter's car seat right behind the driver and it is a cramped fit for 2 adults in the back. The only solution that I can see, and I'm not necessarily recommending it, would be to take advantage of the utilitrack hooks in the back and put the infant seats there. You'll have to judge how understanding your wife and your brother-in-laws wife would be to such a suggestion.

Wheeling in Colorado seems pretty much done so maybe you just need to rent a [gasp] mini-van [/gasp] while they are in town.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
My vote is for renting a van. The child seats should be latched in as they were designed and I don't think anyone should sit in the cargo area. With 2 kid seats in the back one adult would be a tight squeeze. I know with our 1 kid seat it's tight for two people to sit in the back with her.

If you get everyone in your X and they are comfortable but then something happens and someone gets hurt because they are not strapped in correctly you wont be happy with yourself.

That being said, we rolled with 7 guys back in an s10 chevy blazer back in high school, Panama city all the way to souther Indiana. Two up front, 3 in the back seat, and 2 in the rear on the luggage. Lucky we never got pulled over.

·
on line
119 Posts
Rent a van/suburban or something designed to hold that many people. I love the X, but it is not designed to be a people hauler.

·
on line
3,331 Posts
I say you tow another X with your X and put the two adults in the second vehicle....BRILLIANT! This way you don't have to drive a crappy van and your brother in law gets to ride in style too. Plus by towing you save the second vehicles gas mileage.

·
on line
191 Posts
Sounds like someone needs an LR3 or Land Cruiser.

·
on line
704 Posts
Rent a 'Burban. Vans are for sissies :) At least you can look like soccer mom.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
My wife currently is driving an 07 Pathfinder and we are considering moving it within the next year for a minivan. I am not a huge fan of minivans but the new town and country looks pretty freakin nice. That last row of seats in the Pathy are a joke. I knew they were when we bought them but I thought we could work with them.

Turns out not so much.

·
on line
551 Posts
Yep that's why I also have a Suburban: hauling family plus guests.
Plus I can take them on some of the back roads with no fear of breaking anything (within reason)
Oh and it tows our pop up with no trouble also

1 - 20 of 27 Posts